Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

END of conventional Amps in the EU?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Papp [PKN] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: END of conventional Amps in the EU?
    Posted: 11 March 2013 at 4:33pm

Rumored that the new Energy Efficiency Directive of Electronic Devices in the European Union currently under assembling by some of the leader institutes involved would ban sells/import most of the largely energy inefficient  devices, included conventional linear amplifiers, like class-AB, class-H, most high power products with bad power factor ( conventional low frequency transformer powered devices above a certain power, maybe 400 or 1000W ).

What do you think? Anybody has more informations about this thing?

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 4:51pm
So the price of second hand torroids should go through the roof?

Anything over 400w is a waste, anyhow.LOL
music is the message
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:17pm
Which Amps would suit the new efficiency requirements then?

Cant imagine they are able and willing to kill most Amp manufacturers as a consequence of the new rules..
Peter Papp [PKN] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Papp [PKN] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:28pm

The whole power audio thing is just a very narrow segment of the electronics, compared to the number of LCD TV, hair dryers or microwave owens. Thats why this move is so surprising, if becomes real.

However I would welcome if they say at least 80% true overall input / output efficiency above 1000W where most of PKN devices would fit :-) somehow...

Radeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:35pm
they are crazy , why would someone forbid me to use low efficiency devices (which are probably cheaper by the way) since i am the one who pays for delivered electric energy so i should spend that energy the way i like ! plus ,not everyone has money to buy state of the art D class amps.......

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Radeon Radeon wrote:

they are crazy , why would someone forbid me to use low efficiency devices (which are probably cheaper by the way) since i am the one who pays for delivered electric energy so i should spend that energy the way i like ! plus ,not everyone has money to buy state of the art D class amps.......

Because energy consumption is sky rocketing and the demand is more and more difficult to feed.
Not to mention the environmental impact this creates.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
tomr_29 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomr_29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:42pm

If its true then it does sound a lot like just another blanket EU law created by MEPs with no actual understanding of what such a law will effect. They'll think it just means everyone has to buy a more economical fridge while it actually has knock-on effects such as those Peter has mentioned above. Very similar to the Digital Britain act passed a couple of years ago (the one where barely any MPs actually turned out to vote and even fewer actually understood what it was about).

This may be good news for you guys at PKN (and other amplifier manufacturers using cutting edge technology) but not all of us can afford to be spending £2k+ per amplifier...Cry

Time to start stock-piling Prolines Cool

Proper capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
www.facebook.com/tremoracoustics
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:47pm

I recall in the United States they were trying to make the home consumer move to fluorescent light bulbs in order to eliminate traditional light bulbs. I believe that was 20 years ago. Traditional light bulbs are still offered in the United States today.

I would imagine if such a ban takes place in Europe, there would still be many using old traditional amplifiers. A lot of proposals are usually aimed for the home consumer not, the commercial user.

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:54pm

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

I recall in the United States they were trying to make the home consumer move to fluorescent light bulbs in order to eliminate traditional light bulbs. I believe that was 20 years ago. Traditional light bulbs are still offered in the United States today. 

The difference being that incandescent light bulbs actually are prohibited from being sold, produced in or imported into the EU already. Shops are only allowed to sell what they had in stock before the ban which was September 1st 2011, btw, so stock have probably run out most places now.

Edited by Saturnus - 11 March 2013 at 5:59pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

The difference being that incandescent light bulbs actually are prohibited from being sold, produced in or imported into the EU already. Shops are only allowed to sell what they had in stock before the ban.

Providing the European people allow such a ban to take place. 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 6:01pm

The difference being that incandescent light bulbs actually are prohibited from being sold, produced in or imported into the EU already. Shops are only allowed to sell what they had in stock before the ban.

Best Regards, 

It's already in effect.

The final stage was implemented September 1st 2011 where 40W light bulbs as the last was banned. Prior to that, September 1st 2010 100W light bulbs was banned and March 1st  2011 60W light bulbs was banned.

Note that it wasn't something that happened over night though. The original law was passed and ratified in 2000. Originally intended to be fully implemented in 2006 but was extended to 2011 due to alternative lighting technologies being developed slower than anticipated. 

Edited by Saturnus - 11 March 2013 at 6:08pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 6:07pm

Best Regards, 

It's already in effect.

The final stage was implemented September 1st 2011 where 40W light bulbs as the last was banned. Prior to that, September 1st 2010 100W light bulbs was banned and March 1st  2011 60W light bulbs was banned.

I was refering the the Energy Efficiency Directive of Electronic Devices in the European Union new proposal. It won't be as clear cut as banning home consumer lightbulbs. Especially, in the commercial market where there are lots of devices that consume energy. I would be surprise if everyone in Europe would agree under those conditions. 

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 11 March 2013 at 6:08pm
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>