Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bearberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 1:11am
Parts Express has NS6 drivers in stock again. Price is of course higher than before.
https://www.parts-express.com/aura-ns6-255-8a-6-paper-cone-neodymium-magnet-woofer--299-030
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 4:21am
Nice find!
dextrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dextrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by bearberry bearberry wrote:

Parts Express has NS6 drivers in stock again. Price is of course higher than before.

Aaaaaaaah, my audio budget was already way overblown in these past two days.  Now you bring this message ... and stupid me pays double the price cause international shipping ...

But damn, I had been waiting for these drivers the past two years or so. Boominator Micro, here I come!

Really gotta sell the good ol' Denon Amp now :/

Edited by dextrr - 16 January 2018 at 9:11pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 3:45am
If you can't swing the size and (slightly more) cost of a full size Boominator the NS6 mini is a great choice.   Ours gets used all the time though the full Boominator sounds a lot better outside.   Indoors the NS6 wins.
protos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote protos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 9:45am
I wonder if for a micro build an 8ohm driver is really ideal. The micro is basically a stereo pair right? So the impedance will be 8ohm and not 4ohm like the mini. A 12v amp will not drive these to high levels. Not more than about 6-7 W or so.  Unless you will never need much loudness or you will only listen to it inside and not for a barbecue/pool party outside. You need a 4ohm speaker for a micro build in my view to maximize the driver amp interface.
dextrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dextrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 11:04am
Not ideal, true.

My plan is to take a higher voltage battery/amp. maybe an 8s LiFePo system, ending uo with 28.8V = 98W into 8 Ohm. At 12V it's still around 18W, so might be enough as well.

In that case I'd probably go with two parallel packs, and end up with the same amount of batteries after all.
protos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote protos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 2:02pm
OK it would work but you would have to spend extra on a charger that is not readily available and cheap. 12 V would not give you 18 W simply because the amps do not swing 12V but around 2/3 rds of that i.e. around 7-8V depending on charge of course. You can check this on the specifications sheet/graphs of the chip of the amp that you are going to use - they all work on the same principle though. With 28.8 V you could get around 45W output theoretically but in practice you will probably exceed the xmax of the driver well below that. A guestimate having simulated similar drivers is that they will not work well with more than 20W assuming the music contains modern bass notes. 
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by protos protos wrote:

I wonder if for a micro build an 8ohm driver is really ideal. The micro is basically a stereo pair right? So the impedance will be 8ohm and not 4ohm like the mini. A 12v amp will not drive these to high levels. Not more than about 6-7 W or so.  Unless you will never need much loudness or you will only listen to it inside and not for a barbecue/pool party outside. You need a 4ohm speaker for a micro build in my view to maximize the driver amp interface.

There may be a misunderstanding here.    Let’s start with the boominator versions—
Mini - Aura NS6
Micro - Monacor SP60

All boominators have drivers wired in parallel so the 8 ohm drivers are nominally a 4 ohm speaker / system.   

Is it possible you made a wiring mistake and that is the reason for your low volume?

Edited by Aterren - 17 January 2018 at 3:03pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

0.56mH inductor should be below 0.4 Ohm series resistance.
5.60uF capacitor should be MKP or MKT type

Here is the crossover.
bearberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by dextrr dextrr wrote:

Now you bring this message ... 

Sorry dextrr ;) And you're welcome!
dextrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dextrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Aterren Aterren wrote:

There may be a misunderstanding here.    Let’s start with the boominator versions—
Mini - Aura NS6
Micro - Monacor SP60

My understanding is:

V1 - Aura NS6
V2 - Monacor SP60
Vx - Something with Dayton drivers?

Mini - 4 Woofers -> 2x8 Ohm parallel per side
Micro - 2 Woofers -> 2x4 Ohm back to back; i.e. half a Mini

Anyway I want to build a Boominator with 2x 8 Ohm Aura NS6 wired for L/R. I realize there is no crossover-design available for this yet.

Cheers
protos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote protos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 6:28pm
No mistake. Micro is only two woofers so 8ohm per channel.
Other options for drivers would be dayton 140 or faital pro 5fe which are more expensive.

Edited by protos - 17 January 2018 at 6:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 102>