Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dextrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dextrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2018 at 11:38pm
Stereo would be nice to have, but with a base of approximately 50 cm it's more of a nice to have than a real difference, right?

I chose the driver because I had been looking for suitable drivers for a long time. Since I don't have enough knowledge to decide what's best, except for the obvious SPL/W, low-end extension, ND drive for lower weight, I picked the NS6, as it seemed to carry the recommendation with the most "authority".

Compared to the ND140 the NS6 has a higher efficiency (both quoted at 2,83V!) and a bit lower extension from what I can see. What are the pros of the ND140?

@lutkeveld: Really looking forward to seeing your project move on. This thread here and yours are the ones I have subscribed to to get proper ideas for a boombox. So I am really glad there is stuff going on again.

I had kind of been hoping for a smaller Soundboks. Sadly I cannot really get excited about the size and price point of the Soundboks (and the v2 update was a bit overhyped in my opinion as well, but I guess they gotta pay the bills as well ...)

Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2018 at 11:52pm
lutkeveld - glad to hear you are working on the design again (or still). The Sure battery looks nice. It is very similar to a 6 cell version I was designing. In any case I’ll plan on building your speaker when it is published. :)
adjustablegroover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjustablegroover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 10:13am
Hi everyone. Sorry to be a pain, but can anybody direct me to the correct page for the NS6 plan set. Each link that I’ve found seems to go to an error 404 message. Thanking you in anticipation.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 7:37pm
Try the Saturnus sketch up warehouse file:
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user/0260480754699374586453015/Saturnus?nav=models

The direct link is: NS6 Mini Sketchup

Edited by Aterren - 21 January 2018 at 7:41pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjustablegroover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 11:52pm
Ahh... there it is... thanks so much
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 2:09pm
Hi guys.

Sorry for the long hiatus. I will finally finish the Boominator Mini design over this Summer.

The design for the final version really isn't changed that much but I'll make full use new possibilities that have opened up for DIY builders over the last couple of years, especially 3D printing. It'll still be made of a wood outer shell but with 3D printed parts for support and to make it easier to assemble. Using 3D printing can also make it easier to make routing guides to get a uniform finish but I'm hoping there will be small wood shop owners that'll offer flat backs for the wood parts.

The challenge with designing the 3D printed parts is to make them small enough that they can be printed by hobbyist 3D printers available in most hacker spaces, and to assemble them from parts in way that is still mechanically strong.

Drivers will be 4x Dayton Audio ND140-4 woofer and 4x Dayton Audio ND16FA tweeter. Together these sound absolutely superb and the tweeters offer an extremely good off-axis response. Test cabinets show these can offer reference studio monitor levels of sound quality when used correctly.

Amplifier + DSP + BT will be provided with the Sure/Wondom JAB250 and JAB350 boards which are essentially a TPA3116 amp + BT 4.0 module + MPPT charger module on one board, and a TPA3116 amp + ADAU1701 DSP (same as in miniDSP) on the other board. The TPA3116s can pull 2 Ohm and 3 Ohm loads of the paralleled woofers and tweeters simultaneously just fine when the voltage is limited to below 15V and with the heat sinks on the boards already. (Note: the cheaper JAB2/3 in the 30W version with TPA3118s can't do that though).

Batteries will naturally be LiFePO4 cells. More specifically 8x3300mAh 26650 cells for a combined 12.8V 84Wh battery, so you can still check it in as hand luggage should you need to bring it on vacation or something.

I'll make the DSP program with all the bells and whistles you expect including comprehensive EQ for flat response, multiple settings of Linkwitz transform bass correction for different room types (small, large, and open air), moderate spatializer effect (for increased stereo perception) as well as moderate psychoacoustic bass enhancement.

I'll start work on the final version in earnest in July, and take lots of pictures of the process so you can easily make it yourself. Anyway, great to be back doing some DIY audio again. Cheers.

EDIT: I'll also see if can't order a batch of all the annoying little bits such as switches, connectors, LEDs, and maybe even cable sets directly from China, and sell from a web store or something.

Edited by Saturnus - 10 June 2018 at 2:28pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 4:42pm
Welcome back!   You have been missed.   Please let me know there is anything i can do to help with the process.   
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 5:17pm
Also, I am curious if you considered the ND20FB­4 tweeter.  
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Aterren Aterren wrote:

Also, I am curious if you considered the ND20FB­4 tweeter.  

Thanks for welcoming me back :D And I probably will contact you for advice on how to best support US DIYers.

I did, and I tried it too. They are very close but I prefer the ND16FA because it's physcially a tiny bit smaller so you can move the acoustic centres of the woofer and tweeter a bit closer, and for the stereo perspective get a little more separation. The off-axis response however is the key reason. You really have to go to extreme angles to hear any noticeable drop off below 13khz with the NA16FA. The downside is that you need to cross it over a bit higher but still well within the range where the ND140 sounds excellent, and you have to EQ it a bit more to get a fully flat response but when you have an advanced DSP that's not really a problem.

The biggest problem for the ND20FB­4 is that it's 4 ohms though, and the amp really starts to struggle with two 2 ohm speakers loads. One 2 ohm and one 3 ohm load is just about the limit it'll do.

Edited by Saturnus - 10 June 2018 at 6:01pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Aterren Aterren wrote:

Welcome back!  You have been missed.
Hear hear!

The forum definitely suffered from your absence, and we recently lost _djk_ as I'm sure you've heard..

Good to hear you'll still be contributing to the DIY community - honestly I assumed you'd gotten sick of us and hopped it for good LOL
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
bearberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 9:26pm
Good to see you back, Saturnus. Thanks for all your Boominator work so far, and for the new initiative Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjustablegroover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 11:17pm
Woohoo... you’re back!
Clap
I thought you were eaten by a boks...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 102>