Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid Side Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 1:46am
"I made a comment two days ago about designing a mid side speaker array. Ted Fletcher and a few others have designed speakers that are based on the mid side technique (but using speakers to reproduce stereo instead of mic's to record stereo) Airsound etc. 
I have put a lot more thought into this since the comment and I'm not sure how it can actually make sounds appear left or right as the time of arrival differences would be next to non existant (which is part of the idea) and I don't understand how you recieve the guitar for example at a higher level at one ear than the other. It does make sense though that by altering the amount of a sound in the side speakers the image can be made wider, or further away, maybe general area left or right based on the reflections from the left side of the room vs right side, but if that were the case the more you tried to make an instrument appear left or right the further away the sound would appear."

I don't think M/S speakers will be able to create a real soundstage. IMO even stereo speakers don't create a perfect illusion of a sound stage. I would say that M/S speakers create a sense of space and width. The main advantage is the sweet spot being not limited to one specific point including improved clarity and lack of distortion which is normally caused by having 2 speakers playing a mono signal.

Stereo is more often used for stereo effects and to make reverb sound more impressive rather than to use it to create a soundstage I think. It is also often used to give instruments which are in the same frequency zone more room to breathe. I would say it's rather a thing that is used for creativity and to have the option of lighten up the mix than to actually help create an illusion of a real sound stage.  

Edited by hond - 01 December 2012 at 1:51am
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Monkeys Monkeys wrote:

Originally posted by thepersonunknown thepersonunknown wrote:

if i understand you correctly about how the brain interprits the direction sound is comming from, i believe it is similar to triangulation (like what the gprs networks do to locate your position) it is quite amazing realy, but perhaps not so much as the eyes ability to judge distance through a similar method, given the light is sooo much faster than sound and the differences in arival time are even more minute.

Just thought I'd let you know that the way the brain interprets distance from information from the eyes is very different to the way it does so from the ears.

With the eyes the brain mainly uses the differing information from the left and right eyes to determine depth, called 'spatial disparity'. This is how 3D glasses give the perception of depth, by delivering two slightly different images to each eye.

With the ears, since the speed of sound is relatively slow, the different times at which a sound reaches each ear can be used, as you said, to perform a sort of 'triangulation' of the origin of the sound, this is also coupled with the differing loudness in each ear to give better accuracy.

The really impressive part, for me at least, comes in the brains ability to interprets sounds in 3 dimensions, that is, in front, behind, above, or below. As merely using the difference in timing and loudness in each ear would only really give you the location relative to left or right. If that were the case, then an identical sound coming from 2 o'clock, would be perceived the same as if it came from 4 o'clock. But it isn't, we are able to perceive when something is behind us, or above or below us, even with our eyes closed.

This is something which is actually still relatively poorly understood from a neuroscience perspective. It is believed that it involves a very subtle interaction between the sounds timing information and the shape of the ears, and the way that the sound is 'funneled' into the ears. So that a sound coming from above, will be funneled in along the base of the ear canal, and then stimulate a specific part of the cochlea more strongly than if it were coming from the bottom, and vice-versa. Giving the perception of 3 dimensions!

Hopefully someone finds that as interesting as I did writing it! I did a degree in Neuroscience and hardly ever get to use the information that I've learned, so thought I'd jump at the opportunity

very interesting mate. a lot of stuff i had neer even thoug about thereThumbs Up

cheers
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 11:37am
when you compare those binaural recordings with that matchbox recording supposedly done with holophonics by that guy Zuccarelli I'm always amazed that the holophonics recording succeeds at giving you the illusion that the sound is front of you when wearing headphones; I haven't heard this with binaural recordings yet
cyte View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Monkeys Monkeys wrote:

Hopefully someone finds that as interesting as I did writing it! I did a degree in Neuroscience and hardly ever get to use the information that I've learned, so thought I'd jump at the opportunity

This is why I love speakerplans
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 3:22pm
I have been doing some serious testing with this mid/side technique and the results are interesting:

1. You don't get a stereo image at all:
the point of this mid/side technique (with mono center and inverted sides) is to create some sort of an illusion of a room or a concert hall with sound bouncing off the side walls. Directional information? Do not count on it.

2. Reverb sounds amazing:
yes reverb sounds even better than on regular stereo AND it sounds the same no matter where you stand in the room

3. the mono/inverted sides create a very different mixdown of a track. Certain intruments, heavily panned can disappear or become too loud. Sometimes vocals just disappear and sometimes you hear instruments you never heard before when you were listening to a normal stereo system.

One note: although sometimes you hear an entirely different mixdown: it still sounds very good and pleasing and balanced.. just very different from what you're used to. It's quite strange actually.

4. you do get a nice soundfield that is the same no matter where you stand in the room. No more sweet spot!

5. Bass clarity improves!
This doesn't need much explanation I think.

6. movies are amazing! if you place the system below the screen, the voices appear to come out of the screen and they have a lot of clarity.

All in all; I think this is pretty interesting.. but if some one knows a way how to filter out the unique left and right information from a stereo signal, please tell me because IF there's a way to do it... that would just be awesome.

my test setup:
center speaker: mono signal (L+R)
left side speaker (very close to the center speaker): side signal (L-R)
right side speaker (very close to the center speaker): side signal (L-R) -> inverted

I ran everything through ableton. You can also do it the analog way by changing the polarity of XLR cables.

Edited by hond - 18 January 2013 at 3:30pm
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 4:20pm
To present only the unique left and right, using software, I would just use a mid/side plugin and mute the mid and send the resultant signal to the left and right.
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 4:38pm
I did not know plugins like that existed. Looks like I've got some new material to test out :)
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 5:01pm

http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

EDIT: hm upon further investigation I don't think this program is capable of filtering out the true stereo information

Edited by hond - 18 January 2013 at 5:14pm
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 5:15pm
I use MSED too.  When producing I find that I can get nice surround sound effects by adding gain to the side and reducing it to the mid.

It works for me.  If you run in a mono signal and mute the mid, it is silent.  If you bounce a track after you mute the mid, so it is only stereo, and then run the resultant track through with the sides muted, it is also silent.

You can do similar things with a compressor with side chaining capabilities, but it takes some doing.

Edited by b grade - 18 January 2013 at 5:19pm
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 5:43pm
yeah all well but I knew about that. I thought you said the side button gave me the unique left vs. right stereo information.

what  I mean:

unique Left stereo = only the information that is different from the right channel
unique Right stereo = only the information that is different from the left channel

There's no way you can get that information out of a stereo file without some funky brain twisting algorithmic digital processing. I've broken my brains over it and it is impossible to achieve in an analog thinking kind of way if that makes sense to you

hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 5:45pm
the encode mode sends L-R or R-L to your right speaker.
the decode mode probably sends L-R to the right speaker and R-L to the left (and the other way round) but with a bit of mid mixed in i think

the incline mode sends L-R to the right speaker and R-L to the left (or the other way round)

Edited by hond - 18 January 2013 at 5:51pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 12:13am
For "true MS playback" you would in theory need a dipole loudspeaker for the S signal..... electrostatics anyone?? Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>