Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Showco PA with the Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Incidentally I used to work for Marquee Audio doing installs. Useless fact!

Hopefully not the install at T** G****h**** in Bristol though... 'cause after Marquee had left I went through it and put all the Martin EM25's in the same phase... and connected the 1210 ground leads to the mixer... and turned the Speakon connectors in one of the bins so it was latched and working... etc etc, ad lib to fade!

Never done a job in Bristol so not me sir!
First fixed the Swindon Walkabout tho - that's about as close to Brizzle as I got!
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 11:20pm
Does anyone remember the Muscle Music PA rig?
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Operated by Mark Hardy and Alan Wick who later sold everything and formed Turbosound Sales. They used to use our horns which we built into Flight Cases. Didn't they start out as the Jam's PA people.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Operated by Mark Hardy and Alan Wick who later sold everything and formed Turbosound Sales. They used to use our horns which we built into Flight Cases. Didn't they start out as the Jam's PA people.
The worked with a lot of bands in that era - I think Will Norton (Big Will) used to work for them at the time. They had a nice 3 way floor monitor 15in/10in/horn IIRC - one of your builds Tony?
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 11:40am
I seem to remember they had a 5 way rig but don't know much about it. Maybe Will can let us know a little more about the setup?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

The Showco system was a bit of a joke in the trade in those days as it had no real bottom end at all, due to the fact that they were using K130 guitar speakers in all of their bass bins hence no real bass---Yes it was loud but one of the worst rigs that I have heard in my life.

I never realised that John,but reading the link posted by Chris...quote 

"48 folded-horn bass enclosures with JBL K130 4x15 speakers; each enclosure powered by one 600-watt mono amp."

How very odd,i wonder why they fitted them with K130's? i can only assume to get the high theroretical efficiency,but as you say,no low-end what so ever.....you would have thought,in raiding the JBL stockpiles to load them,they would have fitted at least K140's,or if money was no object (which presumably it wasnt) then K145's. Very strange.
Be seeing you.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 12:00pm
Absolutely right, Ian, the K145 would have been the ultimate choice from that range.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 12:30pm
In spite of Americans appearing to have more money and resources to use in those days compared with us, they had some some strange ideas about sound. The components were fine but the application was strange. I think they inherited there fundamental ideas from the Cinema Industry. which is probably why they stuck with 2 way systems for a long time, I.E. 4560 with an HF Horn on the top.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Incidentally I used to work for Marquee Audio doing installs. Useless fact!

Hopefully not the install at T** G****h**** in Bristol though... 'cause after Marquee had left I went through it and put all the Martin EM25's in the same phase... and connected the 1210 ground leads to the mixer... and turned the Speakon connectors in one of the bins so it was latched and working... etc etc, ad lib to fade!

Hey!!! I thougth that this was the  golden oldies vintage section. Go start your own thread about new-fangled connectors in the ultra modern still wet behind the ears baby boy section. TongueBig smile
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 1:18pm
LOL We only deal in Cannon, Amphenol and Neuts.
music is the message
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 3:27pm

In spite of Americans appearing to have more money and resources to use in those days compared with us, they had some some strange ideas about sound. The components were fine but the application was strange. I think they inherited there fundamental ideas from the Cinema Industry. which is probably why they stuck with 2 way systems for a long time, I.E. 4560 with an HF Horn on the top.

Tony is right there---For years the Yanks were only running two way systems and stubbornly would not change over to split more ways---In the seventies we were touring with a lot of top US acts mainly brought over by Kennedy Street Artistes in Manchester and a lot of the bands sound engineers were amazed to find us running a five way system including mono sub as they were so used to seeing every rig they used being only two way with stereo bass---it took them years to catch up and also to realize that mono sub or low bass was also the way to go.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

The worked with a lot of bands in that era - I think Will Norton (Big Will) used to work for them at the time. They had a nice 3 way floor monitor 15in/10in/horn IIRC - one of your builds Tony?

I knew Muscle Music well.  Pa, backline hire & a rehearsal space in the railway arches on Great Suffolk Street & Pocock St. 

Used to do a lot of rehearsals in their space and PA hire from Mark & Alan back in the day. 

It was where I first met the young Peter Brotzman.

; And yes the Jam became their big client.  

After the dissolution

Peter went off to join John & Tony at New North Road. 

Mark ended up running a hotel in the Caribbean 

& yes Alan went on to own it all... 

Last rig I hired was 1976 (farcanal it was that long ago)  when  I was touring with Johhny Thunders & the Heartbreakers stumbling round Europe in a skag induced haze (the band that is not Pete & I)  No sorry rewind last rig was a turbo system 1981 though for some reason Edwin Shirley,  Collie & mad Eric all ring bells.. 

Mark was around briefly last summer I believe the Brotz caught up with him. 

They also used to sponsor my racing motorcycle right through till the early eighties  

Good chaps in their day.. 
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>