Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EX MoS Rig Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Irie Lion Irie Lion wrote:

Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

BOOM!!!!!! BIG SOUND A GWAAAAAAN!!!!!

Well done mate, looks incredible, wish I could have been there. Did anyone take any video of it and did you guys do any SPL/Frequency measurements? Is that the Trinity Centre in Bristol? be interesting to hear how it did in the space as just before I left the UK to come back to Aus I heard lionpulse full rig in there and 8 scoops sounded nice, wondering how your 2 stacks would compare.

Say Hi to Crab for me and once again BIG UPS on the mammoth project!

Hi Adrian, Thanks for your words. We didn't manage to get a film crew on the night (which was on the cards) so I brought a camcorder and the crew poked it around here and there, so we have some footage. I'll try to upload it somewhere and share it with you all. I didn't do any measurements as you'll realise reading the story there wasn't much point when the system was just limping through and not performing to potential. Yes that was the Trinity Centre in Bristol, a lovely place with a lovely history. Even all running properly just 2 stacks with 4 18" drivers would be no match for 8 scoops mate. The Berthas with the levan horns do make very efficient use of those two drivers, but not so efficient as to come close to 4 drivers in 4 scoops. Now 4 stacks (so 8 sub bass cones) would be a very interesting clash with an 8 scoop rig I think, I wouldn't walk into that one too nervous.

the Bertha's maybe not as loud, but i doubt any scoop system will be able to touch yours for sound quality & clarity - and ultimately thats what matters!!

Id really love to see you punting your rig spec around the festival promoters, and get it out on the road next summer. I could point you towards a fair few if you wanted. Being an ex-MOS rig and having such a class appearance is surely enough to wet any promoters appetite! Next time you come southwest let me know, i HAVE to hear this!!

Keep it up buddy, your work is quality Thumbs Up

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 4:04pm
What a great night (apart from amp and dsp problems) . iv had a few of those crest 8001 amps the thing they suffer from the most and when they stop working is the power relays at the back of the board next to the power caps. change these and i wouldn't be surprised if they will work again for another 20 years. also its a quick fix. id give it a try.

I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Haden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2014 at 8:20pm
Fantastic effort, Irie and all your crew. It all went quiet from you for a while and I feared the worst so this is the best possible update. I get goosebumps just reading about your adventures so I can't imagine how you all felt firing up this historic sound and having a step. Brilliant, brilliant news. Hug
Irie Lion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Irie Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 12:43pm
This weekend will see the rig out for it's first public event. She shall be in the Trinity in Bristol on Saturday night. Liquid drum & bass night featuring; Makoto, Utah Jazz, DJ Dayzee & MC Conrad. Processor now fixed, amps fixed or replaced, few tweaks done and looking forward to it's first public outing under my stewardship. We felt that the two stacks weren't enough to fill the hall with a potential 600 people in there so we have teamed up with Neverlution who will be providing back stacks consisting of hogs and thunder ridge I believe. I will put some pics up in the next few weeks to keep telling this ever unfolding story.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 2:15pm
Do give YOUR system some welly and see how much of the 600 ppl it will cope with before turning on the back stacks. All the best my friend and i really really hope shes turns out to be the dream you have so pian steakingly been working towards :-) :-)

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Lee In Montreal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 2:30pm
I am sure that if you cut the bass a few Hz higher, that would allow to run the stack louder. Or maybe just adding a couple of big scoops to help with the 40-80Hz range? Some famous Bertha/levan stacks were ran with two Waldorf on top (for each Bertha).

Edited by Lee In Montreal - 16 September 2014 at 2:31pm
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 4:06pm
I am very happy with your results and plight for this sound system I am also going to follow this system. I visited Garry Stewart's shop in the 90's and early 2000's in NYC before going abroad to Asia for work and I am happy to say those subs will last a very long time. I would like to build original Bertha's but I do not have pack space yet. Anyone can recommend an 18" woofer for these besides the expensive 2242? Lee can you suggest maybe a Faital 18" neodymium woofer? Good luck Saturday night Irie we'll be waiting for that youtube video? Thumbs Up
BASS, how low can you go!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 4:10pm
How is Faital neo 18 inch cheaper then JBL?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Lee In Montreal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 4:31pm
There are plenty of good used JBL 2242 in the US and Canada. Sound companies unload them at the end of the season for $250 each. And they often have a 100 to get rid of. Some people have experimented with half-Berthas and reported very good results. Maybe it's enough for most of us ;-)

T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 10:12pm
If you have a business you get trade price and a new 2242 is $699. I was looking at Faital 18HP1060 the 2242 some need reconing and you can't be too sure if it is original recone kit from JBL and JBL glue they're using so I'd rather buy NEW and Neo? Thanks Lee and MarjanM

I plan to build half Berthas so more mobile with casters on rear?Wink
BASS, how low can you go!
RJJNYC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJJNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 5:18pm
Ran across this photo of one of the stacks in their original home on the MOS Night in Paradise party Facebook page. Thanks for sharing all this info on your project Irie. Was fortunate to visit MOS a few times at the end of 91 and can testify it sounded incredible. 

https://www.facebook.com/anightinparadiseparty/photos/a.760883703950717.1073741829.760610213978066/784322214940199/?type=1&permPage=1
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2015 at 1:09am
just re-read this thread well worth itThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435>