Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What compression driver?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 7:16am
yea the best i was finding was around 133, which would cut it realy, but i would like to have a little headroom. the 2 line array drivers is the best ive thought of so far. 2 of em on a wide horizonral wave guide with narrow vertical dispersion 80/90 degree by 30 degree (10 up 20 down) or the like. bloody expensive though.
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 9:16am
Originally posted by JamesFlipside JamesFlipside wrote:

What are peoples feelings and experience with different compression drivers?
I'm looking for a 1.4" driver to cross over with the mids at about 2k on quite a soft slope.
My preference has always been Beyma generally but i've been looking at Faital Pro recently and they look pretty sweet! anyone use these?
Also there's BMS but the only dedicated HF compression they do is Ferrite... Still though?
J
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 10:37am
"but which 1 or 1.4, 1.5inch comp horn combos can play at 135db cont between 3kish and right up to 20k reasonably flat."

None.

(no kidding!)

A 60° x 40° horn might be 112dB up to 3.5Khz or so, and be able to play 135dB on program material peaks with a +23dBW amplifier (200W). Above the mass corner (3.5Khz) on a CD horn you will need the power to increase at about a 6dB/oct rate, needing 800W at 8Khz and 3.2KW at 16Khz (ignoring power compression and power handling of course).
djk
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 3:30pm

Originally posted by thepersonunknown thepersonunknown wrote:

sorry for the hyjack, but which 1 or 1.4, 1.5inch comp horn combos can play at 135db cont between 3kish and right up to 20k reasonably flat.

Hi.

I made a thread on the General Forum, which pertained to looking for a high frequency compression driver that was flat from 10 kHz – 20 kHz. Many of the members offered a lot of options so you may want to try to locate that topic.

I ended up purchasing the Faital Pro HF 140 with the recommended horn Faital Pro used to acquire their advertised frequency response. It performs well however, still cannot match the ultra high frequency performance of my old Motorola Piezo Tweeters. I also own the BMS 4540ND. You can achieve a flat response with this driver as well from 3 kHz – 20 kHz with a good dosage of equalisation.

One thing you need to keep in mind when observing manufacture’s graphs. It appears the trend these days is to offer a lot of smoothing, which equates to a more consistent response.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 6:36pm
i remember that one eliot. i followed it with intrest.

the thing which characterises my hunt is my embhasis is more on pure spl than being perfectly flat all the way up. ill be using a cd anyway, so i know ill be EQing it anyway.

would it be better for me to use a large format driver and tweeters? i realy dont want to do this. the actual x over point to the mids will be a little above 3k and it seems silly to cross over to a 2 inch up there. not to mention that one of the design objectives was to use only paper cones and non metalic or small diameter comp drivers.

what do we think of using the 2 line array drivers? the 18 sound look good, but i will have a listen to my locals (beyma) as thats nice and easy. its about the only way i would consider using more than one driver.

anyway, sorry to original poster, if this drags along more all make a new thread, because it is moving well away from the original question
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 11:06pm

Originally posted by thepersonunknown thepersonunknown wrote:

i remember that one eliot. i followed it with intrest.

the thing which characterises my hunt is my embhasis is more on pure spl than being perfectly flat all the way up. ill be using a cd anyway, so i know ill be EQing it anyway.

would it be better for me to use a large format driver and tweeters? i realy dont want to do this. the actual x over point to the mids will be a little above 3k and it seems silly to cross over to a 2 inch up there. not to mention that one of the design objectives was to use only paper cones and non metalic or small diameter comp drivers.

You can use a large format horn on a compression driver and operate it from your desired starting point with an infinite ending point. The frequencies above 3 kHz propagating from the large format horn will be used as additional gain and contribute to the tweeter’s frequency response if you decide to go that route.

Overlapping frequencies on two different types of transducers is not uncommon especially on very old analogue crossovers that offered 12 dB or 6 dB per octave slopes. At times, using such a configuration can remedy a dB loss issue at a given frequency when you require more SPL at a given frequency range.

If done properly, the end result will bring forth a seamless response amongst the drivers in the overall response.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
watchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 6:11pm

i have 4x fbt maxx 6 for mid/tops, they use B&C DE600 compression drivers 3 were blown, i found 1 new DE600 from a company called Crystal and repaired the other 2xDE600 with 2 B&C alternative  diaphragms for the DE610 from blueaan which B&C say are interchangeable with the DE600.

problem is original DE600 compressor sounds crisper than DE600 with new diaphragms, question is when fitting new diaphragm theres 2 surrounds/gaskets  that the diaphragm sits on, do they need to left on or is replacement DE610 diaphragm a "one piece" diaphragm that does not use surround.
spttrial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spttrial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2013 at 10:32am
I guess it might depend om your budget, or whether its a quality aspect you are looking for. Take alook at the beyma cd1014fe. These are quite reasonable and work well
30 years in the business
SBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2013 at 10:46am
i have some BMS 4555 and 1.5" to 2" adaptors for sale

F.T.S.S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12