Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best sounding HF driver you have ever met

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2013 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by SBC SBC wrote:

Originally posted by jerronimo jerronimo wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Originally posted by SBC SBC wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

BMS4550 can keep up with 3 12s if needed without a sweat cut at 1.2Khz.

Dead

the bms i have used can never play much lower than about 1.7khz before sounding rough 

Then you are doing something wrong with it. 

+1

4550 is a amazing driver. even a 4544 which is somewhat lower specced can keep up with 2 12N620's with no problem whatsoever crossed at 1200Hz but12.
Just get a BMS 1 inch CD, you won't be disapointed.

LOL meanwhile the de250, DE85, and CP650ti next to it is sounding beautiful 

Beyma & BC Compression drivers. When only the best will do. LOL
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 12:38am
How loud and how low something can go is largely a function of how big of a volume of air you can displace and how much distortion (largely IMD) you think is tolerable.

A JBL 2412 used in the JRX series has a 1" diaphragm, they sound like shite at high volume.

Each doubling of area will allow 6dB more output (for the same diaphragm excursion).

A 1.5" diaphragm is the next step up (2.25x the area or 7dB), then a 1.75" (3x area, 9.5dB), then a 3" (9x area, 19dB), then a 4" (16x area, 24dB).

Odd sizes, 1.25" (EV type, 1.56x, 3.9dB), 2.84" (Altec type, 8x, 18dB).

Going down one octave requires 4x the excursion, or 4x the area (representing 12dB more output capability).

The double 15 design JRX 125 sounds like it needs another 8dB~10dB more HF output (in a live music situation) with its 2Khz crossover, that looks like a 1.75" driver is needed. It also sounds like shite to take the 15s up to 2Khz too, 1.2Khz would be a lot better, what's that going to take? That 2/3rds of an octave is going to need another 8dB or so, so 16dB~18dB above what the stock 1" can do is needed. Now we are up in the 3" diaphragm class.

djk
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 1:16am
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

How loud and how low something can go is largely a function of how big of a volume of air you can displace and how much distortion (largely IMD) you think is tolerable.

A JBL 2412 used in the JRX series has a 1" diaphragm, they sound like shite at high volume.

Each doubling of area will allow 6dB more output (for the same diaphragm excursion).

A 1.5" diaphragm is the next step up (2.25x the area or 7dB), then a 1.75" (3x area, 9.5dB), then a 3" (9x area, 19dB), then a 4" (16x area, 24dB).

Odd sizes, 1.25" (EV type, 1.56x, 3.9dB), 2.84" (Altec type, 8x, 18dB).

Going down one octave requires 4x the excursion, or 4x the area (representing 12dB more output capability).

The double 15 design JRX 125 sounds like it needs another 8dB~10dB more HF output (in a live music situation) with its 2Khz crossover, that looks like a 1.75" driver is needed. It also sounds like shite to take the 15s up to 2Khz too, 1.2Khz would be a lot better, what's that going to take? That 2/3rds of an octave is going to need another 8dB or so, so 16dB~18dB above what the stock 1" can do is needed. Now we are up in the 3" diaphragm class.

We need a "save useful posts" button.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
SBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:29am
this time, science wins LOL
F.T.S.S.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 12:44pm
so what's a typical max excursion of a 1.75" diaphragm?
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 1:19pm
From Acoustical Engineering - Harry F Olson

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 8:45pm
Which simply means that it increases at a rate of 4x each time you go down and octave. Olson has graphs showing this too.

I have two copies of this Olson book (and some others). I think I am going to donate one of them to be scanned for posting, the process requires the book to be cut apart to facilitate the scan. Harry went to school about 20 miles from where I live, although the bulk of literature is at the other state engineering school about 100 miles away (where my father taught).

It should also be pointed out that IMD is largely driven by diaphragm motion, and the increasing amplitude at the lower frequencies for a constant spl. In general, the IMD will be proportional to the square of the bandwidth in octaves.

"so what's a typical max excursion of a 1.75" diaphragm?"

Most hit the phase plug with 0.050" motion, some with less.

Edited by _djk_ - 27 January 2013 at 8:47pm
djk
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:22pm
Would this be the graph you are referring to?

If you take as an example the 4sqin piston, the amplitude at 500Hz is near enough 0.01in. At 250Hz the amplitude is about 0.02in.

If you keep with a fixed amplitude say 0,02in, the 1insq piston manages just below 1KHz and the 2sqin manages just below 500Hz.

You may want to revisit the difference between inversely proportional to, and inversely proportional to the square of; unless you are saying Olson was wrong.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 12:36pm
Hmm, that clearly shows a 6dB/oct slope, not 12dB/oct.

I will do some more checking when I get home from work today.
djk
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

Which simply means that it increases at a rate of 4x each time you go down and octave. Olson has graphs showing this too.

I have two copies of this Olson book (and some others). I think I am going to donate one of them to be scanned for posting, the process requires the book to be cut apart to facilitate the scan. Harry went to school about 20 miles from where I live, although the bulk of literature is at the other state engineering school about 100 miles away (where my father taught).

It should also be pointed out that IMD is largely driven by diaphragm motion, and the increasing amplitude at the lower frequencies for a constant spl. In general, the IMD will be proportional to the square of the bandwidth in octaves.

"so what's a typical max excursion of a 1.75" diaphragm?"

Most hit the phase plug with 0.050" motion, some with less.

that corresponds with the akabak model of a compression driver I have been using (apparently based on physical measurements) which has the gap between diaphragm and phase plug defined as 1mm. 70W input is giving 0.17mm displacement at 1.3kHz. so the volume and therefore the compliance of the front chamber must change significantly with displacement which will give some sort of distortion, won't it?
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 4:07pm
The peak amplitude / frequency graph is actually pretty much linear..

With every doubling of surface area you get a halving of peak amplitude, at a fixed frequency and input power. So describing the peak amplitude per surface area relation as "inversely proportional" seems to be correct - at least as far as the graph goes.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 9:07pm
For a direct radiator in 2Pi the diaphragm (cone) motion increases at 4x per octave (as checked in BassBox v6.0).

It looks like the diaphragm in a horn may only increase at 2x per octave, I'm trying to find a way to double check this as Hornresp uses the data from Olson. I'm trying to remember where my Beranek is.

Assuming 6dB is correct for the horn (as it seems to be in Hornresp), then my figure of 8dB for 2/3rds of and octave lower (from 2K to 1.2K) would be only 4dB. This still means that the 1.75" is a little short on output and that a 3" diaphragm class is probably in order. This corresponds with my experiences with live music, and reducing a few drivers to confetti. You haven't lived until you have put pin-holes through the suspension diamonds of a JBL 2445 from sustained high volume.
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>