Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EX MoS Rig Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Irie Lion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irie Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by nuclearbass nuclearbass wrote:

wow, this really is a mamoth rig.... ive never been to mos, were all 6 stack sin there. what kinda power are we talking about here?

Yes. The people who started Mos and those early people involved were heavily influence by the Paradise Garage. So they also went for the 6 RLA stacks (as did the garage, different stacks there though.) I have pics of one of the Paradise Garage stacks somewhere (MoS had 6 identical stacks, but the Garage's stacks wern't all the same. 80% RLA cabs though)

Now when people start talking about power of systems I sometimes just switch off. I've heard people banding about unbelieveable figures for their rigs, and of course Watts does not equal decibels.
So how do you measure the RMS of a rig??? Do you use the nominal handling rating of the drivers??
do you calculate it from the power of the amps you are using??? do you use peak figures or continuous??
I don't know. The Levans are loaded with 2 x 1000W continous program drivers and are driven by a crest pro 9001 amp, one levan per channel each channel putting 2200W into 4 ohms.

The Puissance also loaded with 2 x 1000W continuous program drivers, driven by a crest p8001 amp putting out 1225W per channel into 4 ohms.

DD Horns loaded with 2 x 600W continuous program drivers, driven by a crest P7001 amp putting out 810W a side into 4 ohms.

tops currently 2x Martin Audio 6.5" high mid horn each rated at 150W cont. driven by a crest p4801
putting out 400W a side into 8 ohms.
and 2 x Martin audio 1" comps rated 60W each cont. driven by a crest p3301 putting out 240W a side into 8 ohms

Obviously peak figures for the drivers much higher. Now you know as much as I do. I'll let you tell me the power of this rig.  I've heard it in the club and I can tell you that it was incredibly loud, but also really clear and defined. The sub bass used to jangle my balls around and was slightly overpowering at times (nice) the kicks used to feel like you were being hit squarely in the chest by a drunk Irishman with a hammer and the mid horns and tops together used to sparkle, and were really clear and deliver crystal clear vocals and high hats.

And before anyone points out that different amps may be better etc. etc. I must say that these were the amps used in the club for nearly 20 years, and I can't afford to replace any of them at the moment. It cost enough to repair and service the amps i got. So these are what I shall be using for now.

Edited by Irie Lion - 08 January 2013 at 9:34pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:47pm
Those old Crest amps are nice,and being the original ones,you should stick with them,and with a system of this weight,who cares if the amp racks are heavy?

By the way,i assume the 6 RLA Levans were actually built in the US and shipped over here originally?
Be seeing you.
mucsavage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mucsavage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:49pm
I will travel on a plane for the sole purpose of hearing this rig. Amazing.

Thanks for doing this, gives a chance to hear the sort of system in the Paradise Garage for us unfortunates who were too young.

Beautiful
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:52pm
they're good amps alright. totally agree on the "how many K is it?" talk..
Irie Lion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irie Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Those old Crest amps are nice,and being the original ones,you should stick with them,and with a system of this weight,who cares if the amp racks are heavy?

By the way,i assume the 6 RLA Levans were actually built in the US and shipped over here originally?

They were certainly prepared in the US, but I'm not 100% sure they were shipped assembled. I think they might have been assembled in the UK. I'll check with Austin when we both get a chance to talk to each other.  Eventually the website shall be built and I want to put a comprehensive history of Richard Long, GSA's role in installing the rig and of course a history of MoS on there. It will all take time, but we will get there.

Edited by Irie Lion - 05 January 2013 at 1:25pm
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:35pm
They were built in the club itself I was told.

At the time 2 of my friends were offered the door contract. This was when the club was still being built. I saw them a few hours after their meeting and they told me I should have gone with them because there were guys building speakers in the club, saw bench, saw dust etc you name it.  
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:38pm
Thanks Mike,that's interesting.
Be seeing you.
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:42pm
I would also like to fly out there (9.5 hrs from Tampa, FL) just to experience it all over, what was that a hammer hitting your chest? I had heard also in NYC the club Palladium in the 90's they used Crown 5000Vz for the Berthas but for the Midtops they used EAW BH500 mounted horizontally above these with a 10" EAW MR101 next to it and a CD horn and of course on the dance floor JBL bullets.Nuke
BASS, how low can you go!
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:42pm
You have to remember that the MOS club was very well thought out as regards to sound proofing. I heard that system when the MOS first opened. It would move your internal organs about.

They basically had a club built into a building that already existed. So if you would go outside of the room they called 'THE BOX' there was basically a tunnel going round the perimeter of the box. 2 very thick walls and a heavy duty sound proof ceiling. You had to have this because the systems volume was immense. If you pout 6 stacks of that outside they will shut you down very quickly. Then you have to ask yourself......why am I bothering. It's fact, don't want to put you n a downer.

Different if you lived in say Australia, middle of nowhere. UK? nope.....yeah eighth of the volume maybe   
King George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:47pm
Without doubt one of the best threads on here in a long time...

Do you have any kind of system to hold the stacks together? I'd hate to see a big blue ratchet strap slung round something like this....

I'd also say at this point, if you do go down the JBL horn route, whilst it may be tempting to sell the Martin Audio tops, I would be tempted to hold on to them for a little while, then you have the option of using the system as it was originally, or as the Martin Audio modified version.
A client who knows a little about the MoS system will know that Martin Audio tried to improve it, and may want to hire it in that state rather than the original.

Impressive work anyway!!!
Irie Lion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irie Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by King George King George wrote:

Without doubt one of the best threads on here in a long time...

Do you have any kind of system to hold the stacks together? I'd hate to see a big blue ratchet strap slung round something like this....

I'd also say at this point, if you do go down the JBL horn route, whilst it may be tempting to sell the Martin Audio tops, I would be tempted to hold on to them for a little while, then you have the option of using the system as it was originally, or as the Martin Audio modified version.
A client who knows a little about the MoS system will know that Martin Audio tried to improve it, and may want to hire it in that state rather than the original.

Impressive work anyway!!!

Apart from the top boxes, the rest of the stacks whilst in the club were just held in place by their own weight. All three cabs are massive heavy. Even the DDs take four of us to lift properly once the drivers are in. I promise you there will never be a ratchet strap lobbed round the stack. If I need to devise a way of securing the stack, I will invent a way of doing so without ruining the look.

I don't think I will sell the Martin tops after replacing them with the horns (I only have 2 Martin tops loaded anyway) as Even after restoring the stacks back to look same as '92 it would be good to also be able to offer the rig in its 1997-2009 incarnation too. As this is a historical project I want to make it as complete as possible.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 2:02pm
Now i really like how this develops. This is what this place is all about.
On the JBL horn subject, Martin tried to improve the sound of the top end, and they did it i am sure, jbl drivers (the old ones) do tend to sound harsh when pushed. But it that horn is now fitted with a BMS4592 and processed i am sure you wont complain at all. On a plus side that horn is really big and can load the driver really low. Not sure how low the JBL horn was cut but 600Hz wont be a problem for the BMS. It also extends up to 25KHz.
Drivers are not cheap, but talk to Tony i am sure he will be happy to help on this. If not let me know ill see what i can do about it, but only if Tony could not. I wont interfere in his business.

Keep up the good work and let us know how we can help.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>