Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

full list of portable sounds across UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANofCUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: full list of portable sounds across UK
    Posted: 19 March 2013 at 11:20am
I'd love to have a full list of all 12 volt fully portable sound systems across the UK that get out there and play to the people for free, to bring them positive vibes (I'm a reggae selecta on mine) 

I'd love to Organise a big link up , I think it would be truly awesome to have as many crews from each area link up , imagine that possibly 100 to ? x amount rigs all linked up playing the same tunes at once , who else would love to see this ?

12volt boombox culture is something I LOVE !

I'll start the list

1- Come Unity Sound
  -music style - reggae and hip hop
  - location based - Oxford/Reading/Bath/Bristol/Plymouth 

feel free to add yourselves > actually please do <

I don't want this thread to have been created in vain.

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 11:23am
Inphase  - East London. Psychedelic trance, roots reggae&dub, sometimes hardtek. depending on time and place :)
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 12:13pm
GG Hi-Fi

London E2 near Victoria Park

Strickly Jamaican styles - late60s/70s early reggae/roots/bit of ska/rocksteady  - some melodic modern roots-ish stuff - some 80 dancehall-ish ...

3 levels of system ....

1) mid-sized boombox - easily bunjied to back of bicycle - can travel  a few miles with this no probs (inc. playing while travelling :-) )

2) 2 boxes ..... needs more/bigger batteries and ...well stuff. Just about possible to move it by bicycle for short distances - but its a bit wobbly.

3) 2 x 12+1 PA "full-range" + car amplifier + SLA batteries- about 200W. Nice. Can only really move this coupla hundred yards into Vicky Park ..... but could travel with it given motorised transport. Needs at least 2 ppl to manage .... 3 is better.

We often play with baby laptop+VDJ little DJ mixer + mic .... for mates/guest MC types to have a go pon di mic - at our discretion :-) .... VDJ can do bit of FX like rewinds, siren, noises, bass cut etc.

Oh yeah - GG = Geek + Greek :-)
Check youtube for GandGHiFi ... not the best videos .... but you'll get the idea :-)

If weather = half decent at weekend "summer" time ... good chance we'll be playing in Vicky Park :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
DANofCUS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANofCUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 12:38pm

thanks for your contributions

I'm going to be more specific now

the whole rig and all devices to play music off must be carryable by 1 person atleast 2 miles across rugged terain to an extent.

that way if we do a link up in the middle of a forest , it is possible to get the sound there without use of trolleys etc , it's ok to get a big strong friend to carry the whole set up if the owner is injured , disabled or not strong enough to carry there own set up and you and you crew can take turns carrying , I'll allow that ;)

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 2:07pm
MIS-READ OP

Edited by mini-mad - 19 March 2013 at 2:08pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 2:19pm
dan you asking too much :-) my system  on a small set-up fits on a bicycle trailer, but i dont fancy to carry it alone 2 miles in the forest. especially 25 kilo battery for power :)

big setup is 4x big box, 4xmedium box, 2xsmall box, case with cables and bits, abs rack for amps and 3x 25 kilo battery. not that portable but doable with two mates and a trolley :)

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 3:18pm
I also disagree with this qualification :D a comprehensive list is much more interesting.
DANofCUS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANofCUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 4:10pm
fair enough guys . maybe we can decide some portable sound catergories ?
weight classes.
coz anythings portable if it's under 100kg and isn't concreted into the floor.

I personally build sounds to be as portable as possible , I don't drive or have a bike and don't want to be dependant on others to help me get my sound about and like to be able to put on a party allmost anywhere. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 4:16pm
I think portable in this forum's context means: doesn't require a generator or mains power supply in order to function.

I think you're maybe overestimating the scope of the UK portable sound "scene" though, especially that part of it that use this forum, you could probably count those sounds on your fingers and toes!
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

I think you're maybe overestimating the scope of the UK portable sound "scene" though, especially that part of it that use this forum, you could probably count those sounds on your fingers and toes!

I think you might be right there. The number of Scandinavian Boominators alone would probably outnumber all UK portable systems. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 4:44pm
Woodworking/DIY is a comparatively greater part of the culture over there right? Sweeping generalisation, I know, but it's the impression I get from reading a lot of forums (national/international) on these subjects.
DANofCUS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANofCUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 5:31pm
yeah I reckon you're right  , I'm sure there's plenty who don't use this forum and I'm positively encouraging more to roll like I do , from my time repping in Bristol a lot of people have got on the 12volt rig things , there is ussually a yearly 12 volt teknival down the cumberland basin area which is seen from the suspension bridge 12 volt teknival  is everyone brings there battery powered sounds  , we even have a dude called 12volt joe who has so much 12volt sound it's pretty ridiculous  but that's bristol for ya   we love to freee party on a reggae vibe.

there's my friend mook and his mookboxes that he makes and sells like the boomcases , he's based in Basingstoke , hampshire .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>