Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 8 prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 8 prices
    Posted: 06 December 2012 at 6:49pm
Just been to Comet and grabbed a copy of Windows 8 Pro for £25! If you need a copy it might be worth popping along to Comet before they sell out and shut down for good.

Mind you it's the first time I've ever payed for an OS and I feel slightly dirty now.Big smile
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Audio_AL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 7:31pm
Wait......... You paid money for windows 8.......
Let me know how that works out for you. It looks  like complete shit to me! No offense if u like it. But seriously let me know how u like it
Make it loud!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Audio_AL Audio_AL wrote:

Wait......... You paid money for windows 8.......
Let me know how that works out for you. It looks  like complete shit to me! No offense if u like it. But seriously let me know how u like it

Since hearing Bill Gate$ is a murdering SOB, so glad Windows 7 is free for DELLs. Embarrassed
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 7:52pm
The biggest joke are the Microsoft commercials where they act like it is only possible to share files or to watch tv on your computer (or whatever) with the new Windows version
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 8:26pm
I had to buy a copy, unfortunately, for a machine that has to be 100% above board. It was just that fact that is was only twenty five quid!

It's actually not that bad. Only took twenty five minutes to install and be fully running, it starts up in less than a minute and is quite simple to use... apart from those f*&^*g tiles! They really are crap! Even trying to find the Shut-Down button is a nightmare with those.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 8:33pm
What does 8 really give you over '7 ?

Apart from ruined GUI, and probably even more cpu/mem hungry !?

Some of us want PC Gui to be flash, but not look like a phone.Dead
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

.......Even trying to find the Shut-Down button is a nightmare with those.

I spent ages trying to find it! 

Gave up in the end, loaded task manger, loaded command line

shutdown -s

really couldn't get on with it, so re installed windows 7 Tongue

Edited by Sinai Sound - 06 December 2012 at 8:34pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 10:43pm
I like it, although having to ctrl+alt+del to shut down is a bit annoying... do need to spend some time reading/watching tutorials to get the most out of it, seems with dual monitor you can run tiles on one screen and desktop on the other. Hope to find more shortcuts, win+tab and a few other +tab combos seem to do new things.
Really want a tablet/slate computer now, to take advantage of the touchscreen functionality
Audio_AL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 12:11am
I think that is what they were going for. An operating system for tablets/pad/phone type machines. If I needed to upgrade my Ipad2 in the future and didn't go with an apple product then there is a tiny chance but you will NEVER see Windows 8 on one of my desktops. My workflow for graphic design and video editing would be severely compromised I think. We can't have some flashy bells and whistles affecting the bottom line, now can we? ;)
Make it loud!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 10:23am
So I'm guessing '7 x64 is possibly the pinnacle of M$ Windows technology.

Unless Windows suddenly becomes POSIX compliant. LOL
Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 12:48pm
I have been using Windows 8 for about 6 months thanks to Microsoft prerelease to partners and I love it.

Not having the Start button is a pain, but you can install Classic Shell for free from the link below which puts back the start button:-

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net

Once you have the start button back it is a great OS.

One thing I can not workout is why Microsoft use the same interface on Windows Server 2012. Without putting back the start button using Classic Shell trying to get the right mouse over regions is a right pain when using remote desktop.

Edited by Administrator - 07 December 2012 at 12:48pm
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:24pm
Thanks for the classicshell link. Perfect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>