Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just for James...the Q4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just for James...the Q4
    Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:13am
Well I promised James that I`d let him know about the new NCA 4 x 12 sub...Well the first prototypes are here and just been fired up in anger! The box is long , thin but very narrow ( not much wider than a 12") and designed to be floor stacked in 3`s or more.

The basic layout is the four reversed drivers in a chamber,firing through a slot into a short "w" horn.It`s wired up as a 2ohm box at the mo` that`s to allow the Xta amp that`s gonna power them to use 2x 4 ohm channels. So it`s ideal to stick an FFA on ! 2 ohms into 4 x 600w 12"s!
One on it`s own doesn`t go much below 45hz +/- 3db as it works much like a bandpass ( sounded nice and punchy but the room here is so small can`t tell how far that goes!)but over 3 a side is when the fun starts. The difference as we wound up from 2 to 3 a side was quite noticable but what it does with 4 a side is rude!

I`ll get the spec and charts off of Reay some time soon but let`s just say the plot for four in a corner is bloody frightening!

.p.

edit...been trying to just add links to the fotos to save room but it just don`t wanna make links ..goes back to original page!! Can`t be bothered right now...still recovering from sub-bass overload!

Edited by Phil Boutle - 21 December 2006 at 11:22am
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:18am
Trying to work out how the drivers are actually arranged inside the cab.  Certainly a novel design.  Will definitely need to visit and have a listen at some point!
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:23am
yaaaaayyy!!!!!

i've got a huge smile on my face now, thankyou very much phil... damnit, when am i next getting down your way... you're making me wonder just what wicked ones will do when stacked. rich continually reminds me that it would be uber nails.

did you end going oem for the driver? i know raey was looking at lots but struggling to find something that satisfied, oh, and they are neo yes? what does the q4 weigh in at?

james.
mardy hippy.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:26am
Nah they are off the shelf 18sound drivers ....not gonna say much more. He was investigating a Beyma which he reckons should squeeze a few more db lower down ( like it needs it FFS!). I just sooooo wanna take `em to a bigger room ( looks like we might have to drag some kit out sat night!)

.p.

james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:34am
will they play high enough to meet the rgw112? and if the answer is yes, have you got dibs on the prototypes yet?! dekked goes totally green, and i'm not talking about envy!

james.
mardy hippy.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:40am
i like em.
Would sit well under some HDs on their side :)
you taking orders?? <laughs>
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 12:07pm
How long do you reckon the horn path is? 1.5m? Longer?
Gramps View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 12:51pm
Hhhhmmmm... Looks very interesting... Guessing it must be a variation on the "horn assisted bandpass" kinda theme inside, with the drivers sat in pairs in two little side enclosures, facing each other in one central chamber which is vented into the throat of the horn, the path of which is split into two and swings round to the front of the cab...???? Just a hunch....

Bet it sounds helluva punchy as well as going nice and low like you say when you've got some coupling going on.

As long as Giles doesn't get hold of some before the Clash in Feb I don't mind!
DJ Coupé View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Coupé Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 1:40pm
Nice . wonder how one of my jbl 2206 drivers would perform in one of those cabs. There 600w and 45hz lowest. dunno how the TS parameters compare to what you are using though?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Gramps Gramps wrote:

Hhhhmmmm... Looks very interesting... Guessing it must be a variation on the "horn assisted bandpass" kinda theme inside, with the drivers sat in pairs in two little side enclosures, facing each other in one central chamber which is vented into the throat of the horn, the path of which is split into two and swings round to the front of the cab...???? Just a hunch....Bet it sounds helluva punchy as well as going nice and low like you say when you've got some coupling going on. As long as Giles doesn't get hold of some before the Clash in Feb I don't mind!

Pretty much spot on....

I think the concept is great as two boxes per side will work great under a small full range ( Assym) and the full 4 box a side set-up is so much more long-throw than a standard 2x18 box? And has the abilty to small truck pack AND are light! Have`nt weighe one yet but they are def` around the 2 x15" mark.

I will let you all know how it works out, but on my semi-trained sub ear they sounded bloody awesome! Loads of fast attck bass but going really LOW! I still have the image of all the tools on the workshop bench jumping up and down ( nothings made that happen ever before!)

.p.

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by james folkes james folkes wrote:

will they play high enough to meet the rgw112? and if the answer is yes, have you got dibs on the prototypes yet?! dekked goes totally green, and i'm not talking about envy!

james.

At first listens it played up to 125hz no probs ...the rgw goes down to 80hz.

Dunno about dibs on the prototypes ...lets just say some exhaustive testing is about to begin! If they can stand a month with us then I reckon they`re safe for you lot!

.p.

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 4:17am
Those 4x12s look very nice Phil...the exterior dimensions remind me of the S1 bin...sort of "square" on end profile....also loads of attack and fast transient response from four 12" drivers.the cabinets look beautifully made..expensive? must be over 2 grand a box when loaded i reckon?
Ian.
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>