Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850 Cut list - A gift to you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1850 Cut list - A gift to you
    Posted: 26 February 2013 at 4:36am

Thought this might save anyone else the hassle I went through.

Uses two 2440 x 1220 x 18mm sheets. Necessary panels have the appropriate hang over accounted for to the allow for mitre angles.

Just realized I missed the access panel out but I'm sure you can work that one out for yourselves! Embarrassed 

Edited by Venny - 26 February 2013 at 4:41am
Predominant Culture Sound System - Roots and Culture

ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 5:21am
Thumbs Up
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 6:54am
Interesting.  I like how you did brace 13.  I made mine the same shape as on the plan, but yours helps to support that pannel 10.  The joint between panel 9 and 10 on mine is by far the weakest joint in my build, as it is really hard to screw those two panels together from the dead space.  I suppose I could have done so before installing them, but I did not think of doing that when I was building.
Venny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 4:12pm

Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

Interesting.  I like how you did brace 13.  I made mine the same shape as on the plan, but yours helps to support that pannel 10.  The joint between panel 9 and 10 on mine is by far the weakest joint in my build, as it is really hard to screw those two panels together from the dead space.  I suppose I could have done so before installing them, but I did not think of doing that when I was building.

Thats the exact reason brace 13 is bigger and a stupid shape as apposed to the original plans. Smile Couldn't help but feel panels 9 & 10 wouldn't be solid enough without it.

Got a few to get through so expect some build pics soon Thumbs Up

b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 5:14pm
The thing I did differently from the plans, was to lower the panel at the bottom of the chamber slightly as it seemed to be right where I wanted the bolts to go through to hold on the access panel.  I still attached it to the same corner at the front, but instead of having it go flush with the door, it went straight perpendicular from the back wall which was down about 2.5 cm from the batten edge.  Slightly increases the chamber volume, but made no difference in sim.

Good luck with the building.  :)
Venny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 7:07pm

Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

The thing I did differently from the plans, was to lower the panel at the bottom of the chamber slightly as it seemed to be right where I wanted the bolts to go through to hold on the access panel.  I still attached it to the same corner at the front, but instead of having it go flush with the door, it went straight perpendicular from the back wall which was down about 2.5 cm from the batten edge.  Slightly increases the chamber volume, but made no difference in sim.

Yeah I noticed that when revising the plans, I figured I'd get around the problem by using appropriate pilot holes and cutting bolts down so they're only as long as they need to be. So the bolts will go through the access panel, through the 'batons' that hold the access panel in place, through the t-nut and then into the panel that acts as the bottom of the chamber by only a few milliliters. 

b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 7:41pm
That should work, just be careful not to cross the thread, because those t nuts will be permanent.
ClackS02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClackS02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 2:11pm
you are one beautiful man !

I have been searching HIGH AND LOW for this !!!

<3

thanks dude
Venny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by ClackS02 ClackS02 wrote:

you are one beautiful man !

I have been searching HIGH AND LOW for this !!!

<3

thanks dude

Glad my efforts have helped someone! Thumbs Up

BassPhysics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassPhysics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 12:55am
just what i needed to find dude 
Dubterrorist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubterrorist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2015 at 3:44pm
Can you tell me what tools I'll need to build some of these please mate.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2015 at 6:17pm
For the baffle, you can cut the driver circle with either a jigsaw or a router and jig. Personally I just use a jigsaw unless the circle is going to be visible. You still need the router for the roundover at the edges though, and then you need a straight cut bit and a round over bit. For the panels, you can do a lot of it with a hand held circular saw and a good straight edge, though a festool type is better. The bevel angles require some precision. My Table saw works best for that, but if you have a really good hand held (I don't) it may be fine. You need a drill/driver. You need good strong glue. Much debate about the best glue. Depending what you go with, you may need a caulking gun. Some kind of sander and sand paper of various grit size. Extra coarse will remove excess wood but be careful not to wreck the veneer with it, and fine will smooth the surface before painting. You will need some clamps. Big and small. Lots of clamps, especially if you are making more than one at a time, which everyone does pretty much. Meter stick and or Measuring tape. I also like to have some cargo straps to use where clamps are awkward. Putty knife and woodfiller, or something like it (Glue and sawdust, autobody filler etc. Much debate on this too) to fill the screw holes. Contersink bit to allow the screws to go below grade. Some screws can pull in by themselves, but this can buckle the veneer so I like to use the bit. Whatever painting supplies you need for whatever paint you use (much debate again). Soldering gun and solder supplies. Maybe a staple gun if you use any wadding. Lots of sharp pencils, because they keep disappearing (maybe that is just me). Do it outside if you can. If you must do it inside, you need ventilation but also you want an airtight seal to the rest of the house unless you really love dusting. The driver and access panel will require bolting (much debate, I use the dreaded Tee nuts). Gasket tape for the access panel, and something to cut it. 

Edited by b grade - 19 October 2015 at 7:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>