Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Circular saw guide build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Circular saw guide build
    Posted: 16 March 2013 at 8:21pm
I've had enough of the chaps at the wood yard moaning at me for wanting loads of cuts on 8x4 sheets.
So I've built a guide for my circular saw.

Took about 3hours in total to make and figure out how to aline as I cant see any markings I put on the sheet. 
I solved this by putting a off cut in flush with the right hand side and make the cut, this gives my offset. now just mark the sheet up on the left and right sides (as normal) aline the offset to the markings and draw a line down the other side, aline the offset line to the right of the guide and cut. Nice straight cuts and nice a square.

Going to make a dedicated table with fence that operated with a handle on threaded rod, might even recess a steal measure correctly offset to remove the need for marking you sheets up.
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 8:27pm
Now THAT is cool, would you talk us through the build?, e.g. how do you attach the guide to the raw sheet?, e.g. how do you ensure absolute 90 degree cuts across an 8x4 sheet?

Greg
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:58pm
@ Greg

I got the wood yard to a 8ft length @ 250mm and 20mm these made the base and the edges.

I took the factory edges as my straight edge and 90 degrees.

I glued and screwed a 20mm strip to the 250mm which is the base.

To get the sheet I'm going to cut square I have screwed a strip about 100mm x 600 on the back of the base. 
Every time I attached a piece that has to be square I clamped my set square in place and the clamped the piece in place double checking twice every time, this gives you your square cut. 
I say square in all honestly it might be a little either way but i've used it today to do a 18" sub (quote a few 4ft cuts on both sides of the panels) and have found it no less accurate then the cuts done at the wood yard on their god knows how many ££££££ panel saw, so im happy

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow, in all my excitement I forgot to cut my braces.

rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 11:27pm
if you make something like this http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/cut-straight-3-0908.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497&h=472&w=470&sz=77&tbnid=5HrQXSIMLsU57M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=__mDFAPat2Ib12ay6E72FoW2GpPL4=&docid=m_X1pejnRknB_M&sa=X&ei=ef9EUdjYAoTcPbj3gMgI&ved=0CFYQ9QEwAg&dur=2708 the first run of the saw cuts the guide off to the point of cut and removes the need to adjust for any offset... 
music is god
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 11:38pm
@ rich

I made one of them too but wasn't happy with it, i found that on long rips (when you can't be on the right side) its hard to keep the saw pushed to the guide.

This way the saw has no movement in the guide and can't wonder off, you just got to push it Smile
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 2:36am
Neat, but gotta say, a Festool is easier to use and I bet produces more accurate cuts
mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 11:21am
Not as big but I suppose you could double them up. Something studio45 showed me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0010AVKAS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Also found this which could be quite handy for doing them tricky tapers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221190661849?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 12:23pm
@shagnasty i would hope a festool is easyer and more accurate for the cost of them.

@mans the jigs on the ebay link look really handy for trap cabs
mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

@shagnasty i would hope a festool is easyer and more accurate for the cost of them.

@mans the jigs on the ebay link look really handy for trap cabs

Exactly what I was thinking, but a bit longer would have been better but I'm sure this could be overcome. Gonna build some trap cabs soon so might invest in one and see how it does.
"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

@ Greg

I got the wood yard to a 8ft length @ 250mm and 20mm these made the base and the edges.

I took the factory edges as my straight edge and 90 degrees.

I glued and screwed a 20mm strip to the 250mm which is the base.

To get the sheet I'm going to cut square I have screwed a strip about 100mm x 600 on the back of the base. 
Every time I attached a piece that has to be square I clamped my set square in place and the clamped the piece in place double checking twice every time, this gives you your square cut. 
I say square in all honestly it might be a little either way but i've used it today to do a 18" sub (quote a few 4ft cuts on both sides of the panels) and have found it no less accurate then the cuts done at the wood yard on their god knows how many ££££££ panel saw, so im happy

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow, in all my excitement I forgot to cut my braces.

Thanks DIY, that's given me plenty of ideas for something similar - been mulling over a similar saw guide for a while but never really got my arse in gear, your photo's and description have just inspired me to get it built.  Cheers!

Greg
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
 Post Reply Post Reply