Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fane 18XB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fane 18XB
    Posted: 07 December 2006 at 11:34am
hi i am looking for some detailed cabinet plans for fane 18XB speakers, i currently have the speakers in eaw sb850 cabs but they dont perform up to par, i would like the cabs to have dual speakers , be about 40 inches in height 26 inches in width and 30 inches in depth a box of this dimension i can easily transport, i am not really looking for extreme low bass but more of a loud thumping bass which hits you hard close up and sounds really nice far  away. The speakers parameters are on the fane website i would really glad for any help, im killing these poor speakers in those SB850 cabs.
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 11:37am
what sort of cabinet are you after, bandpass, horn loaded or reflex? if its reflex then have you seen the plans on the Fane site?

Edit: i just googled EAW SB850, it looks like atwin 18" reflex box to me. Fanes usually sound very nice in that kind of enclosure, what do you mean when you say the boxes are 'killing' the drivers?

PS, welcome to the forum.

Dan.

Edited by Static Age - 07 December 2006 at 11:43am
swinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 11:53am
i have to over drive the speakers to get the sound i want and yet the bass isn't thumping and loud but rather flat
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 11:54am
The Noise Control twin 18" originally used 18XB's, maybe something along those lines would do it.

The SB850 was designed to be the same size as the KF850 tops rather than to sound good I think.  I've heard them in massive piles and for a twin 18" they just don't do it.  Not sure exactly why.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 11:59am
what about the Gsub?
specialjustin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 12:03pm
Eaw sb850's are a sh*t box, menna be rcf p300's in em i think, but the box is to small so they just sound boring (hehe real tech term there huh) http://www.fane-acoustics.com/public_html/media/pdf_media/Cabinets18inch200L.pdf

Edited by specialjustin - 07 December 2006 at 12:07pm
swinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 12:29pm
so in your professional opinions what do you really think i should use i may also add the sub has to do both pa and dj gigs and as i said it cant be excessively big because i move them around alot, if you guys have anything for me please send some diagrams with measurements in inches,i was also thinking about redesugning this eaw sub because i like the looks of the sub not the sound but i dont know where to start
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 12:49pm
if you like the look of the double reflex box then maybe the gSub is for you

if that is too big then maybe you could split it in two or use the fane design that specialjustin posted above.

if you want to go for horns then maybe the 186 Horn

or this from the Fane book

personally i would prefer the 186 horn out of those two designs.

i use Fane 18XB's in scoop bins & think they sound fantastic but its a large box, maybe too large for what you have in mind

Edited by Static Age - 07 December 2006 at 12:50pm
swinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 1:10pm
i dont really like any of those designs they are too large and they have no real aesthetic value or good looks you see all my customers praise me on how good my system looks and how well it fits into a corner i want to maintain my good name but ialso want good sound. i hope im not being too choosy pesky but i just want to get the right mix this time good sound and good looks.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 1:22pm
You could build some trapezoid single 18" reflex boxes if you like trap boxes.  Singles are easier to move around and makes for a more scaleable system.

Simple cuboid reflex boxes are the easiest to make and get the tuning right.

Horns will give you more sensitivity and probably more punch but will be larger.  Single horn will be about the size of a double reflex etc.

In what way do you want the cabs to look good?

What about Rog's K Bin design?

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7452

swinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 1:33pm
thanks for the all the help i haven't seen any i like but ill continue looking do you guys know of any other sites with other designs?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 1:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>