Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THAM 18 Build Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THAM 18 Build Pics
    Posted: 10 December 2012 at 6:21am

Make it loud!
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 9:49am

Nice to see a THAM18 build.  Have you had a chance to run it yet?  What driver are you using?

Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 10:06am
My version that sticks to the original THAM15 folding  Driver 18N850v2

www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
onefootskenk77 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefootskenk77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 11:03am
How heavy do they sound?
EMPIRE SOUND
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by onefootskenk77 onefootskenk77 wrote:

How heavy do they sound?

Heavy is subjective, how heavy would you like them to sound?

Tony
dwens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 4:02pm
25-30 kg please. Maybe an extra gram or two, depends if I've had a heavy lunch.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Originally posted by onefootskenk77 onefootskenk77 wrote:

How heavy do they sound?

Heavy is subjective, how heavy would you like them to sound?

Tony

....THIS HEAVY!!!!!!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Audio_AL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 5:18pm
The family was sleeping when I finished it late last night so I didn't get a chance to play with it. Today after work ill give it a good trashing and let you guys know what I think about it. If its good (Not really doubting it at all :D ) I will most likely build one more and possibly three more. I have mine loaded with the B&C 18tbx100.
Make it loud!
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 9:12pm
looking forward to the results, well done Thumbs Up
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
Audio_AL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 3:52am
Its kind of hard for me to compare the THAM 18 to anything else because I only have one. It has a really nice kick and its pretty loud. Once I get another one made I am hoping it will drop a few Hz lower. A little tweaking of the EQ and this little box packs quite a punch. Overall I am happy with this enclosure. One thing I will do differently next time is include much more (all... Embarrassed) of the bracing. When I had the box tipped on its side it was making some slight racket from the bottom. Vibrating wood means wasted SPLs's Wacko
Make it loud!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 8:52am
Regarding bracing, yes you need loads more especially the panel opposite the driver.

Tony
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 8:10pm
Hello Audio_AL

I'm impressed you managed to put these toghether considering the low quality of the proposal drawings, here you can find more details on them (including bracing) :

http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?entry=THAM18-details

Thanks for bulding and sharing your efforts and impressions, my guess is that the THAM18 will be used mainly in somewhat larger scale applications, and in such cases maybe stacked in groups of four or more, this configuration will most lilkey extend their low end response somewhat.

I'm currently working on a AkAbak script for these boxes as I'm trying to get a more detailed and perhaps more accurate simulation of their preformance, but simulations are not worth much compared to the information one gets from a build.

Now for some educated guesswork, Tony's excellent (as ususal with him) design (posted above) will no doubt provide more low end response, they are also rather compact which is allways a good thing, it is no doubt an over all a great and a good alternative to this one and I hope to hear them one day.

Big thanks from a cold, dark and very snowy Sweden // Martinsson

Edited by martinsson - 12 December 2012 at 8:48pm
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>