Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 7:27am
Any more hints as to the Mega? Perhaps it deserves its own thread...
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 8:13am

I'll finish this one first before starting on the MEGA but there's at least 2 versions possible as I see it right now. The ultimate in sound quality one with pd.153.er (4 ohms) drivers as originally intended but Eminence Kappalite 3015 will also work at a lower price and lower total weight. Perfect for a "light mega". It'll not go as deep (it will be 95% equal to the Boominator in output just with +6dB in sensitivity) or have the same sound quality as with the pd.153.er drivers though but you also don't have to have minimum 6 amp channels (8 preferred) and a digital dsp like mini-dsp to run it effectively with the Kappalites. You could in principle get by with a stereo amp and passive crossover, although I'd highly recommend a 4 channel amp and active cross-over.

And, yes, I'll make a separate thread for that one.

Edited by Saturnus - 11 January 2013 at 8:19am
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 1:46pm

Drawing completed. Please read the comment field.

It's basically a back to basics Boominator design just scaled down.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=965927e4830845c72ef85ac2733ed8e5

Edited by Saturnus - 13 January 2013 at 12:07pm
Phaedras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaedras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 10:41am
For some reason that links didnt work for me.. But this one does:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=965927e4830845c72ef85ac2733ed8e5 - http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=965927e4830845c72ef85ac2733ed8e5

Edit: Why on earth does the forum clone the link when its posted?

Edited by Phaedras - 13 January 2013 at 10:44am
Zuk4wd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuk4wd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 10:23am
Nice looking design,

what 8" drivers will work, High sensitivity ?
and what's the polarity of the rear woofers ?

the last question may sound stupid. but i don't get the principle of the bipolar design.

cardioide sub doesn't work without delay and seperate amp channels

Edited by Zuk4wd - 14 January 2013 at 11:03am
More sound,Less noise
tcourtneyvincent View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 11:54am
The woofers are only 91db and the tweeter only 89db, why not choice something more sensitive?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Zuk4wd Zuk4wd wrote:

Nice looking design,

what 8" drivers will work, High sensitivity ?
and what's the polarity of the rear woofers ?

the last question may sound stupid. but i don't get the principle of the bipolar design.

cardioide sub doesn't work without delay and seperate amp channels

No 8" drivers have been found that adequately satisfies the requirements that the HP10W (10") or Aura NS6 (6") does. There will not be a 8" version as I regard it as redundant.

It's bipole, so both woofers are in phase.

Cardoid subs attampts to achieve the opposite of what is required for a bipole design, and that is to control dispersion in the sub frequencies by controlling phase of the individual drivers. That naturally requires delays and seperate amps. A bipolar design is opposite, it attempts to make the whole speaker omni-polar at all frequencies.

When used outdoors a bipolar system really equals setting up an infinite in height and width virtual wall down the middle of the speaker. So in effect each side is a 2pi enviroment instead of a 4pi enviroment. Each side will also in effect have a total experienced Qts that is half of the actual Qts of the speaker. These are effects of a bipolar speaker that only relates to outdoors free air/semi-free air enviroments.  

Edited by Saturnus - 14 January 2013 at 4:41pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by tcourtneyvincent tcourtneyvincent wrote:

The woofers are only 91db and the tweeter only 89db, why not choice something more sensitive?

91 dB/w/m is actually quite good for a $6 6" woofer. You try finding something at $6 at has the same sensitivity, and not least sound as good. The Aura NS6 actually does sound much much much better the it's price point suggests. (The low price is only due to it be a clearance sale, so better get them while they're still sold. A similar driver will not be available again for under $20).

After filtering and in the used cabinet it's actually close to 90dB/w/m over the entire range. Keep in mind that high frequencies are boosted (slightly) by diffraction which is taken into account in the design.

Remember that it has 4 of these drivers so total sensitivity for the system is around 96dB/w/m.
tcourtneyvincent View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 1:00pm
Do you have plans for the design? Or do i just guess the distance apart for the driver and the size of the gap in the middle?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by tcourtneyvincent tcourtneyvincent wrote:

Do you have plans for the design? Or do i just guess the distance apart for the driver and the size of the gap in the middle?

?

The plans are above, just download them.

(They are in sketch-up format which is a free 3D design software (or at least you can download a free version), all measurements and so on are done with the measurement tool. All elements are in components, so you can just move them around as you like.)

Edited by Saturnus - 14 January 2013 at 1:21pm
Pawneira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawneira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 1:41pm
So what's the estimated price for all this? 

I want to build this for Roskilde Smile

Edit: Sounds awesome though!

Edited by Pawneira - 14 January 2013 at 1:54pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Pawneira Pawneira wrote:

So what's the estimated price for all this? 

Edit: Sounds awesome though!

That really depends. It's just a bare bones design. I'm not selling anything, so it'll depend on what price you have to pay for the drivers used (depends on freight and customs fees), if you have the wood and tools lying around, what amplifier and battery you choose, and what bling you want to add. Bling is anything from just a handle to carry it with, up to LED lights, GPS tracker (so you/the police can track it if it's stolen), and so on.

If you live in the States (which I don't) it could be built for around $110 including everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 102>