Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mr. d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 3:20am

good day all.  i'm a newly registered user at this site but i've been reading up on the boominator mini design (and the boominator design at diyaudio) for some time now.

last year, i built an ice chest stereo.  i use it while i'm at the river and i’m generaly quite happy with the finished (albeit simple) product and the functionality it provides.  this year, i sat down to research a viable boombox design and i stumbled across the boominator thread on diyaudio and subsequently found the thread on this website for the boominator mini.  i fell in love instantly with the design:  the smaller size than the boominator makes it more appealing to me but based on those who built it, it clearly produces the sound i’m looking for.  the problem is that as i read through the 78 pages of this thread, the design seems to have changed – rather dramatically.  from what i can tell (based on a post by markg on 15 march 2013), the first generation boominator mini box dimensions were seemingly 182mm x 182mm X 700mm (ish).  the sketchup for that design seemed to be provided at the link posted by saturnus on 12 january 2013.  unfortunately, that link seems to have been removed/damaged/terminated.  whereas markg’s post has some details, it does not detail the cutout dimensions, baffle and brace dimensions (hole layout, size, number, etc).  it would seem that the dimensions of that box were based on a 6in driver that has since become inaccessible.  the new (v2) design seems to be centered around a 5.25in driver and the box dimensions for v2 seem to be 125mm x 450mm.  i’ve got my heart set on building the early mini (i guess that would be the v1), but i’m a little confused as to how i might do that – ok, a lot confused.  to complicate matters worse, i’m in the usa and don’t have access (from what i can tell) to the same driver set available to our friends on the other side of the pond.  i found a sketchup file named “boominator+mini+aura+ns525”.  it has outside dimensions of 171mm x 171mm x 660mm.  while those dimensions appear to be closer to the 1st generation mini than those found in the file named “boominator mini 2+2” (or the “boominator-mini v2” graphic posted by shortrope on 24 march 2014 at 7:53am) it would seem that the “boominator+mini+aura+ns525” design is clearly for a 5.25” driver.  the v2 dimensions are much smaller still (125mm x 125mm x 450mm) and, while i’m sure this "super mini" design is appealing to many, it really isn’t the size that i’m interested in building.  i really want the first generation mini based on the 6” (or even a 6.5”) driver.  here are my questions (i’m a newbie so i hope you don’t mind being tolerant and patient):

does somebody have the box dimensions, a sketchup dwg, and a parts list (of parts available in the usa) for the first generation mini design (ie 182x182x700 ish), or an early descendent thereof with currently available  (in the usa) 6” (or even 6.5”) drivers?  i want it to have everything needed to perform the complete build.  i could certainly use the 171x171x660 case design and install 6” or 6.5” drivers, but it would seem apparent that the drivers (and tweeters and crossover) must be carefully chosen to “fit” that box design (or more precisely, a box must be re-designed to “fit” a new driver-tweeter-crossover selection).  it’s obvious that the depth of the box must be exactly that of two drivers plus that of the brace sandwiched between their magnets.  i would imagine that if i buy a driver that requires an alteration of the 171mm depth dimension, it will necessitate a change in the width of the chamber as well (based on the drivers needed air volume).  i’ve looked at some 6” and some 6.5” drivers and tried to somewhat match the specs of the early drivers (that was the ns6 i think).  one example would be the mcm part #55-2970.  the truth is: i really don’t have any confidence in my selection since i don’t know if i’m considering all that i need to consider in making such a selection (i’m thinking primarily about the power rating and the frequency response and air volume).  it’s been stated in multiple posts many times that it is a good idea to use (or at the very least closely follow) a successful build for your first build.  i really want to build a gen 1 mini but i’m not sure how to do that with what’s available now (on either this speakerplans thread or on the diyaudio thread).

oh yea, kind of a side note/question (but still related) … if the precision of the sealed air space for the driver is so critical, wouldn’t using a polyfill material in the enclosure change the “apparent air volume” and if so, why try to create such a precise air volume in the first place?

please help!!!

i really want to build a very early generation mini.  saturnus, if you’re reading this, and you could help, i would sincerely appreciate it.  maybe you’ve already given thought to updating your amazing gen 1 mini design (i sincerely hope so) and would be willing to take that on as your next objective :-)   i would also welcome the help of anyone else who has an answer to my dilemma or advice or any other helpful input...

thank you very much.

Edited by mr. d - 17 December 2015 at 4:09am
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 2:26pm
I might be able to help a little.  I have built the original and the 525 mini and I live in the states.  The key is if you can find the woofers.

I have not come across the 525 driver anywhere since they were sold out at Madisound.  I occasionally see the Aura NS6 on ebay, although the price can get pretty out of hand ($25-$50 each).  The tweeter is still sold by Parts Express.  In fact, I just bought 4 more recently for a third mini I want to build.  I already found four NS6 drivers on ebay about a year ago.

