Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.S.E LTD OLDIE SYSTEM INFO PLEASE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 1:55pm
Paulus, check out the crossover on the bay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rse-amplification-2-3-frequency-divider-Crossover-/130860064890?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item1e77de207a

Pictures edited out as wrong.

Edited by burningbush - 06 March 2013 at 12:36pm
music is the message
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

nice find Thumbs Up its a hard to beat feelin when you plug in some old classic equipment and press play Cool

Press play lukeEmbarrassed you younguns lower the needle LOL 
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 11:02pm
Here you go:

www.spamabyss.net/pictures/RSE3.jpg

RSE  consoles had a distinctive appearance, with large coloured knobs reminiscent of old Trident studio desks. The 15 channel version seems to have been the most popular. The amp racks and speakers were also highly distinctive because they were carpet covered, unusual in those days.

The amplifier racks consisted of three bridged Quad 303 amplifiers with a 2-way active crossover.

Their speakers consisted of 4530 style scoop bins and large JBL acoustic lenses. Two-way systems crossed over at around 800 Hz were quite common in the early 70's - there was no separate midrange for this rig.

I seem to recall Gryphon, Cado Belle, and the Edgar Broughton Band as some of the acts to own (or at least use) these rigs.

(The pictures posted by burningbush are of equipment from a modern, unrelated, company)

Edited by madboffin - 05 March 2013 at 11:07pm
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 12:00am
What a great bit of archive stuff there.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 8:32am
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Two-way systems crossed over at around 800 Hz were quite common in the early 70's - there was no separate midrange for this rig.
My poor old ears could have told you that (martin 115s x-ed over to Vitavox S3s give you hearing damage, man!)!!! As I mentioned on the other post about this system, RSE were also used by Thin Lizzie in their very early pub-rock days.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 8:37am
Thats very intersting,thanks MB.

Conclusive proof that scoops can play up to 800hz then!...but of course,the 70's bass drivers had smaller coils and lightweight paper cones,(in this case Electrovoice 15",so probually would have been the EV15L or EV15B).

As Trevor says above though,screaming the 2" down to 800hz,yes poor ears!
Be seeing you.
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 9:17am
Nice, I'm sure that RSE will be very pleased with their marketing department to find that most people think they no longer make amplifiers!! CP Sound is one distributor: http://www.cpsound.co.uk/products/rse_home.htm
I will second the motion that someone there has failed to understand how acoustic lenses work, the ends must be exposed.
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 12:11pm
thank you guys some great info there,so the bins would have been originally 15",thought  the 18 looked a tight fit ,
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 1:27pm
I also seem to remember that both top & bottom boxes had a silvery/grey (sparkly?) grill cloth covering the cabs.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 1:48pm
yes there a grey carpet
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 6:13pm
I used to have a pair of RSE 15" scoops. I used to have Celestion Powercells in them. They were 16 ohms and I connected in parallel with 2 x 8 ohm 18" scoops. Seemed to really work well together. They were really tatty though and I can't even remember what happened to them.
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 6:26pm
did they look like these ken? tall etc pretty sure these have been cut to house a 18" driver as the 1850 was a bit of a shoe horn to get in because of width of cab,prob blow the bloody sides off when fired up LOL
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>