Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Hum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computer Hum
    Posted: 22 December 2012 at 3:17am
As the title suggests I've got a laptop that makes a terrible hum when I am playing music threw it into my system. Its not there when I don't have the power cable plugged in so it must be some kind of a ground loop or something? The hum was still there when I plugged the power cord into my power conditioner. Is there anything I can do to kill the noise? Thanks!

Furman M-8Lx Power Conditioner

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=248-784
Make it loud!
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 3:30am
edit- removed suggestion

Edited by b grade - 22 December 2012 at 3:22pm
specialjustin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 4:04am
Get a soundcard?
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 4:05am
I have known plenty of people who still had that problem with an external soundcard.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 4:37am
Much as I would never mains ground lift, anyone who does is a fycking moron, you have a ground loop issue, try and buy a 2 wire psu or use something like berry uca202 via optical, you'll find your hum disappears on battery, poss use an isolating transformer on your mains in, but never ground lift mains anywhere on an audio rig
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 5:16am
Sorry if my advice sounds moronic.  I just know it is a cheap fix and I have seen it work.  I would never have thought of it, because I would never lift a ground on PA gear either.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 5:24am
It is not your advice is moronic, the Op is in the US and you guys have pussy-assed mains, but the point is you have ground for a reason and you guys don't use RCDs outside the bathroom as far as I can see.

The stage is massively high hazzard space, loads of good ground (earth) points and sweaty hands, just using a gound lifter is no a good plan, even 120V will kill if it lands in the wrong place....

I always seem harsh on here, but I have toured the world and seen stuff that would shave your ball sack, you don't wanna do that unless you are ready!!!Smile

I've had probs with my Tecra and a few Dells with ground hum the UCA202 works if you can get a digital in or find a 2 wire PSU (not a "modded" 3wire) but don't assume it's OK, because dead people clutter up the stage!!!!
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 9:09am
That's usual with most crappy laptop PSU's..

And the holy grail of all solutions: a ground-loop isolator (transformer decoupler)!

Really works wonders, and plenty of it around once you know what you are looking for.. For example this one: MS-205A

But you should really consider getting a quality external USB/FW soundcard as those build into laptops are in most cases just outlandisly crappy, and unless you are a big fan of Skytec (et al.), it will make your rig sound alot worse than it could with a decent input..

Edit: Till you get that isolator, taking the battery out of your laptop helps a bit too, as it reduces the load on the PSU (no battery re-charge) which makes it output less garbage.

Edited by TENSiON - 22 December 2012 at 9:14am
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 10:43am
I use these it's a di, on which you can mono sum, attenuate and ground lift the signal. Never remove a protective earth!

b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 4:06pm
Fair enough.  I removed my response, as I certainly would not want anyone to get electrocuted.  I have never seen that happen from an ungrounded computer, but maybe it is because we are generally wearing rubber soled shoes.

Its gotta be the shoes
Audio_AL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio_AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 4:32pm
Thanks for the help guys. This was more of a problem when im in my shop tinkering/building and I have my laptop plugged straight into my dcx. When I gig I use the soundcard on my Traktor Kontrol S4. Thanks again.
Make it loud!
George C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 5:22pm
I found a ferrite core strapped around the mains cable to laptop removed the hum, should get one from Maplin or Tandy - anyway it worked for me!Smile 
happiness is a ticked off list
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>