Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanting to start building 2 Hd15's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanting to start building 2 Hd15's
    Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:18am
Iv got next to no knowledge of building a sound system but have some carpentry experience so the woodwork shouldn't be a problem! The things that worry me are crossovers? Drivers? Amps? Would just like some general help as I'm not sure where to look! thanks jack
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 1:15am
What's your purpose for this project?

Are you planning to add the HD15's to other speakers? If so, what are they?

If not, you will also need to think about what top boxes to use with the HD's.

A pair of HD15's on their own isn't going to be of much use to anyone..
jack lane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:38pm
Purpose is starting a free party rig which I hope to expand over time! No other speaker at present but later on will be used maybe with 1850's? And for tops I was considering mt130's? Or maybe for ease buy some for now?
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:20pm
For your long term plan, I don't think HD15s will be the best combo with 1850s.  Neither drops very low without a stack of them.  The 1850 is an all around bass enclosure, and would be a good replacement upgrade for an HD15.  If you want more bass below the HD15s you could do a band pass subwoofer or else some scoops.  If you are only going to build a pair, I would go with some Tapped horns or Bass Reflex for bass duty.  HD15s and MT130s for that matter will sound much better if you have a bunch of them in each stack.
jack lane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:09pm
Okay thanks for that! also say I had two subs with 800w drivers in each with 2 mid tops about 200w each what ampage would I need? And what else would I need just too run the speakers
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:23pm
providing the subs are 8ohm... i'd go for an amp with 1000/1000 @8ohm. the little bit of head room will stop you trying to run the amp into clip and making it sound nasty.

matrix do a MF3000... its well worth the money as i have a few matrix amps now and i love them to bits!

..plus it'll weigh about 10kg at a push.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
jack lane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:00pm
Okay! would I need an external crossover or anything like that?
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:54pm
Definitely.  External crossover is pretty much required.  You could try to make passive crossovers in the enclosures, but the components needed to make them capable of handling high powers won't save you any money and then you have 0 adjustment capabilities.
jack lane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 10:03pm
the connecting up sounds soo confusing !
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by jack lane jack lane wrote:

the connecting up sounds soo confusing !

It's really not that difficult. You just need to think about breaking it down to your signal chain. It should run something like this.

Source - Mixer - Active crossover - Amps - Speakers

If you're starting from scratch with building your system. I would reccomend the Punisher & Xtro combo. I've got 4 Punishers and they pump. Haven't heard the xtro but apparently it's one of the best sounding tops available.
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 11:38pm
Also it make things much easier and faster to connect everything up if you label the ends of your cables with where they are supposed to go!
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Monkeys Monkeys wrote:

A pair of HD15's on their own isn't going to be of much use to anyone..
would be a wicked techno rig LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>