Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Larzman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2019 at 4:18pm
That's a very interesting build Palomino, looks great. I like the idea of a sub in between the mini-Boominators, pretty slick. 

Edited by Larzman - 05 April 2019 at 4:20pm
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2019 at 4:53pm
Thanks. 

I have another boominator mini that I am thinking about retro-fitting with a sub cabinet attached from below. 

The Bluetooth on the parts express amp is pretty good and its flexibility in terms of cross-over, treble, sub volume, etc. really helps to tune the box for the best sound.

Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Hi guys.

Sorry for the long hiatus. I will finally finish the Boominator Mini design over this Summer.

Amplifier + DSP + BT will be provided with the Sure/Wondom JAB250 and JAB350 boards which are essentially a TPA3116 amp + BT 4.0 module + MPPT charger module on one board, and a TPA3116 amp + ADAU1701 DSP (same as in miniDSP) on the other board. The TPA3116s can pull 2 Ohm and 3 Ohm loads of the paralleled woofers and tweeters simultaneously just fine when the voltage is limited to below 15V and with the heat sinks on the boards already. (Note: the cheaper JAB2/3 in the 30W version with TPA3118s can't do that though).

Hi Saturnus.Big smile
JAB350/250... Hmm...Shocked I don't seems to be able to locate these boards on the SURE/WONDOM site. DO you have a link to the specific boards, and not "just" the JAB-3/2..? Which I BTW love to use! But the ability to handle low impedance loads is not to neglect.  
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
hollan43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollan43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 5:47pm
ain't the JAB 350 and the JAB250; JAB2-50w and JAB3-50w?

Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:08pm
I like the boominator mini with subwoofer so much (and my son keeps stealing it) that I am going ahead with the conversion of one of my mini's to add a sub.  

Basically, the mini sits on top of a sub cabinet.  The sub cabinet is pretty close to the same size so its no longer really mini.  

The sub cabinet is about .67L and will be double ported and tuned to about 38hz.

The compartment is pretty crowded but since I am using a LifePO4 battery there is room for everything - amp, xover, battery.  

We'll see how it sound vs my other modified mini with the main speaker cabinets running up and down versus the modified mini's side by side.
ovaldezkep2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovaldezkep2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:16pm
Will you show pics of the sub and mini combo?
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:22pm
Yes, once I get them painted.
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 12:55pm
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 12:58pm
This one is a little heavy to lift by the handle, but I think I prefer it to the side handles on the other one I built.  The sub cabinet is a little bigger (.66L vs .5L) and is double ported.  I think it digs a little deeper than the first build.

I can highly recommend if you have the Aura6 driver based mini, add a sub if you don't mind the size.  I now prefer these units to my full sized boominator in all categories except volume.
adjustablegroover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjustablegroover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2019 at 6:16am
Hello, can anybody please direct me to the correct page/plans for the Boominator mini Aura NS6 version?

Many thanks!
uzip498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzip498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2019 at 1:59pm
Boominator mini V1 - Aura NS6

Edited by uzip498 - 18 October 2019 at 2:04pm
apranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:15pm
Many years ago I planned to build a Boominator and so I snagged 4 of the Aura NS 525s.  Life intervened, and I never built it.  The speakers are still in plastic, though!

I understand they are hard to find, so rather than throwing them into the bin, I'd rather they go to a happier hobbiest home.  Any thread watchers interested?  I'm not interested in getting any money for them, just enough to cover shipping which I wouldn't expect to be very high.

Edited by apranger - 07 January 2020 at 11:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102>