Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher or lab horn???????????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puffah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punisher or lab horn???????????
    Posted: 03 January 2007 at 3:18am
Ok been doing a lot of reading I want to build a small stack. The lab horns have 2 12inch subs in them and the punishers have one. It seams that the lab horn would go lower??? Am I right or wrong. It would be cheaper to build 2 lab horns then 4 punishers. Because of wood and parts. Does anyone make a punisher that uses a larger driver like a 15 or 18 or are you just better off going into the large horns at that point???? I have 4000 watts per side to run on my subs and 1200 per side for mids and highs. I was thinking either 4 punishers or 2 lab horns and a extro on each. Putting the 1000 watts into the extros. Then all I would need to do is get a couple small amps to run my mid and highs. Cheap. I Can not get the driver in the US that you are using in the punisher cabinates??? I have seen anouther person using the p audio 12 inch in there cabinate but they did not post if they changed the design or not. I think he left it the same. Does anyone know how well this cabinate would work with this sub...? Thanks for any help you can give. Nato
vicious bass since 1988
pope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 9:08am
Hi!
2000 w for each Lab is taking it to the edge. Check the ProSoundWeb. Two Eminence Lab 12 handles 2x400w. You are pretty safe under 1200-1500W depending of EQ. If you burn one driver the other one will be ripped apart at the same time. The weight of one LABHorn is 112 kg (birch ply). I have got two Labs and they are very good subs but I would go for 4 Punisher instead (the plans was not available at the time I built my Labs) The Lab is more difficult to build than the Punisher. More angles!
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:21am
Labs will go lower, but they're designed to be used in groups of 4 min. so building two won't do what they're intended for.

Two completely different animals.

Jim
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:43am
I think the first sentence makes the decision.  For a small stack, you're looking at Punishers rather than labs.  Labs are gonna do the business if you need real sub-bass and lots of it but for most small to medium sized applications Punishers are going to be a better bet.

Driver-wise, hopefully Marcia (Nexus3) will have tested the SD12 soon and he can tell you if it works ok.  Another possible option might be the B&C 12TBX100. Not quite the excursion capability of the Ciare but looks to be the right type of driver.

puffah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puffah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 6:39pm
everyone is saying to over drive the punishers with 1500k per cabinate. I have 2 crest audio ca 12's right now for my sub stage. If I ran 4 cabinates I could run at 4ohm mono. In the crest manual it says I should not go lower then 4. I thought it was 2 ohm stable bridged but I guess its only 4. Should I bridge the ca12's ??? Does anyone know what the lab subs should be driven with wattage wise per cabinate?? If I use the p audio 12's I think they are only 600 watts instead of the 1000 watts that the c drivers are. Do you think this might be a better match to my CA12's since I would be putting 2800watts into 4 600 watt drivers. If that is the case I would be over driving them like everone is saying to do??? why are people over driving these subs???? Does the box have so much control over the speaker that it will not blow???? thanks nate
vicious bass since 1988
puffah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puffah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 6:43pm
sorry just re read a post I guess 1200 watts is the power for a lab horn
vicious bass since 1988
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 12:40pm

Hello,

The Punisher is much smaller and lighter then the LAB-horn (about 2.5x smaller). Take a look at this picture for a comparison:

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8876/forum1ek1.jpg

The LAB plays lower, the Punisher louder. As for the picture, this was at a submeeting here in the Netherlands. In this occasion the four Punishers we brought blew away the 2x LAB-horns which were also present. However, the LAB-horn owner indicated the thought something was not 100% right with his two LAB's because he had used other LAB-horns which were louder.

At a distance of about 3 metres we measured >130dB with the four Punishers. We were powering them with a Crest CA12 and a QSC PL4.0 (8 ohm Ciare drivers).

Best regards,
Walt

Edited by Contour - 04 January 2007 at 12:46pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 1:17pm
I mentioned to Puffas in a PM that its a shame we don't have pic comparissons of the Punisher and Lab side by side.  I think even that pic is deceiving.  The Lab is so much deeper when laid down.  Be nice to have a shot of one of each stood on their backs
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 2:18pm
The first time I saw a LAB-horn (but even now) I was very impressed with the size. I have had quite some experience with F1 F218 Bins but these LAB-horns are even much bigger then those F218's. The big size obviously does not have to be a disadvantage if you do not have to take stairs (use castors). I think it would take 3-4 people to move a LAB on stairs. A Punisher is a one or two man load.

As for comparing Punisher/LAB-horn, very difficult animals indeed. The only thing I can advise to have a listen to both (properly amped of course) and decide what you like best.

Best regards,

Walt
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 3:57am
@Puffah

CA-12 is a great amp. Yes it is 2ohm stable per chanell, NOT bridged. I dont think there are many 2ohm stabele amps in bridged mode.

Only two i know are Crown 5000 which is 1 ohm stable per channel and Crest 10000.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
TDA-Audio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDA-Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 5:46pm
the nearest analogue Punisher

http://www.eaw.com/products/DCS2.html

EAW DC-2 little more. but driver same and long same

APPROXIMATELY plans

driver in EAW 2xCiare
Sibulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sibulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2007 at 9:24am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

@Puffah

CA-12 is a great amp. Yes it is 2ohm stable per chanell, NOT bridged. I dont think there are many 2ohm stabele amps in bridged mode.

Only two i know are Crown 5000 which is 1 ohm stable per channel and Crest 10000.

Yeh the crown will run a 1R p/ch but it will distort to f**k!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>