FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just for James...the Q4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just for James...the Q4
    Posted: 26 December 2006 at 7:25pm

It's doing what now? The magnet in the back chamber or into the horn throat direction?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 7:03pm
Keep asking the right questions guys, we'll have enough to design our own very soon!  Mwa ha ha ha!

From what I'm reading, it's nothing particulaly novel but the hard part is to get a good design it into a nice useable box which you can lift,pack in a truck and will survive local crews and idiot engineers!

I like the idea anyway, especially as it confirms I've got some things right on my own designs!  Keep posting the test results Phil!

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by JD01 JD01 wrote:

That is a good thing. Did you compenaste for the discontinuity in flare rate at the horn throat caused by the magnet?

So if you want go down to 35Hz I guess it is a pretty high XMax driver with relatively heavy cone, right? Does it sound really good at 200Hz? I mean, measured frequency response doesn't tell to much about sound quality....

Haven`t had a chance to use `em properly yet! So no I don`t know what they sound like at 200hz. The quick test we did showed they sounded good up to 125hz ( just what we happened to use as the hp setting). Hopefully over the next month we`ll get a good chance to measure the boxes properly!
As Mrfuzz said the chamber is seperate from the horn flare and yes the extra basket space was accounted for.

.p.

edit I said horn mouth in my last post ...I meant the drivers are reversed into the chamber NOT the horn mouth!
Too much xmas dinner confusing my brain still!

Edited by Phil Boutle - 26 December 2006 at 4:54pm
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 2:52pm
Only because the driver is mounted backwards doesn't mean that the horn is coupled to a resonator (port).
mrfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 2:49pm
ah ha! the power density, breakfast in bass form, am I right in guessing that its a bit like a banpass cab with the horn on the port?

ta, will
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 2:46pm
That is a good thing. Did you compenaste for the discontinuity in flare rate at the horn throat caused by the magnet?

So if you want go down to 35Hz I guess it is a pretty high XMax driver with relatively heavy cone, right? Does it sound really good at 200Hz? I mean, measured frequency response doesn't tell to much about sound quality....

Edited by JD01 - 26 December 2006 at 2:50pm
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 2:34pm
It`s a normal ferrite driver, and the drivers are reversed so all the baskets are in the horn mouth. The way they`re placed means that they have large side vents which allow the heat to be passed out of their sides rather than out of the pole piece vent.

.p.

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 2:25pm
Is it a conventional or a ND driver (the 12" I mean)? I ask because the NDs are sensitive to heat, so putting their magnets in a small sealed back chamber could be bad. It does not need to be a breakdown at once, but they could loose magnetic flux over time...
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by james folkes james folkes wrote:

you lot have become shameless 18sound whores, you know that?

i hope this means you'll be able to cut some amazing deals as distributors to pass on to us humble end users then...
james.

The reason is simple.....they work really well and are really reliable...

As for deals you`ll have to butter Steve up at NCA ...I`m only a user like you!

.p.

james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 9:31am
you lot have become shameless 18sound whores, you know that?

i hope this means you'll be able to cut some amazing deals as distributors to pass on to us humble end users then... around about this time next year (we hope) we ought to be in a position to upgrade all the 15"s and 10"s in the rig for 18sound neos; smps touring class amps first, but that'll be the next big overhaul.

james.
mardy hippy.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 10:24am
Originally posted by james folkes james folkes wrote:

that'll be the fane 18xb...

james.

The new vsb uses these..

link

can`t really say about the 12" driver ...soz

.p.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 6:05am
I meant to ask what 18Sound driver. Sorry for my mistake.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>