Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James mellors refurbishing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John fun fair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: James mellors refurbishing
    Posted: 11 February 2013 at 3:01pm

right this is a project im doing for a mate friend of mine refurbishing his james'ie mellors speakers has some of you know these was used on the fairgrounds in the 1980's

I think carlsbro and mellors worked togather on these they also done a range of amps called the showmans amp

now I had a pair of these in the 90's and the amp of witch I still have some where my speakers was birch ply and vinyl covered they had 6x Motorola piezo's  a jbl horn and compression driver and 1x 18" I cant remember what the 18 was tho  but very soild build and heavy to stopped light fingered people nicking them tho haha

the 4x my friend wonts doing 2x look like copys to me but he isn't worried two have

x 6 peizo    (5 blown)

x 1 fane j105r and horn flare    (blown)

x 1 18" goodmans audiom 18-p driver    (dust caps missing)

The other two have

x 6 peizo   (all blown)

x 1 some sort of piezo horn  (blown)

x 1  18" celestion bx18 4085  (dust cap missing )

all 4x drivers seem to work surprizing has the goodmans says 100watts but has 300 watts written on the frame so not to sure

all 4 need new dust caps but are the driver worth putting back in
im going to replace all the piezos and I think a compression driver and horn would be better something like the fane 140

il up load some photos so you can have alook

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 3:03pm
Put a pound in the slot and we'll answer ya
John fun fair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John fun fair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 3:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John fun fair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 3:16pm
[QUOTE=mykey-]Put a pound in the slot and we'll answer ya

mykey how long does the pound last tho Wink
< ="RDVideo" ="application/x-rn-downloaderpepperflashvideoshim-plugin" ="" width="300" height="0" -offsetleft="2" -offsettop="52">
< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 9:26am
I think he's taking us for a ride.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 9:48am
If he really doesn't care about the quality then I guess you could just re-glue the dustcaps and crack on, but if it was me I'd want 4 of the same driver myself. All depends on the budget.

You might find it hard to find the proper motorola piezos again, I think they may have stopped making them? Someone will correct me if I am wrong I'm sure.

It's a shame as I used to have two of the exact motorola powerline+horn combinations that you have there, but I had to get rid of them a few years back as I couldn't find a home for them anywhere!
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 11:39am
I would put them out on the curb and hope somebody steals them (so I wouldn't have to pay the tipping fee at the landfill).
djk
discodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 12:55pm
Look heavy

Edited by discodave - 12 February 2013 at 1:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John fun fair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 1:15pm
His give me the go ahead to put 4x new drivers and new horns nothing to expensive I was Somthing like the fane b/xb or there's some pd 188 in need of recone what would they be like in a reflex cabinet

I was think the fane 140 has the top end
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 1:48pm
FYI, there are 4 fane j105 horns on eBay at the moment, search for Fane 105,  3 work and 1 needs the diaphragm replaced... The diaphragms are still available and cheap.

Edit: -  just re-read the OP and realised the horns should be JBL

Edited by APW - 12 February 2013 at 1:55pm
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 5:23am
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

I would put them out on the curb and hope somebody steals them (so I wouldn't have to pay the tipping fee at the landfill).
LOL
markshowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markshowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 9:50pm
Brilliant speakers when driven by a Mellors Showman S800 amp, I still use two sets, would never get rid of them, still with the original speakers inside, mega heavy, but thats a price you have to pay for Carlsbro quality, not many cabs made today will still be playing in 40 years time !
markshowman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>