Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASS System refurb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 5:13pm
While I am at it let me say that I paid a very fair price indeed and given the quality of the work it was really a bargain. I would recommend Tony's refurbishment work just as much as his design and manufacturing.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 5:40pm
 I would recommend Tony's refurbishment work just as much as his design and manufacturing. + 1 
had 10 new rx18s over the years .needless to say quality pretty un touchableClap
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Dreadlocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreadlocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 6:06pm
had 8 new rx18s over the years .needless to say quality pretty un touchableClap
Its Not About Having Everything Thing You Want,
Its About Wanting Everything You Have
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 7:04pm
Tony is the best cabinet maker in the UK,the fact that i have some of his 35 years old now,and they still look good speaks volumes in itself.

Even a Rolls Royce doesnt last that long!
Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 12:48pm
OK slight sidetrack and this is the first time I have used Photobucket so it may take a little while to get it all right. More of the Concert System cabs are with Tony and we have another batch on the way to us so no new boxes to look at yet. Anyway went and dug the Matamp analogue crossovers that will be controlling the rig out of the lock up yesterday. Got the top one from Ian (JBL Man), middle one from Ken (knet94) and the bottom one has just been lying around here for about ten years. Noticed for the first time that the bottom one has some fluted knobs. They look fine on the unit but not sure they are original.

Have had hardly any time to really look inside these, wonder what the link connectors are for on the left of the rear panel?

This looks like unbalanced ins and outs which I find quite surprising even though my SuperNova has unbalanced outputs. This could be a minor pain in the backside as a result.

This one has LD after the serial number (does this mean Line Drivers?) Looks like we could have balanced outputs which is a step in the right direction.

So although I would dearly love to keep an analogue signal chain it might not be possible if the amp racks are far away in the case of two of these crossovers. We will be using an ASS processor/filter too to control the subs at the beginning of this thread, that should take care of distance between FOH/Decks and the amp racks. Looks like we need to have a look at BSS/KT or even Lake to get a nice sounding unit. No point compromising at this stage of the game. So does anybody have any further info on these crossovers? Let the debate begin and all comments welcome.  

Edited by oldskool - 12 August 2013 at 4:34pm
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 7:31pm

The latest instalment, six Concert 212 mids and four Concert 215 bass. All unloaded, half without wheels but they are on the way back to essex. This was taken this morning when they were collected from Gothenburg in Sweden. Once Tony has finished the refurb on the concert cabs he already has in his workshop, these will be taking their place and we will be one step closer to the official launch with the full system and all refurbed by the man himself.  
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 8:04pm
Oh Joy.
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 8:24pm
Can't wait to see pictures of the finished rig.  You should see if you could get the rig into one of the rooms at Caister one year, would be great to see and hear it there. 
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 8:46pm
What a great idea Simon - as long as us geeky types could get have a close up look at the gems.....
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Oh Joy.

LOL
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 8:51pm
Its a good idea,but Morris did speak to the organisers on my behalf re.using Froggy's stuff there,no joy im afraid,but maybe you will have better luck.
Be seeing you.
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 8:54pm
Bad ASS!Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>