Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Advertised freq ranges and getting more low (186)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advertised freq ranges and getting more low (186)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 12:08am
Originally posted by phildat phildat wrote:

one of the most sensible and well explained bits of advice ive seen on this forum for a long time....Thumbs Up

+1
I appreciate the time it took you to type all that,
Cheers Beer
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 1:32pm
haha no problem, hope it made some sense - was typed just before i went to bed [and yes i go to bed early, up early nowadays!].

And yes, my translation of Db to perceived volumes are way off, will correct them now so anyone else who reads this wont get confusedEmbarrassed.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Is better you just build cabs that meet your spec.

Not many horn designs around that will properly achieve at least 40hz, needed for Hip Hop.

Stack of 4x WSX or 4x Superscoopers will do it with ease.

Think there is guy on your island with Superscoopers + V18-1000, and heard he trembles the ground.Nuke

Scoops for hiphop surprises me, because I thought hiphop beats have quite a flat sound (compared to roots reggae) and would not need so much bass.

I have never heard that music on such speakers anywhere, but I guess that is because usually hiphop folks don't know much about speakers and don't bring their own systems.

Actually I wanted to start a thread about which speakers are the most suitable for hiphop, because I get asked quite a lot to use my system for that and thought scoops wouldn't work well.
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 4:09am
Play this through your scoops- and stand back

Lots of Hiphop coming out with low 'rumbley' notes. Good scoops sound great for hiphop. If I had to pick between 4 scoops or 4 horns, I'd pick the 4 horns for dance/soca and the scoops for everything else.

My 2 cents.Approve
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 1:26am
Yes, but there is also quite some hiphop where deep bass is non existent.
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Ras Loud Ras Loud wrote:

Yes, but there is also quite some hiphop where deep bass is non existent.

True, as is there is some dub lacking in deep bass also. I don't know where the line should be drawn......
I think a good sub is a good sub. If playing one genre or style of music through them all night, I think with some processing it can be made to sound good to suit it.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 7:57am
@Lev. I used to see reggae sounds hired for hip hop dos all the time. In the 80s and early 90s there was more use of the 808 and the long decays of 808 hits needed something that went low to really feel them. People forget about the importance of sub in hip hop still, a fast kick is important of course but I don't know of any reggae sounds adjusting their kick section to reproduce the kick but then we may have just be impressed by the b-line. Also worth noting that synth basses in hip hop can be well heavy too.

I can't see why scoops can't be used for soul, hip hop and other styles of music if they have a good kick section, some EQ might help.

That said, I like good double 18s on hip hop and I'll also always remember going to warehouse jams in the 80s with ASS 215 horns - sounded great but never as heavy as scoop systems. I think there should be a thread on this too ...

S
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 9:14am
Last night we did another live gig with two scoops and one 1850 horn per side, scoops running 30-80, 1850 from 80 to 160hz. There was slight cut at 66hz for both and 1850s had another cut around 130hz. Sounded better, also for live stuff, than most pro brand subs.

Just a sidenote about versatility
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 9:54pm
Yesterday I used two 18" scoops from 25 to 90 and four 15" reflex bins from 90 to 200 at a hiphop event.

When one of the DJ's started I didn't see any activity on my VU-meters for the kick and sub bass, so I was worrying that something with the system was wrong. Quickly I threw on a King Earthquake 12" for test purposes. Immediately the VU-meters showed heavy activity and a guy from the venue was worrying that the colour or the concrete from the ceiling would crumble down. Big smile

Later some other hiphop tracks with some fat bass were played, but the Dutch hiphop audience was not used to such heavy bass and liked it more when the scoops were almost turned off. Maybe the venue was also too small for such a heavy system. Next time I think it will make more sense just to use the reflex bins from 40 to 180.

Trinidad_12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 4:35pm
Haven't been on in a few days, but thanks for the very informative read! Everything makes a little more sense now mk2. I went to my local music shop to hear some ab-36's in person, and even the sales guy confirmed some of what I've read here regarding usability below 45-50hz, I don't feel so bad anymore about the 186 horn's usable freq range.
I'm just going to think through what I'm building and decide on the right cabs. thanks.
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 3:47am
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

Originally posted by phildat phildat wrote:

one of the most sensible and well explained bits of advice ive seen on this forum for a long time....Thumbs Up

+1
I appreciate the time it took you to type all that,
Cheers Beer

Indeed top work Thumbs Up
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12