Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ravni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Filter is a hybrid 2.-order with L-R LP and B-W HP at 4.6Khz. No extra attenuation or compensation circuits necessary. This is due to an L-R filter being 6dB down at x-o and a B-W being 3dB down at x-o. But a pure b-W also has a 1dB lift at x-o, the hybrid takes care of that while at the same time compensation for the 3dB spike in the woofers FR between 4Khz and 5Khz. Remember to invert phase on the tweeters. Use cheap as dirt components except the cap in series with the tweeters negative pole (it's inverted, remember) which should be at least an MKP type.

Hi, will there be a schematic of this filter made public? 

ps. can't wait to make my own!!
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 4:22pm
i like it. has there been any developmental in LiFePO4 battery prices as these would make it lighter. last time i looked into them though still too expensive. 

I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Phaedras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaedras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 4:35pm
I'm likely to do one, do you have more info on the filter Saturnus? The impedance of the woofers seem to be around 15 ohm at the crossover frequency.. What impedance did you use to calculate the filter?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 4:46pm

Originally posted by Phaedras Phaedras wrote:

I'm likely to do one, do you have more info on the filter Saturnus? The impedance of the woofers seem to be around 15 ohm at the crossover frequency.. What impedance did you use to calculate the filter?

8 ohm (2 in parallel) and 4 ohm for the tweeter which is half the impedance at x-o for one tweeter.

Yes. I'll post a schematics. However, it is likely that components needs slight tweaking in values after building and testing, so any schematics posted now will have to be taken with a grain of salt as it might not be perfectly adjusted from the start. I doubt many will notice the difference though.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 5:00pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Edd Jordan Edd Jordan wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LithiumFerrumPhosphate-LiFePo4-cell-aluminiumCasing-8Ah-/290582322953#vi-content

These look cheap (ish)

I think I saw a LiFePO4  in a standard 12V 7Ah package with built-in BMS for as low as $60 excluding freight recently.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 5:19pm
Well that is a great price i wonder if there are any 24v packs around the same price.

i love the look of the mini boominator cant wait to hear one at a festival this year.

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Edd Jordan Edd Jordan wrote:

Well that is a great price i wonder if there are any 24v packs around the same price.

i love the look of the mini boominator cant wait to hear one at a festival this year.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-6ah-lifepo4-battery-lifp-battery-for-12V-equipment-lithium-12v-6ah/532694245.html

That's for the one I referred to earlier.

But dig around Aliexpress. A vast number of manufacturers/resellers have emerged in the last 2-3 months.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 6:16pm
£62 with shipping not a bad price getting cheaper any how. end of thread hijack. Smile
Pepto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 9:58am
Saturnus, thank's so much for the sketchup's and all the info.  I'm planning to build a mini during the winter.

I would however want to bring the price down just a bit more - If I were to swap the Dayton tweeters for piezo horns instead, would I compromise the integrity of the box in a way that would significantly hurt the sound?  I'm thinking about going for Goldwood piezos, available for under $2 at PE (compared to $12 for the Daytons).  Is this a terrible idea? 
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 10:13am

Originally posted by Pepto Pepto wrote:

Is this a terrible idea?

Yes. I think it is but I can't stop you. Just note that you have to dampen the piezoes by several dB. (A series resistor does not dampen a piezo).

Btw, I just noticed that Intertechnik also has the Dayton tweeters in stock at a good price (€10 each) which is a good deal cheaper than buying them in the States when custom fees and VAT is considered.

http://https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Lautsprecher/Dayton/Dayton-Hochtoener/_70303_H28-ND16FA-6_1768,de,7054,53103

Appearantly Loudspeakershop has them even cheaper at €8½ each. That's cheaper than PE even in retail.

http://lautsprechershop.de/index_hifi_en.htm?lautsprechershop.de/hifi/dayton_en.htm

Edited by Saturnus - 17 January 2013 at 10:49am
Pepto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 11:07am
You saying its a terrible idea would definitely stop me :)  Piezos worked well in the original boominator, so i thought they might work for the mini as well. I will stay with the Daytons now tough.

Thanks for the shop tips. I will try and find cheap stores closer to Sweden (within EU at least).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 102>