Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pukkita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pukkita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2018 at 11:03am
Been reading but not sure of the JAB amps and cable needed (before Lutkeveld's amp is released)...

JAB2, JAB3? what needs to be connected? An active DSP crossover board?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by pukkita pukkita wrote:

Been reading but not sure of the JAB amps and cable needed (before Lutkeveld's amp is released)...

JAB2, JAB3? what needs to be connected? An active DSP crossover board?

Wondom have made a video that shows the procedure but I'll naturally detail it in as much detail as I can.

And naturally I'll make a custom DSP program for it. I'll also reach out to Wondom to ask for possible custom Boominator Mini sets because I'll actually have to remove 2 of the potmeters on the board and move them to control the volume and room adjustment to the control panel.

Edited by Saturnus - 03 August 2018 at 1:01pm
pukkita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pukkita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2018 at 1:54pm
thanks Saturnus!

Now I realize it will be a 4.0 system to be able to fine-tune via DSP for indoors, etc... understood.

I'm hooked up to this boominator-mini project, as soon as I'm confident I know the right parts will start ordering them.

Having an already made kit will be superb :) 

So it's gonna be 3D-printed?

Edited by pukkita - 03 August 2018 at 1:57pm
Tafse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tafse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 12:10pm
I realize this is under development, but I would very much appreciate a nudge in the right direction so I can plunder on a bit and practice me feeble skills while we wait. Knowing myself I will want to start over again after the first try, no matter how long and well I plan it.
Hopefully someone can answer some of the questions.
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

I'll actually have to remove 2 of the potmeters on the board and move them to control the volume and room adjustment to the control panel.
Does this mean that the Jab2 and 3 is not usable straight out of the box? 
I just received mine and it seems pretty straightforward, and wondom sure has a lot of helpful videos. I did not however order the DSP programming board, and have not dived into that part yet.

As the ND140 is in between the monacor and aura in depth, what is the advisable approach regarding the earlier designs? Is it possible to make some easy adjustments?

I am trying hard to track down a supplier that offer 6-cell lifepo4 19,2 balancing charger and everything else needed. Who are the go-to suppliers in europe?  I have not managed to find an all in one supplier like batteryspace, and trying my luck on aliexpress seems like a dangerous venture. Everything posted earlier in this thread is unfortunately outdated links, and about 12v systems.

Edited by Tafse - 15 August 2018 at 1:28pm
pukkita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pukkita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2018 at 9:20am
Tafse from what I've researched, you can daisy-chain  two 3-cell PCBs ihttps://www.soundimports.eu/en/kab-be.html

Edited by pukkita - 17 August 2018 at 4:12pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2018 at 4:43pm
Saturnus - Any updates?   I am going to have to tear down my workshop for a good while and would love to hang out a few cases before then if possible.  :)
uzip498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzip498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2018 at 10:59am
How long untill the new boominator mini plans are going to be released??
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2018 at 12:30pm
These projects don’t tent to happen on a schedule...
protos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote protos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2018 at 2:09pm

Hi guys.

Sorry for the long hiatus. I will finally finish the Boominator Mini design over this Summer.

You are appreciated by us diyers for your generous input. However you did whet our appetite with a "promise" so it is natural for us to be expectant.
ErikDIY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikDIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2018 at 5:49am

Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Welcome back Saturnus! I have developed a PCB with DSP, BlueTooth 4.2, class-D amplifier and a microcontroller for several tasks such as battery management. It will be released later this year. It's not available for the public yet, however I can send you some prototypes to work with, because the Boominator MINI is one of the applicications it's best suited for. Let me know,

Sounds awesome. And definitely.

I did develop the "perfect amp" for the job too together with Accusafe but since I did that at Soundboks I don't have the rights to use it.

Check your inbox.

It's so nice to see some new development in this thread! Just made an account so I could reply and share
a project that I've been working on lately. I'm currently developing a PCB with basically all of the features that lutkeveld PCB got, but it's based on the TPA3116D2 and the ADAU1701. It also got the CSRA64215 for BT 4.2 with TWS. The board also got an ATMEGA328 for battery indication etc, and it's all (logic) powered by a MP1584 for low standby currents (Qi) of around 150 uA. I'm not yet done as I'm struggling understanding the I2S setup and trying optimise the board as much as possible. I will however take your considerations Saturnus for mapping out a couple of pins for analog volume control (or encoder?) and a switch to change the tuning of the speaker. I also need to learn SigmaStudio so I can be sure that I'm using the right pinouts so that everything will work. (got a JAB3 to play with) I'll do a post showing off my current progress on the diyAudio website where I'll show pictures and go more into detail. Hopefully there will also be some other people out there that can help me so I can start creating a prototype.... And before you ask, you could go with the Sure JAB3 ++, but this board will have everything on a single surface. It won't be as small as lutevelds' board, but it will have the advantage that the home user can easier change the settings of everything (BT name, sounds, events. DSP, and general stuff like amp standby/shutoff time and battery indication...). I'll publish it all as an open source project when it's done so everyone can build it, or get em produced. Let me know saturnus/you guys think :) 

Couldn't get a picture posted, but here's a link to a picture of it in it's current stage (23.11.18)
http://www.dropbox.com/s/5oiyzutiyyxk9h3/V3.2.png?dl=0

-Erik

Edited by ErikDIY - 23 November 2018 at 5:51am
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2018 at 8:58am
That is so cool Erik! If you want some help, send me a DM. I already see some points that can be optimized. I can also share some insights on the software design I did.

The CSRA64215 is a great choice, I want to use that one for rev2 (specifically the BTM625).
What voltage does the logic run on? 3.3V? There might be some better options (lower Iq and cost) for the voltage regulator.

How far are you? What is working? The board layout seems pretty finished already. Very nice project!

Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2019 at 2:28pm
I thought you guys might be interested in an update.

With the advent of the 2.1 amps that are out now, I made a boominator mini with a subwoofer.  I realize it departs from the original design, but it sounds really good and the bass carries outside better than I expected.

In essence, its a boominator mini with the woofer/tweeter cabinets standing up on either side with a .5L subwoofer cabinet in between.  A amp compartment sits on top of the amp and can be removed and used separately if you want to add some speaker taps.

I had some NS6 drivers and the ND16F tweeters leftover.  Sub is a 6.5 Dayton audio in a .5L ported cabinet. 

Edited by Palomino - 05 April 2019 at 2:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 102>