Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

b&o

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 11:35am
My sister has my older brothers B&O system in her shed. We're talking mid 80's and it cost as much as a car in those days. He loves his FUNK my brother Alfie.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 11:56am
Yep,i agree with you about the price Mike,when i was working in the Hifi trade in the late 70's,a customer came in to our shop,he had just been sold some pile of beocrap from B&O dealer,i remember him telling me is was £1200 or something nuts like that,a fortune in 1979....he was saying how dissapointed with the sound he was.

For the same money he could have bought a lovely hi-end Pioneer reciever/amp and BIG pair of Tannoys,or some medium JBLs from us.
Be seeing you.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 12:46pm

The B&O ICEpower modules mentioned earlier being used in RCF amps, other pro amps, and reference hi-fi are designed, developed and produced by B&O. Ever since they stopped using Phillips and other OEM manufacturers parts and just sticking them in a fancy design about 8-10 years ago their stuff has actually been quite good.

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/ 

wayward91 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayward91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 12:54pm

im not a great fan , just on the cost alone , the designs are nice though.. funny i was in a b&o shop yesterday , i made it clear i was only looking but they guy in there was very friendly, he showed me a speaker that looked like a big circle , sounded quite good for a large disk on the wall. not real hi fi imho . everything loogs great though and is likley to for a fair time...   a hmv near me has some small cube shaped bipolar looking wide dispersion b&o  speakers in the classical music bit , they sound nice, a notable step up from the jbl control 5’s in the main store, don’t know what the b&o’s are powered by but the jbl’s are on lots of rotel power amps .

Edited by wayward91 - 02 February 2013 at 12:55pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by wayward91 wayward91 wrote:

a hmv near me has some small cube shaped bipolar looking wide dispersion b&o  speakers in the classical music bit , they sound nice, a notable step up from the jbl control 5’s in the main store, don’t know what the b&o’s are powered by but the jbl’s are on lots of rotel power amps .

They're not really bipolar. It's stereo with controlled wide dispersion speakers on each side. A direct copy of the half-Boominator design in a smaller package. B&O designs almost everything themselves. They do not use OEM amps.

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by wayward91 wayward91 wrote:

<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" ="Msonormal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>im not a great fan , just on the cost alone , the designs are nice though.. funny i was in a b&o shop yesterday , i made it clear i was only looking but they guy in there was very friendly, he showed me a speaker that looked like a big circle , sounded quite good for a large disk on the wall. not real hi fi imho . everything loogs great though and is likley to for a fair time...   a hmv near me has some small cube shaped bipolar looking wide dispersion b&o <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>speakers in the classical music bit , they sound nice, a notable step up from the jbl control 5’s in the main store, don’t know what the b&o’s are powered by but the jbl’s are on lots of rotel power amps .</SPAN><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P>

You normally see B&W speakers paired with Rotel as B&W distribute them.
We used to look after a bar and a club owned by a guy where he sorted some kind of deal with B&W - the more usual (602s?) in the bar and in the club (room 2 archway) a load of custom in wall cinema speakers and subs, all off Rotels. Sounded pretty good at first and saved loads of space.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 2:10pm
well over priced and all about the pose value, you could spend a quarter of what B & O cost and get a much better system it all depends whether you wan't to look at it or what on it.

Personally for surround sound the KEF uniQ stuff take a lot's of beating for the price and I'd rather go for a Samsung panel taking into account you can now buy a full HD 60" plasma for 800 quid (my eyesight can't cope with 3D so I don't bother with it)
My whole system with HD DVD player and Yamaha natural sound av amp come to less than 2 grand
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2013 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Yup,i suspect there may well be lots of old beosystems laying in peoples
sheds and lofts.i believe it was mostly Phillips electronics in a posh
case,they allways looked very impressive,very cool,but only had average
audio quality at best. (when you actually got one to work).

More for interior designers than people serious about listening to music.

Yes old B&O tv's were pretty much all philips internals. I think there may have been another manufacturers chassis used in certain models too but I cant remember whos now.
They're not the worst posh TV's though by any means.

The very worst TVs at the B&O end of the market in my opinion are Loewe. I HATE them! Actually no, I dislike them more than that!
100% Earth Moving Bass
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 8:25am
For £7k you could get a 4K projector or TV easily and have change left over.

Can I come and install your mates house? Sounds like a classic of more money than sense.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 8:41am
Good looks, mid-fi sound quality, very high-end price.

PITA to service.
djk
BradRWills View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradRWills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 1:54pm
I was going to say that they are probably a PITA to service. 
A bit like the old Volvo I had - Renault Engine in a space which the Engine wasn't designed for, led to several very loud kicking and swearing incidents when servicing it.  Putting anything in a case that it wasn't designed for, is a PITA to work on generally.....

Please check out my covers band! HERE!

And my live sound blog too! HERE!

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 2:04pm
Wasn't every cd player a philips in a different case?  I thought when cds first came out it was Philips mechanisms and what ever processing?
music is the message
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>