Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EX MoS Rig Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:09am
Thanks for the pictures, it truly is a restoration project of epic proportions!! Would love to see all 6 stacks fully back to their best & I too would love to see the original JBL comps.....you know you want to Tongue.

Just out of
curiosity.....how on earth did you manage to get this system? Do you have links to Martin Audio? As they were running the install did you have to buy from them? or did MOS own/sell them?

Edited by Jimmer - 05 January 2013 at 11:10am
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:18am
Yes,thanks for the photos,and keep them coming.Well done.Clap

As Jimmer says,how come you managed to aquire this? Surely they didnt just give it to you?

There was a similar (albeit only four stacks) on ebay around a year ago,with four of the Levan bass horns,but with JBL bass,mids,and HF,complete with all the amps and processing and cabling,beautifully restored and ready to go (by Opus if i remember) for £15,000,so gives you some idea of the eventual value,although yours,being the M.O.S. system,will have extra value due to the connection and provinence.
Be seeing you.
Irie Lion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irie Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:24am
Work halted in 2010 (As once my wife gave birth and stopped working I had to work 12-14 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week to support us all. I'm an electrician by day job and this left no time for running off to the workshop) I moved to a nicer workshop in 2011 and January 2012 we started work again on the system. Just myself and different friends gave up time for free to come and strip paint in the freezing cold with me. By the summer we started painting the first cabs.

Took all the paint off the cabs, and repaired all the damage

My mate after the first coat of primer has gone on

Ying Yang

Yang Yang

Myself feeling chuffed. These were the first 2 cabs to recieve new paint (after nearly 8 months prepping!)

The Puissance got the same treatment, and then the DD horns. I rebuilt the curves from epoxy resin on the horns, which took ages as the resin had to be sanded by hand with sandpaper and a block. Not sure if I even have got pics of those cabs being done, I'll make sure to get some of the next lot.

Finished painting the last bits 29th December 2012, and this was taken the next day. Myself in there to give it a scale

As there has been such an interest in the project I shall keep telling the story as we go back to the beginning and start all over again on stacks 3&4. It's getting better as I chose the worst condition cabs to start with, so the work should get less heavy as we go through (in theory anyway)
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:34am
wow what a great thread ,would love to know how you got hold of such a system Clap
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:37am
It is that big and that much hassle I wouldn't be surprised if they paid him to take it away.
Irie Lion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irie Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:40am
A few Q&A

Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

What do those Levans weigh,and how exactly do you manage to move them around? I do admire your spirit in tackling a project like this,but even moving them about to sand down/repaint must be a nitemare,with serious risk of personal injury or strain?

The Levans are 279kg each, but I reckon you could add a good few more kg of paint to that when we received them from Mos. we have never tried to lift them, no point. I have built dolly boards (see the pics) and just wheel them to where they need to go. One man can easily wheel a cab about. You have to use a 7.5T lorry with taillift.

Thanks for the pictures, it truly is a restoration project of epic proportions!! Would love to see all 6 stacks fully back to their best & I too would love to see the original JBL comps.....you know you want to Tongue.

I have decided to go the route of going back to the original tops on the system, just gotta find about £4-5K to source 6 horns and comp drivers!  Got about £80 to my name this week!!

Just out of
curiosity.....how on earth did you manage to get this system? Do you have links to Martin Audio? As they were running the install did you have to buy from them? or did MOS own/sell them?

This system was owned by the Ministry and I bought it from them. I won't go into all the details here, but let's just say the old saying "it's who you know not what you know" is most definately true. I had a few good friends on the inside there (all of them have left the club now.)

As Jimmer says,how come you managed to aquire this? Surely they didnt just give it to you?

No, no. I had to pay a big chunk of money for it! I thought then (and still do) that this could be a good business opportunity, as well as brilliant fun (if a little bit insane) I can be a VERY determmined person when I set my mind on something.

