Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap or expensive? Repair of Crown XLS 802

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap or expensive? Repair of Crown XLS 802
    Posted: 16 May 2013 at 12:32am
Got a problem with a Crown XLS 802, was wondering is anyone had an idea of what could be wrong, if theres an easy fix i could try myself (bearing in mind im not an electrician ) or what it might cost.

It wasn't powering on at all so i took it apart myself hoping it might be in internal fuse, then found a burn mark on the roof of the amp and this melted corner on its counterpart on the amp internals.

Anyone got any idea?

www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
Tan-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tan-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

Got a problem with a Crown XLS 802, was wondering is anyone had an idea of what could be wrong, if theres an easy fix i could try myself (bearing in mind im not an electrician ) or what it might cost.

It wasn't powering on at all so i took it apart myself hoping it might be in internal fuse, then found a burn mark on the roof of the amp and this melted corner on its counterpart on the amp internals.

Anyone got any idea?

leave it to a tech guy to carry out repair work....as you could make things worse if unsure on what to do...
Get some quotes before taking it a long for repair... 
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 3:58pm
for burns like that, i would presume there was a high current flowing between heatsink and amp lid/chassis, causing high temp arcing melting said heatsink. This current would have presumably shorted out somewhere and caused the amp to go bang bang.

I cannot tell you any more, just that that is what is likely to have caused that damage. The problem will be something component level, major or minor who knows without looking!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:25pm
On the plus side, it wasn't a great amp to start with!

The heatsinks are live as with most Crown amps and I don't think they make any attempt to insulate the top of them.  Would probably have required a reasonable weight on the lid to push it down though.

Worst case is that shorting the power rail to the case could have taken out the transformer.  I would offer to take a look but the turnaround time is likely to be quite long.
Radeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:30pm
2 similar fails happened to me , but on older smaller amps 2x 200w, and they both survived (just a fuse in the power supply needed to be changed )
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:07am
Thanks for your help guys, Yeah I took the lid off hoping it was a fuse which I could simply switch but doesnt seem to be as simple as that , cant find any internal fuses at all? there's not even one on the kettle lead input as there usually is on amps.

Money is tight at the moment as just spent over 2k on system upgrades so i guess this will sit in my garage gathering dust until i have need for it and some money to play with Tongue
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:45pm
  Don't these have a breaker rather than a fuse? It could be that this has failed due to excess current but if nothing else has gone bang I would be very, very suprised.
techie47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2013 at 11:15pm
I am a techican and bought a XLS802 for parts with the same problem as yours.   The amp would power up with the blue light , but  the red fault light would stay on.  The top cover has touched the heatsinks and caused this. I took the amp apart and found one circuit trace had burnt open near the filter capacitors. I patched  the trace and the amp now works like acharm at full power. I was lucky that the output transistors was not damaged from the shorting when I checked them.
 Post Reply Post Reply