I believe the NS6 version to be better than the 525 version although its been a whiles since I heard both together.  I know it is louder.  I am rebuilding the cross-over on the 525 version and it has been sitting for some time.  But I recall using the specified tweeters in the NS6 version makes a difference.

So, troll ebay for the NS6.  If you can find those, you can readily find all the other materials.  Go back to the original cross-over specs at the beginning of the thread.  Some people have posted some very useful pictures.   All the cross over parts are available at Parts Express or Madisound.

I am away from home so that I can't measure, but here are what I believe were my final NS6 version (imperial) measurements:

Front & Back27 1/2"- 8"
Top & Bottom27 1/2"- 8"
Internal Baffles11` 3/4"-7 1/4"
Sides7 1/4"-7 1/4"
Compartment Sides7 1/4"-7 1/4"

This was slightly too wide if I recall, so I had to use very thin wood shims to make sure the driver magnets were tight to the center baffle.

I cut the woofer holes so that they would be centered on the middle baffle and thus have a solid section of wood to glue them to.  I then offset the tweeter to be in the middle of the space left to the right of the woofer.  For both the internal baffle and the tweeter holes, I used a hole saw.  I think 1.5" and 1", but I am not sure.

uzip498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzip498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2015 at 7:54am
Hi i can email u a copy of the boominator mini v1 sketchup file. I might be able to help you out with the ns6 drivers also

Edited by uzip498 - 20 December 2017 at 1:45am
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2015 at 12:35pm
mr. d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2015 at 10:51pm
thanks for the effort aterren, (i hope that comes across as sincere and not sarcastic) but that link is the link that was posted by saturnus in january of 2013 and it is has since been removed/damaged/terminated (as i pointed out in my previous post and is part of the frustration i'm experiencing in proceeding with the initial design).

uzip498 -

i would love to take you up on your offer.  i'll email you at the address you've provided - thank you (in advance) for your much appreciated assistance.

palamino -

i kind of gathered from many of the postings i've read here (or at the very least i've developed an expectation) that the ns6 driver design is louder than the 525 design.  i would also expect the fullness and clarity of sound and the full frequency range of the NS6 (are those two statements redundant?) to be superior to the 525 design (all based on impressions from what i've read - nothing more).  those, and other considerations (some tangible and some intangible), are the reason i have my heart set on the first generation mini. with regard to your advice concerning acquiring ns6's from ebay, i've been monitoring ebay for some time (to no avail) and i've googled NS6  extensively hoping to find an "alternative" driver (again to no avail).  it would sure seem that some manufacturer would have a pretty close performing driver that would be a drop in replacement for the ns6 but i don't know which parameters are most important to match and with what precision such parameters should be matched.  i would think (perhaps naively so) that if someone searches carefully enough, the perfect replacement could be identified (albeit not at the same amazing price as the NS6).  i'm sure i'm oversimplifying things and it is likely much more complicated than all of that.  still, it would be awesome if an updated "original mini" configuration could be introduced here for those of us who love classics and want to get back to the mini's roots (hint, hint, nudge, nudge saturnus :-) ).  finally, thank you for the cutout dimensions you've provided.  to be honest, i'm hoping uzip498's sketchup drawing will have all of those dimensions in drawing form and maybe we can re-post it for future access to those who want it.  if that drawing doesn't work out, you can bet i'll be using yours (at the very least as a starting point).

thank you for your responses guys.  i hope yours - and perhaps others to come - will help me achieve my objective/obsession.  maybe we can even jump start a revival of the original mini design and give readers two designs from which to choose (gen 1 and v2).

Edited by mr. d - 16 December 2015 at 11:41pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2015 at 11:04pm
Sorry, I didn't catch that it was corrupted.   If someone else has not already provided the originals sketchup file, shoot me a note at my forum user name @gmail.com and I'll send it your way.

You are spot on in thinking the 6" design is a good compromise. I am still very happy with mine and my son uses it almost daily.   The full size sounds *much* better but is a bit cumbersome for day to day use and not at all satisfactory when used indoors.

As for Saturnus updating the design, I expect his efforts are directed toward development of a commercial product rather than DIY.   There are no drop in replacement drivers. :(   

nikolajbrinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikolajbrinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2015 at 11:43pm
For the NS525, visit this link on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Aura-NS525-Aurasound-5-inch-Speaker-Drivers-Grilles-Boombox-Boominator-Mini-/252203046343?hash=item3ab87915c7:g:UFgAAOSwfZ1WZYMK
uzip498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uzip498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2015 at 1:26am
heres the working link for boominator mini v1-
 https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=965927e4830845c72ef85ac2733ed8e5
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2015 at 3:12am
Very odd that the my original link didn't work.   In any case you can search for Saturnus and you will see all the models he has published.
mr. d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2015 at 5:29am
thank you uzip498.  your link worked perfectly.

thanks to you also aterren.  not sure why the links from saturnus don't work - i just assumed the original file was removed or something (either inadvertently or perhaps by intent) in the course of changing over to the v2 design.