There was a similar (albeit only four stacks) on ebay around a year ago,with four of the Levan bass horns,but with JBL bass,mids,and HF,complete with all the amps and processing and cabling,beautifully restored and ready to go (by Opus if i remember) for £15,000,so gives you some idea of the eventual value,although yours,being the M.O.S. system,will have extra value due to the connection and provinence.

I have shelled out a lot more than £15K so far (the wife ain't happy) and I have no intension of selling it after all that hard work. I will start a business with this rig that I hope will feed my family for the rest of my days.

It is that big and that much hassle I wouldn't be surprised if they paid him to take it away.

Oh I so wish that was true!!

AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:46am
If you market yourself right I think there could be a business opportunity there, even if it is just sticking them in long term installs.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Irie Lion Irie Lion wrote:

A few Q&A

Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

What do those Levans weigh,and how exactly do you manage to move them around? I do admire your spirit in tackling a project like this,but even moving them about to sand down/repaint must be a nitemare,with serious risk of personal injury or strain?

The Levans are 279kg each, but I reckon you could add a good few more kg of paint to that when we received them from Mos. we have never tried to lift them, no point. I have built dolly boards (see the pics) and just wheel them to where they need to go. One man can easily wheel a cab about. You have to use a 7.5T lorry with taillift.

I have decided to go the route of going back to the original tops on the system, just gotta find about £4-5K to source 6 horns and comp drivers!  Got about £80 to my name this week!!

Just out of

This system was owned by the Ministry and I bought it from them. I won't go into all the details here, but let's just say the old saying "it's who you know not what you know" is most definately true. I had a few good friends on the inside there (all of them have left the club now.)

No, no. I had to pay a big chunk of money for it! I thought then (and still do) that this could be a good business opportunity, as well as brilliant fun (if a little bit insane) I can be a VERY determmined person when I set my mind on something.

I have shelled out a lot more than £15K so far (the wife ain't happy) and I have no intension of selling it after all that hard work. I will start a business with this rig that I hope will feed my family for the rest of my days.

Oh I so wish that was true!!

''I have decided to go the route of going back to the original tops on the system, just gotta find about £4-5K to source 6 horns and comp drivers!  Got about £80 to my name this week!!''

Na! where did you get that figure?

Someone will snap those Martin horns up. Tony Wilkes may help you out with the Coax BMS comps. Tony ASS could help out with the B&C Coax and I could help out with the horns.

colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Irie Lion Irie Lion wrote:

A few Q&A

I hope you achieve your goal I couldn't think of a nicer way for a PA nut to earn a living hard work yes but well worth it I should think.
I bet there are more than a few people on here that are green with envy this morning.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by AM55 AM55 wrote:

If you market yourself right I think there could be a business opportunity there, even if it is just sticking them in long term installs.

Yes,i was thinking the same AM55....im sure a lesser club would love to have this system installed/rented to them,surely the best option,as the logistics to using it as mobile sound system would be frightening!....it makes even those giant RCA-Showco folded horns from the early 70's look small.
Be seeing you.
Irie Lion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irie Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

''I have decided to go the route of going back to the original tops on the system, just gotta find about £4-5K to source 6 horns and comp drivers!  Got about £80 to my name this week!!''

Na! where did you get that figure?

Someone will snap those Martin horns up. Tony Wilkes may help you out with the Coax BMS comps. Tony ASS could help out with the B&C Coax and I could help out with the horns.

I'm clearly in good company here! I will talk to all the people about sourcing these parts. I am quite excited at the prospect of getting 2 horns for now to finish the stacks that are ready, and I will have to do the others as the stacks are completed.
 It's now too cold to paint in my unheated workshop in the British winter, so I'm on stripping & filling duties till Aprilish ( i'm hoping to strip the lot this winter) then when spring hits and it warms up onto painting.
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:59am
wow, this really is a mamoth rig.... ive never been to mos, were all 6 stack sin there. what kinda power are we talking about here?
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>