Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane 400W 18"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fane 400W 18"
    Posted: 11 December 2012 at 11:34am
Does anyone have any advice or previous experience of building scoops for Fane 18" 400W drivers?

I am poised and ready to build, using the Super Scooper plan.

I'd appreciate any wisdom that may help me avoid any rookie mistakes!

Cheers.
Goodvibetribe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 12:14pm
Are these the really old Collossus Studio ones? I have a pair of scoops with these in and they sound awesome, but im still searching or the plans.
scott_fury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Goodvibetribe Goodvibetribe wrote:

Are these the really old Collossus Studio ones? I have a pair of scoops with these in and they sound awesome, but im still searching or the plans.

Yep. Studio Colossus 18 Bass.

My other option is to scale up the Fane 15" scoop plan from their loudspeaker design book.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 7:55pm
I found this on a previous forum....

Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

Another rule of thumb with scoops and compliance is try to make the front chamber 4 times less than the Vas. So if the woofer has a Vas of 200 litres then make the front chamber 50 litres. Woofers with a high Vas of around 400 need a front chamber of around 100 litres to work well.

The Vas for the Fane's is 366, so ideally the front chamber should be around 90 litres.

Here's a question.....

What's the volume of the front chamber on the Super Scoop? I got about 56litres, but not certain exactly how much of the front chamber is the front chamber (.... you get me?)

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by scott_fury scott_fury wrote:

I found this on a previous forum....

Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

Another rule of thumb with scoops and compliance is try to make the front chamber 4 times less than the Vas. So if the woofer has a Vas of 200 litres then make the front chamber 50 litres. Woofers with a high Vas of around 400 need a front chamber of around 100 litres to work well.

The Vas for the Fane's is 366, so ideally the front chamber should be around 90 litres.

Here's a question.....

What's the volume of the front chamber on the Super Scoop? I got about 56litres, but not certain exactly how much of the front chamber is the front chamber (.... you get me?)

Put Fane 18B400 into chamber of 90 litres, and it's Good Night Mr Bond.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AfZI0xqGuFg/TYtJtNy4DyI/AAAAAAAADFg/z5pr8IDxSAA/s1600/drax.JPG
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 8:44pm
Fair enough, but I'm more of a....

"I like a girl in a bikini. No concealed weapons."

....type of a guy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 9:42pm
If anyone's looking for me.... i'll be in the newbie forum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 10:05pm
I may have got the Vas wrong for the Fane's. Looking at the Thiele-Small database I reckon it's 209 litres not 366.
Goodvibetribe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 10:44pm

Originally posted by Goodvibetribe Goodvibetribe wrote:

Yep. Studio Colossus 18 Bass.

My other option is to scale up the Fane 15" scoop plan from their loudspeaker design book.

Im Starting to think that this is what mine are (with a couple of mods) i can let you know after the weekend when i am able to measure them.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 10:54pm

I may have got the Vas wrong for the Fane's. Looking at the Thiele-Small database I reckon it's 209 litres not 366.

Build a super scooper, ensuring you have bib handy, for drooling at the effortless notes rolling out, when you load it with 18B400.

EDIT:18B400 has parms similar to Bline 18-800, and that is a stonka' in SS18.

Edited by levyte357- - 11 December 2012 at 10:58pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 11:25pm
Music to my ears
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 1:14am
have had studio colossus 18s many years ago...the guy i sold them to stil has them to this day...everytime i speak to him i try and buy them back but he wont give them up! beautiful drivers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>