Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASS System refurb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASS System refurb
    Posted: 04 February 2013 at 4:30pm
Sorry for the phone picture, these MX 800s have just returned from a full refurbishment by their original maker, Mr Tony Rossell at ASS. They all have the correct B&C drivers and will be used to add a bit of present day rumble to the concert system when those cabinets have been refurbished and the horn and lens boxes are completed. Although not exactly small or light, they are a lot easier to move around than the JBL 4520 type cabs that Froggy used and the 18 inch drivers in these should be able to hurt you from quite a distance. More to come as the system is made ready to shake East Anglia.

Edited by oldskool - 04 February 2013 at 5:00pm
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 4:39pm
More pics please.. These look the business!!
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 4:43pm
These are two of the "before" pictures.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 4:44pm
You can just see the lenses laying there.  OOOOOh, super fine.
music is the message
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 4:48pm
I have to say Tony did a super job, they were stripped down, flat sanded, filled, re-sanded, painted three coats of PU, grills sprayed, wadding replaced, rewired and new speakons fitted where necessary. The speaker access panels were reinforced and all new screws and bolts were used. They really do look brand new. Am now thinking of getting our Matrix chums to supply a couple of their big beasties to move the cones around a little. 

Edited by oldskool - 04 February 2013 at 5:02pm
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 5:12pm
Yes you are right Gavin, you can see one of the 2395s ready for sorting out. Also there is one of my Brand new old stock MEGA one inch radials. Have got six of those, all as shiny as if they were just out of the moulds as well as six JBL 2345. That way we can use 12 one inch drivers all ticking over to give us a lovely sparkly top end.

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 5:14pm
You and Ian will have to have a face off/clash ting.
music is the message
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 5:27pm
That would be fun, how many strong men and trucks would it take to move both our rigs?LOLLOLLOL
Seriously though, Ian has many, many more of the bass and mid cabs than me so I think it would be a walkover for him. His rig is all about keeping it vintage and authentic of the period. My experiment is to use bang up to date drivers, actually a mixture of BMS and B&C to see if we can give some of these modern rigs a run for their money.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 1:12am
I've just seen this thread for the first time. All I can say is I hope the pride I took in doing the job equaled your pride in owning the cabs. I'll be doing your Concert cabs soon.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 7:27pm
ClapClapClap to all.

I do get a nice warm feeling from seeing/reading about the restoration of this sort of kit.... Embarrassed

I for one would be very very interested in hearing both the rigs mentioned here in full swing - surely between us all we could collaborate and arrange something together to help the owners shift it to somewhere suitable for a 'play'?

Greg
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 7:56pm
Greg.

Sounds like fun, would be happy to take the rig out to see what you guys think of it in this day and age. Also coming back into this after 25 years in retirement I have a lot to catch up on too. 
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

I've just seen this thread for the first time. All I can say is I hope the pride I took in doing the job equaled your pride in owning the cabs. I'll be doing your Concert cabs soon.

Tony, people might call me sad but I had to go to our storage units anyway yesterday and couldnt resist opening the other unit up just to look at these for a while. They have given the whole unit that "new speaker smell." Anything exceptional comes with that pride of ownership, it can be cars, guitars, or in this case ASS speakers.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>