Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASS System refurb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Three or four 2350s in a case with the drivers? To hell with trying to lift those.

Especially with Four 2440's or Gauss HF4000's on the back....200kgs per cabinet! Ouch.
Be seeing you.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 12:42am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

The JBL horn has a negative throat shape that connects to the rectangular Bell housing Adaptor.  This horn could only be done in two halves and then joined together. The original JBL's are sand cast, so no production problems. The 803 is a graduated curve that terminates at 2" so can be pulled straight off the mould. Would you believe, I threw this mould away a few years ago when I got out of the last Factory. 

It may still be possible to mould the horn in one process I have made such mould before

they do cost a little more but do actually last longer with virtually no process deformation over time giving long term consistency of process.They do require more processes to make such moulds but I use such moulds all the time for my horn production

I do not remember how the horn looks as it is so long ago since i have seen any but a quick look and a pair of dividrers and a "Mic" will tell if it is possible to do

I have a horn that is "Negative" as you put it pulls like dream and it is really tight.

GRP is one of my specialities give me some data and sketches on PDF if you are interested we can go from there  Big smile
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 1:16am
Unfortunately, you would not be able to pull the JBL horn off the mould the conventional way because it is undercut. Try to take a look at what the horn looks like without the adaptor fixed to it. If there had been a way, I would have done it.
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 1:47am
I've also done lots of GRP. Horns, boats, cars, roofs etc.

Might I suggest we grab Ian and make a neg of his horn and then make a mould of Tony... just for old timers sake :)

Edited by Muckerbarnes1 - 05 October 2013 at 1:50am
Billy Dawg.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 2:39am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Unfortunately, you would not be able to pull the JBL horn off the mould the conventional way because it is undercut. Try to take a look at what the horn looks like without the adaptor fixed to it. If there had been a way, I would have done it.

i beg to differ I vaguely remember this horn but google or Grebil is not too helpful with dims so I cannot asses it for sure but 

I CAN PULL A NEGATIVE PROFILE!!! 
You may not be able to do it but I can do some very clever stuff with GRP and Polymers and composites

If I am right and my vague recollections of this device it has a "Pressure Pinch" type of initial wave-guide in the Throat even if that pinch is 3o -25mm  I can mould it.sometimes more it depends on the complete profile

I certainly do not appreciate being told what i can do or achieve based on your skill-set but only my own but hey if you do not wish my assistance You of course do not have to accept or take advantage of my offer "Convolute Moulds" are a speciality of mine

But of course you know my skills far better than I do myself as You know me and my work so well eh?

i am now incensed by this and professionally insulted just because i am relatively new on here does not make any less a Pro-Audio Eng or do not posses the knowledge necessary

As the saying goes

"The trouble with people who think they know everything, They make us people that do look bad"

I believed this was or is a "Forum" a place for debate the exchange of ideas and knowledge between members of that Forum whilst in attendance to it a each is treated with respect and there knowledge and opinions also

oh well guess not
mooreb View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 2:55am
Mate just because someone says it can't be done and you know it can be, theres no sense in being "incensed" or "professionally insulted" by a remark, lifes too short! Smile
FB LS AUDIO SYSTEMS
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 3:20am
really??? so if someone makes a statement or expresses a conceited  opinion of your abilities  without having a clue what they actually are as they actually know little or nothing of you or them

they do not investigate your statements or opinions on the issue in question seek to further understand those statements or opinions and how or why you can justify them but just dismiss them when you know nothing of the one that expressed them

you would not be upset??

it is a Forum a place for discussion so discussion is  the object and function of it that is not what occurred in my opinion which deserves some respect

i do not get such attitudes on other Forums such as DIY Audio or Blueroom
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 8:38am
"i beg to differ I vaguely remember this horn but google or Grebil is not too helpful with dims so I cannot asses it for sure"

Here you go.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-comp/radial-horns/page2.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-comp/radial-horns/page3.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1978-pro/page19.jpg

Of course just molding the horn by itself is no good without the throat adaptor,,Tony managed to do it all-on-one with the need for a separate adapter.

The required one being a 2328.
http://lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1978-pro/page18.jpg

Edited by jbl_man - 05 October 2013 at 8:56am
Be seeing you.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 9:06am
thanks JBL man for this info I will check it out

I still contend that with the advanced techniques I use for moulds i may still be able to negate the need for the adapter but it is so long since I have seen a gerbil Horn or used any since the 80's besides the 2344's I have on some custom monitoring for my now decommissioned Recording Studio  it is difficult to recall the profile but I cannot imagine the profiling would be so drastic so as to preclude it

hopefully it will give me the data i need to see if this at all possible now only from an interest point of view unless there ever proves a good fiscal reason to pursue it and so a need to make such a mouldor if it is I will do it just to be pedantic and prove a point
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 9:18am
hmmm the 2" 50mm to square one!!!  would like to have one in the physical to check but certainly blew the cobwebs out with the last link you give in post

i reckon it is a can do at this stage still unlike many I am an expert in many disciplines relating to Audio electronics and electrocoustics  I made the decision long ago to be "A Jack of no trades, just a master of many"
This does mean i can do it all and i mean all in-house this way I do not need to trust or rely on anyone else I have only the one patent to my name which was fun in some ways but not in others but that is a whole different story to wit I say I learned from it at least

I will investigate this coz as i understood it someone is doing something highly commendable with them for which as an old's cool guy myself they have my support and my blessings
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 9:25am
Here is a photo i found of the 2350 with the 2328 2" adapter mounted on it,if that helps?

Be seeing you.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2013 at 9:52am
Well I can see this is going to be fun. When you finally realise what the shape consists of, you will see that you cannot pull the horn straight off a one piece mould, which is what I was talking about in the first place. If I wanted to do it I would use a separate piece for the top section, which would meet at the crest of the shape which or course is its narrowest point. The top piece would then be split into two sections and have a third piece, probably wedge shaped that would push the two outside pieces into place. This method is the only way the top part of the mould can be formed. When the horn is ready to be pulled off, the centre piece is taken out which would then be through the centre of the throat. This in turn releases the two side pieces which form the shape of the first part of the throat. Once these are out, it then becomes a straight pull off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>