Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

b&o

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 3:57pm
To be fair, an awful lot of high end CD players use Philips transports, they are absolutely the standard as far as I know? The devil is often in details of the external DAC circuitry and software.

You can buy them (here) and DIY your own CD player if you wanted to. Just add microprocessor and program it to talk to the transport, all fairly high level commands. (Get track table, play track x, skip y seconds etc).

Was always one on my maybe projects but common use of PCs and HD audio out has made it a bit 'meh' now next to other potentials.

Edited by odc04r - 27 March 2013 at 3:57pm
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 5:05pm

I worked with a company installing B&O for clients with serious money for a while.

Basically the look is the key thing, it's a status symbol for most people. It's supposed to be like a piece of art to compliment the house they live in. Have to admit the banana phone is pretty cool.

They use their own master link, connectors and parts so you don't have much choice but to go back to B&O for most things.

Always remember fitting a very expensive (and heavy) TV into a house and having to explain to the customer that it wasn't HD as they didn't have a product which was at the time... cue big screen pioneer being put in as well haha.
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 8:07am
There were two 'mecha' systems for CD players Gav. Phillips and Sony were the brains and beef behind the CD format as well as video disc.

Phillips went with the Rafoc arm system. Sony went for a carriage/ saddle on rails.  Phillips had very little moving parts. Sony had alot of moving parts. ( in simple terms)

So the Phillips Rafoc arm system is by far the best. Hence Marantz, Meridien etc. CD players for well over a grand many years ago, many of which sell for alot of money still.

B & O is crap by comparrison for the money. People who thought B & O was cool and hip belong in a Jason King episode. That is about as good as they got.
Billy Dawg.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 4:01pm
In the interest of disclosure I own a custom installation company in the midlands, so we come across B&O a fair bit.

The main issue is the B&O control for whole house, its clunky, difficult to navigate and slow. It may have improved in the past year, but make sure he is happy with this and sees it working.

There are alternatives, maybe slightly cheaper, but which will likely meet the clients needs exactly. We program everything to do exactly what you want, B&O can not do this. We also control lights, DMX universes, blinds and curtains etc etc.

We also use pro hardware BSS Soundwebs, Smart-e switching etc at the back end for reliability, domestic kit is pretty poor as we have discovered.

Dupe...
Dupe...
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 6:22pm
I might be reading that wrong but B&O can control lighting, curtains, etc. with their remotes correctly setup.
I'm not really a fan of their stuff, but like i said i can see why people buy into it just like fashion brands.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

Wasn't every cd player a philips in a different case?  I thought when cds first came out it was Philips mechanisms and what ever processing?

Every TV was a Philips in a different case. My dad used fix them all the time and make a point of it too! Then again he was always and still is a Toshiba man!  
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 4:34pm
I remember when B&O used to be kindly referred to as crap in a nice box. 
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2013 at 11:52am
Toshiba?

Did they even make crt tv's?
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2013 at 12:08pm
Alright Tosh? Gotta Toshiba?
music is the message
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2013 at 12:15pm
Ha haa. Crap in a 'nice' box. Yes some weird thing. A bit like I stated previously, a gadget from a 1971 modern house. Like the Jason King series on TV.  You know the type. Weird furniture etc. B & O fitted right in then aesthetically.

Yes Toshiba did manufacture CRT TV's, along with other odd names by today's brands. Like Mitsubishi, National, Matsushita, Tatung etc.
Billy Dawg.
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2013 at 1:27pm
"Yes Toshiba did manufacture CRT TV's, along with other odd names by today's brands. Like Mitsubishi, National, Matsushita, Tatung etc."

They're all Japanese! Sobell, GEC, Pye, KB, Decca Ecko, are a few British names that come to mind, along with Bush and Murphy, the companies taken over by the Rank Organisation, and later sold to Toshiba.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2013 at 1:41pm
Of course they are Jap. I listed Jap only as as Tosh is Jap, and many people will not know what some Jap companies did.
I have fixed all the Brittish brands above and many more. Decca BTW were taken over by Tatung, not Rank John.  Many Brittish manufactured TV's also had Toshiba CRT's fitted.
Billy Dawg.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>