at any rate, thanks all for your incredibly prompt and helpful responses.
mr. d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 8:24am

so i just stumbled upon, and purchased, a new set of ns6 drivers at a very reasonable price (thanks mj) and they’re en route to their new home (mine) as we speak. i’m very excited about this discovery and acquisition and can’t wait to get started on my build.  as my new drivers are making their way to southern california, i’ve been giving extensive thought to other elements of the design and i’ve just completed reading the more recent pages of this thread.  i’m a bit embarrassed to admit that until two nights ago, i was unaware of saturnus’ recent move to commercialize his brilliant design (we probably all expected it would eventually happen, we just probably kept hoping it would be later than sooner).  saturnus - good luck sir.  i think everyone agrees that you deserve to be rewarded for your hard work, your impressive knowledge and your inspiring commitment to this thread (not to mention the original boominator thread on diyaudio).  i think everyone here joins me in wishing you the very best of luck and i/we hope you’ll continue to remain an integral part of the diy branch of your exciting creation and the following you’ve accrued.

now … i’d like to pose a question which is primarily directed toward the usa audience but i certainly welcome beneficial advice from anyone willing to offer it.

the european crowd seems to have a pretty popular amplifier choice in the maxamp20 (i think that’s the current amp of choice in eu) and the bt module which are both available from accusafe (i think – it’s so hard to keep track of all of this :-).

as an alternative usa option, i’ve given some thought to one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath--T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

or one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2QRM0A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_10&smid=AFHAE9RJVUMB

but both would take up considerable space in the electronic compartment, both would be awkward to arrange in that compartment, and both would only allow for playing from an ipod/phone type device.  even a bluetooth interface could only be made available with the purchase and installation of an additional bt module.

so … instead of a mini amp, my inclination is to use something like this;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV6Y7O2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_21&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or this;

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bluetooth-Gauge-Style-Stereo/dp/B00JJXBBSY/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1450767018&sr=1-1&keywords=jbl+marine+gauge

i know it’s a major deviation from the norm on this site and will certainly disappoint the purist out there, and i certainly realize that the price is in a whole different category than the ta2020 (or lepai lp-2020) or similar mini amp, but these headunit devices would allow me to play radio, play from an ipod, or i could play mp3 songs from a thumbdrive (in random order if i wish).  another benefit is the compact nature of the device – it would require a 3” hole in the face of the electronics compartment (or perhaps 3.5”), it would consume very little interior space of that compartment, and additionally it would provide a user friendly interface. one argument against the unit is its much higher power consumption than a mini amp but that won’t be an issue for my needs and application.  i can recharge an sla battery at the end of every day of use if necessary and i will frequently have access to a power outlet (more on that later).  my biggest concern is weather the power output of this head unit would be too much for (or is at least compatible with) the driver/tweeter choices.  i don’t think it would be an issue but let me know if you see something that i don’t.

for a battery, i’m leaning toward a 12v sla in the interest of simplicity.  the discussions about the lifepo4 battery and other alternatives to the sla are absolutely staggering/dizzying.  my intent is to widen the electronics enclosure by about 2 inches (maybe 3) but maintain the same dimensions in the speaker compartments (ie change the overall length by 2 or 3 inches – all of which is in the electronics compartment).  doing so would separate the left and right channels by 2 or 3 inches.  i can’t imagine that this will have any dramatic effect (if any at all) on the overall performance of the design.  please correct me if i’m wrong.  i realize that the as designed 2.5” width will accommodate a sla (albeit just barely), but adding a little width will make the electronics compartment a little less crowded and allow for other (potential future) options. 

i plan to use the sla battery in conjunction with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01579KBFW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_18&smid=A3RPN0HBLXDN8Z

when i’m out and about, the sla will provide the power (i would think for the better part of a day at least).  when i’m close to a house outlet i can simply plug the unit in.  seems like amazing versatility.

ok … that’s it.  i have other questions and i know i’ll have more as these get answered but let’s take it one step at a time.  please tell me what you think.  respond to any or all questions/proposals/etc.  i would really value input from those who have completed a build and can provide helpful insight.  again, i’m receptive to all advice.

Edit:  i've tried several times to make the links work - not sure why they don't.  please cut and past them.  i really want you to see which devices i'm referring to in my post.  sorry the links don't work right.

Edited by mr. d - 22 December 2015 at 8:51am
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 1:44pm
Congrats on the NS6 score.

In rummaging around in my basement, I found I also have a complete set for a 525 based mini as well.

I like your idea of expanding the compartment.  It's quite crowded.  A little separation could actually help the stereo separation a little. 

I do think you will find (others here with more knowledge can comment) that any amp with more power will not last very long at all.

SLA is the easiest, but also pretty heavy.  I tried SLA, lipo and then finally Lifepo4.  I enjoy my mini enough to have one custom built.  I wish I would have done that in the first place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 102>