Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing ribbon cable on Behringer DEQ2496

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing ribbon cable on Behringer DEQ2496
    Posted: 27 March 2013 at 8:45pm
(I do hope this is the right forum). Faced with the usual ribbon cable problems on the Behringer DEQ2496, I managed to scrape off the huge piles of hot glue and remove it. I have a replacement computer cable ready to fit in its place.

The problem is, I cannot see any way of connecting the cable to the rear socket. When I push down on the cable, the pins on the board won't penetrate to make contact. Anyone who's done this before will know what I'm talking about, although I could post a photo if it would help.

Now I'm really stuck and the Behringer support line keeps me hanging on forever with a recorded message. I don't really trust myself to solder - the pins are too close together. I've googled all over the place and nobody mentions this problem. Can anyone help?

Edited by stevie - 27 March 2013 at 8:47pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 11:58pm
if it's like the DCX ribbon cable, it has an IDC header at one end (cpu board) and a transition connector (i/o board) at the other. If thats the same in a DEQ, you'll have to replace the entire transition connector..they aren't meant to be re-used.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 27 March 2013 at 11:59pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 9:43am
Thanks. Yes, it seems that an IDC header and a transition connector are exactly what I have here.

Would I have to unsolder the transition connector from underneath? Do I need to get the parts from Behringer or can I just use standard computer bits? Do I need a special tool to fit the cable to the new transition header, or could I replace it with an IDC header?

Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 10:02am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

you'll have to replace the entire transition connector..they aren't meant to be re-used.

But with care they CAN be reused (have done it heaps of times with Behringer gear), and is preferable to the real possibility of damaging the fragile Behringer circuit board.....
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 10:45am
Could anyone supply some (idiot-proof) instructions on how to 1. replace the transition connector or 2. re-use the transition connector, and connect a new ribbon cable?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:21pm
Just solder it. It is how i get rid of the frying egg sound out of the dcx 7 years ago. Doing great since then.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:25pm
Did you solder to the pins on the transition header, or underneath the board, Marjan? Now were did I put that magnifying glass......?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:39pm
To the pins.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 1:11pm
Thanks. I'll give it a go.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 3:48pm
The correct way is to unsolder the transition connector from the back pcb. Buy a new quality branded one, eg Fujitsu, 3M, Amp, crimp it on new ribbon, solder it back in. If you want to solder the cable to the idc forks of the old connector, that's great but sounds like a fiddle to me! If you arent confident to unsolder the old one, maybe this is a safer DIY solution.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 29 March 2013 at 3:48pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

AudioLab00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AudioLab00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 6:54pm
Hello. I know is an old thread but just today I had the same issue.
Could someone give me some links to buy parts?
I need a 26 pin ide cable and have to peal one side?
Where I could buy 26 pin transition connector?
I found some of them on eBay and aliexpress but I’m not sure if they are  the connector needed.
Thanks in advance 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 7:13pm
Quote I found some of them on eBay and aliexpress

You need to buy a good quality one.
The engineering that goes into a reliable IDC connector is quite advanced and needs tight tolerances and years of experience making them out of the correct materials and to the right specification. These fail because they're cheap.

A branded genuine one is the way to go from a reputable japanese or western company.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>