Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ADVICE & REVIEW ON POWERSOFT K20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
steflion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steflion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADVICE & REVIEW ON POWERSOFT K20
    Posted: 19 January 2013 at 6:44am
Greetings & Love to each & every one ,
Blessed year to each & every speakerplans members , I would like to have advice on this amp and what u think of this K20 , to drive 8 x Tmax 1500 I , 4 per side @ 2 ohms load . Is the amp will have e nough power ? is this amp deliver a real power @ 2ohms load ?

ONE LOVE

Edited by steflion - 19 January 2013 at 6:46am
Music is a medecine
One love & Itection
www.facebook.com/lionrootssound
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 10:33am
I would not hang all the eight speakers to a single amp for multiple reasons, I better like the sound performance of K20 with 4 Ohms loads per channel. More solid and reliable solution to get 2x K10.

Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 11:05am
Yes 2 amps at 4ohms better than 1 @ 2ohms.
And if 1 goes down, you've still got 1 to get through the night
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

I would not hang all the eight speakers to a single amp for multiple reasons, I better like the sound performance of K20 with 4 Ohms loads per channel. More solid and reliable solution to get 2x K10.

Maybe so in the touring world.

But to many, buying 20K amp to run 4x drivers, is akin to buying Porsche 911, and only using it for shopping trips. Simply not cost effective or practical.

To the OP, Turbomax drivers need amplifiers with high current handling capacity, to drive them properly, as most lightweights will limit themselves when seriously pushed.

IMHO, Seriously consider 2x Infinite 8 MK2s running at 4 ohm stereo. They may need certain component upgrades for long term reliability
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 1:53pm
Being a Powersoft user I can tell you they perform fantastic at 2r.
I run K8's driving 4 x RCL lp200n per channel.

A k20 wouldnt break a sweat driving 8 x turbomax i wouldnt have thought!

What type of power supply do you have? As if you dont have a nice 32a pref 63a outlet i wouldnt even bother.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

A k20 wouldnt break a sweat driving 8 x turbomax i wouldnt have thought!

There is driving, and there is driving.

At recent amp test, all the "so called", 3/4K per channel @ 4 ohms amplifiers, would have thermalled well before getting the Tmax 1500s out of bed.

Tmax 1500s, hpf < 40hz, and lightweights often don't seem to work out.
will_i_am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will_i_am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 2:41pm
Id say it would take 8 turbomax in its stride, however it isnt going to sound as heavy without the harmonic distortion from a heavyweight amp..
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 3:06pm
No wonder there is problems with lightweight amp and Turbomax drivers. Re being 4.8 ohms is more like 6 ohm driver. Combine that with the low Qms and you get also lot's of losses in the suspension. So draws huge current and resists movement. 4 drivers a side ends up to Re of 1.2 ohms, under 2 ohm impedance to amp when most of the lightweight amps are rated to min 4 ohms. Surprisingly they thermal out as they are not designed to run that low loads.

Sorry. That was for 1500... The 1800 Turbomax has Re of 4.6 ohms...

Edited by Pasi - 19 January 2013 at 3:07pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 3:30pm
Use strong 32A AC with 6mm2 cables on 230V. K20 has 7-8KW* sustained capability power supply plus circa 1100Ws energy storage. These electrical parameters are ideal for driving twice of large 8 Ohms speakers per side, so even 2000W 8Ohm speakers pushed up to the maximum, still with some small headroom left.
If you have two large drivers per side even musics with low crest factor amplified very nicely, each of the 8 Ohms drivers gets their 2KW for longer periods.
However the situation on 2 Ohms is different. Low density music is OK but once the crest factor decreases the K20 collapses quickly as soon 1100Ws storage discharges pretty fast. It means that the individual 8 Ohms speaker gets 2KW only for very short some milli-seconds and power quickly drops with dense musics like sustained large amplitude low-frequency tones.
Do not forget that a typical 8 Ohms driver shall exhibit 6 Ohms minimum impedance so connecting four of them you go to 1.5 Ohms. It is no problem for the K20 can handle 1 Ohm .-)  but other things come up.
Peak currents could top around 136A which results large losses on speaker cables and destroys damping factor. Just calculate the numbers with 1.5Ohms loading impedance vs. a standard 10m speaker cable plus connectors. Finally this is what you will hear compared to 4Ohms .

*Twice of mine K20 can suck out 64A from the 230V line with nearly 1 Power factor. I have checked it for several 10seconds. So it is 7360W power input per amp. It has a same value either 4 Ohms or 2 Ohms due current limiting feature.

Edited by U.Viktor - 19 January 2013 at 3:38pm
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 3:44pm
i havent used a k20 before but am skeptical about how 1 amplifier could handle 8 tmax1500i playing roots and dub with eq on the low end and preamp and not overheat when only in a 1u case?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

No wonder there is problems with lightweight amp and Turbomax drivers. Re being 4.8 ohms is more like 6 ohm driver. Combine that with the low Qms and you get also lot's of losses in the suspension. So draws huge current and resists movement. 4 drivers a side ends up to Re of 1.2 ohms, under 2 ohm impedance to amp when most of the lightweight amps are rated to min 4 ohms. Surprisingly they thermal out as they are not designed to run that low loads.

The science adds up with reality..

The above is exactly what we have seen, time after time, with the Tmax 1500.

99% of amplifiers being happier driving them 1x per channel.

Edited by levyte357- - 19 January 2013 at 3:55pm
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 4:13pm
I've heard an A / B test between 2 K10 and 2 Inf8 driving tmaxx

The K10 sounded cleaner and punchier, but the Inf8 had more warmth and growl

Inf8 for dub/roots everytime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>