Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cleaning amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 12:27am
We used to clean pcb's from CRT televisions with soap and water if they'd had drinks or anything spilt in them. After cleaning we blew them dry, and then left the boards in the boiler room for a couple of weeks before reassembling the tv. Always worked fine and never had any problems afterwards.
100% Earth Moving Bass
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 11:28am
I've hosed out a couple of amps that got flooded in storage. They were sat in flood water from the river don in Sheffield for a day.
Lid off, hose out to get rid of all the brown mud.
Left them in airing cupboard for a while, quick pat test and they were fine.
Still in use today.
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 9:01pm
I used to work for a prestigious large UPS (unninterruptible power supply) company where their UPS's range from 420kVA to 1.6MVA in size. Their deep clean of rectifier, static switch and inverter stacks involved taking them down to the local jet wash and hosing them down using soap and water. We'd remove the semiconductors once hosed, leave the heatsinks to dry, reassemble then test. Customer would be faced with several thousands of pounds bill LOL

Edited by Pinyorouk - 15 April 2013 at 9:02pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 11:06pm
the only time I can recommend this sort of caper is if the board's been contaminated with another water based liquid such as beer...and there's a real risk of further corrosion unless its sluiced. But care must be taken; relays and transformers can wick-up water and retain it despite careful stoving, modern surface mount components are often porous. Certainly not a routine thing to do.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Biggus Biggus wrote:

OMG Shocked is he for real? Remind me never to have my amp serviced by him.

very much so as you do not know me or what I do and am capable of perhaps you have no real comment to make

those that do see me do the oddest things but then that's me I am an expert not an amateur beginner
I do this on a regular basis with no issues but then it is perhaps left to us guys who know what we are doing like me
I recently washed my mates Onkyo M504/6 he did not bat an eyelid coz he has already had to buy me dinner on a bet I could diagnose a previous fault visually then taking him to buy parts and fix it in front of him

so why would he be shocked at anything I do most people have total faith in my expertise. And sometimes I wish they wouldn't maybe then the endless queue of broken TV's Hi-Fis and all manner of things they keep bringing as "Mates" would cease

but you keep your Amps as mucky as you like them no Skin off mine
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 2:50am
[/QUOTE]

Although it is a big chore, I clean all my amplifiers twice a year. I don’t see any benefit giving an amplifier a bubble bath. Possibly his amplifier hasn’t been clean in years.

Even so, the risk of having water setting/seeping in unreachable places will cause corrosion. And of course the probability of getting shock if everything is not dried properly is extremely high following his method.

Best Regards,

[/QUOTE]

well as most heatsinks /heat exchangers operate at a fairly high temp in pro audio amps unless you keep a good ratio of power to headroom on a system
they do get covered in stuff that reduces the thermal efficiency they possess  to do what they are meant to cleanining with high pressure soap/ detergents strip away residues to make them function correctly.

i can fully understand some people do not have the technical knowledge to know the do's n don'ts
and suggest they leave it to the suitably qualified
someone mentioned earlier in topic "is he for real" or to that effect and that he would not let him do service on his kit. well speaks for itself he needs someone to service his whereas some of us just do our own repairs and mods. I do have one of those QSC PLX3002 needs a fix at some point horrible nasty things came in a job lot of kit from Juice in the Midlands. not kit I have on stock but it will get the same process before I touch it regardless. Which reminds me I have a Hill DX3000 just washed last week I needed Gloves just to strip for that clean it was so filthy it caused the failure in the first place

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12