Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC to DC converters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 9:18am
Bit a bit careful here, car amps run on 13.8V (not 12V) if you get a 12V tranny and rectify it (which I highly recommend you do!!!) then smooth with some lumpy caps (1Farad car one might do but check voltage rating and ripple current) you will end up with nearer 17V, can a car amp handle this?

Don't do anything daft with a car battery and a computer PSU.

1 car batteries give of explosive gas when charged.

2 a computer PSU (12V) will never charge a car battery (13.8V) without a buck converter.

SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Just realised I have a large-ish transformer here ... chunky thing - designed for LV lighting I think ....
12V rated at (I think) 300 or 350VA or so .... yours for a coupla beers .... but I _ain't_ shipping it .... collect from London E2.

perfect for what he needs they are fairly cheap anyway less than a tenner at most Elec wholesalers.
So problem solved if a nominal 12V is good enough for his needs rather than the usual 13 point 8 volts and incidentally most of the car amps will run at up to 16V having operating range of 10p6 - 16V but not all so best to check your particular device first but 13p8V is usually the upper limit for auto charge on cars with 12V systems
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 10:45am
that LV Lighting Transformer should be interesting for November 5th!

They have an AC output

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 11:34am
Originally posted by audiomik audiomik wrote:

that LV Lighting Transformer should be interesting for November 5th!

They have an AC output

Mik

Well erm - I WAS assuming he was gonna DIY the rectifier + smoothing LOL

DC would likely be 16-17V with bridge rectifier + caps ..... prob too high.

My Vibe (good quality) car amplifier states (I think) tolerates up to 18V .... but I sure as hell wouldn't use it like that (esp into low impedances). 15V or so mebbe ....

Edited by slaz - 02 July 2013 at 11:38am
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Baron Greenback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Greenback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2013 at 11:14pm
You can easily get hold of 230VAC-12VDC from China, if you want to step up to 13.5 try this: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-10-60V-to-12-80V-600W-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Voltage-Module-24V-36V-72V-80V-/251271648601?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3a80f51559 

It should work a treat mate just do not exceed the current, just out of curiosity is the amp rated at 800W @ 1 ohm, I ask as I have noticed a trend among car amps to state this alice-in-wonder-land power claim on their gear, and if this is the case, then this solution will definitely work. 

Edited by Baron Greenback - 03 July 2013 at 11:23pm
The doctor recons I'm paranoid... well he didn't say it exactly, but I just knew the bastard was thinking it!
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2013 at 12:16am
The switch mode supply I linked on the previous page is exactly the sort of thing that loads of people use with class D amps with no problems (Sure Electronics, hifimediy, etc.). I've happily raped a little 12v 2A one like that running a TA2020 full tilt for 8 hours without it skipping a beat (not that a TA2020 sounds any good when putting out its headlining figures...). Obviously if you get one rated at 200W you shouldn't expect to get 800W out of the amp, but getting the rated performance out of these things on 'peaky' applications like amps isn't an issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12