Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 8 is dead - Long live Windows Blue..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 8 is dead - Long live Windows Blue..
    Posted: 08 May 2013 at 4:09pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22446754

Microsoft has announced it will offer a preview version of its first major update to Windows 8 next month.

The news comes amid growing criticism of the software's user interface.

Microsoft said the revision to the operating system (OS), codenamed Windows Blue, would be released at Build, a three-day developers event in San Francisco starting on 26 June.

However, while the company said it had listened to "feedback", it has still not disclosed what changes are planned.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/330c8b8e-b66b-11e2-93ba-00144feabdc0.html

“Key aspects” of how the software is used will be changed when Microsoft releases an updated version of the operating system this year, Tami Reller, head of marketing and finance for the Windows business, said in an interview with the Financial Times. Referring to difficulties many users have had with mastering the software, she added: “The learning curve is definitely real.”

Analysts warned that changing course would be a significant admission of failure for Steve Ballmer, chief executive, who called the October launch of Windows 8 a “bet-the-company” moment as Microsoft sought to respond to the success of Apple’s iPad.

LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 08 May 2013 at 4:17pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 5:20pm
have seen some articles in The Register on this.

However the "Windows Blue" name does somewhat have connections with the well known 'Blue Screen of Death' that we all know and hate......

No doubt we'll see

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:06pm
I'm just getting familiar with Windows '7 innards after 2x years, why exactly should I upgrade to 'Blue, if I'm not a "touch" freak !?
tall_mike View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tall_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:17pm
Don't bother upgrading! Just stay using Windows 7, and upgrade as soon as you find it fiddly when you're using touchscreens more and more. If you don't use them, don't bother upgrading.

If it takes you two years to understand Windows 7's workings... what can I say!!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by tall_mike tall_mike wrote:

If it takes you two years to understand Windows 7's workings... what can I say!!

Ahem - you understand all of Windows 7' workings ? Every subsystem ? Every registry entry/value ?
Every file ? Every option/switch/command of every dialogue ? I don't think so .... I don't believe there's a single human alive that can do that.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:39pm
It's called 8.1 officially, so it's no different to any other service pack they've done before.
tall_mike View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tall_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Ahem - you understand all of Windows 7' workings ? Every subsystem ? Every registry entry/value ?
Every file ? Every option/switch/command of every dialogue ? I don't think so .... I don't believe there's a single human alive that can do that.

Ask me a question, I'll give you the answer :P
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 11:15pm
i`m sitting on a xp machine. it plays music, movies, i can browse the web. runs win isd and sketchup pro.
having more ram than 32bit limit would be nice but can live with that.
had some benchmark running some time ago, it gave my computer score less than iphone 4... heh it still works and no need for change... maybe rack chassis one day :-)

i like to eat my breakfast and read news from computer. greasy fingers and stuff. no touchscreen for me please.
kingkwak View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingkwak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 8:08pm
Im still on an old XP dell latitude d505, will be upgrading sometime soon.
This thing has been dropped and bashed around alot, so whatever i get will need to be strong (tend to do most of my useage on the arm of the sofa).
To much power? NEVER.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 9:44pm

LOL

Wonder if TM has mastered DISKPART yet, and commands needed for SSDs?

Or how to manually restore Windows '7 MBR, after GRUB stomps on it?, and other required files on reserved partition to enable it to boot.

Or even How to create '7 boot/installation usb key?

Without using "Google" of course.

I could mention custom BIOS's I've assembled for DELL D630/780 specifically for installing '7, but my work here is done, I think. Embarrassed

Edited by levyte357- - 18 May 2013 at 9:49pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

LOL

Or how to manually restore Windows '7 MBR, after GRUB stomps on it?, and other required files on reserved partition to enable it to boot.

I could mention custom BIOS's I've assembled for DELL D630/780 specifically for installing '7, but my work here is done, I think. Embarrassed
i'd like this info as iv been fighting it for months to no aval....

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

LOL

i'd like this info as iv been fighting it for months to no aval....

Start a Windows '7 FAQ thread mate, and I'll gladly stick stuff or links there. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>