Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE ROACH Passive DI try out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE ROACH Passive DI try out.
    Posted: 01 January 2013 at 9:47pm
So, with being on leave and having some time to waste I put four of these together recently. REAL basic. Built with Neutrik NTE4 transformers I had left after a recent Soundweb install and cheap switches and what not. They seem to sound good so far and should work nice for those cheap and messy pub and metal gigs. If the transformers survive... We will have to wait and see. I Figure that four of these work out less than a passive DBX unit's dealer cost. Will get labels printed soon.

I will call it "THE ROACH".

Some PIX:

Edited by Hugo Biermann - 04 January 2013 at 10:17am
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 10:24pm
Nice little box,
I'd poss have cut a few mm off the toggle switches to reduce the chances on them snapping off when some one stands on it (which they will!!Smile) but as far as i am concerned for most application that would be fine, I use the IMG Stageline Cheap DI ones alot which are pretty much what you have built.
I would probably put some Nail varnish (or screwlok) on the jack threads as they always seen to come loose on those sockets but nice bit of kit!!!!

Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 10:29pm
Cool, Thanks! I have glued the threads up already. Will have to see about them toggles.

Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 3:14pm
Apart from the cheapness of bought ones I'm surprised more people don't build simple projects like these.

I built some years ago using transformers similar to these. They are still going strong. I'm sure yours will too. Thumbs Up

If the switches do get damaged it might be worth swapping them for slide switches. You need to file a slot but the switch can be made flush.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 10:03pm
Thought about that, yea. Will see in the coming months.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:47am
Decided to make them look like this:

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 11:00am
Very tidy!!!!Smile
eltron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 4:36pm
Great little project, inspiring!

Re. the toggle switches: Nevermind the switches breaking, I'd thought having someone accidentally kick the pad off mid-gig would be a big enough risk. Having recessed switches would be a good development for mk2.
Thumbs Up
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 8:15pm
As a slight sidenote, why do Farnell sell the NTE4 for £12.63 +VAT while CPC do them for £8.43 +VAT? Especially when they're (essentially) the same company!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply