Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher or lab horn???????????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puffah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2007 at 1:45pm
Thanks walt for the pics. I know its hard to give advise because it sounds like personal preference. I need to figure my system out and I have been slowly doing that. I was thinking of picking up 2 10004 crest amps to run my subs run the 2 ca12 on the midbass cabs and ca9 and crest vl 650's on my extros. Still unsure of my design. I guess my question is do the punishers keep up with the lab horns or would I be better off doing lab horns with hd 15 as mid bass and a extro on top. But does the extro kind of already go as low as the hd 15. So the extros you can not array because they are square cabinates I would be better off using a diffrent top cab like the MT-22. I guess its two differnt ways of going about it. 3types of cabinates or 2 to make the stacks. Using the extros and punishers would be easier to get around but would it sound as good as doing lab horns hd15 and mt 22. It would be a much bigger system if I do the 3 cabs with the labs but i feel it would sound better???? Or do I just do like 8 punishers and 2 extros for each side. The other would be 4 labhorns 4 hd15 and 2 or 3 mt-22 per side. These are my thoughts as today.

Edited by puffah - 13 January 2007 at 1:51pm
vicious bass since 1988
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 3:00am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I think the first sentence makes the decision.  For a small stack, you're looking at Punishers rather than labs.  Labs are gonna do the business if you need real sub-bass and lots of it but for most small to medium sized applications Punishers are going to be a better bet.

Driver-wise, hopefully Marcia (Nexus3) will have tested the SD12 soon and he can tell you if it works ok.  Another possible option might be the B&C 12TBX100. Not quite the excursion capability of the Ciare but looks to be the right type of driver.

i'm working on a 12'' right now, so hold your horse's
it has more energy than the ciare and is a little warmer (lower)

i will be testing it tomorrow with the stiffer cone 

Edited by mykey - 16 January 2007 at 2:41am
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 3:43am
I have seen pics and specs of Mykey's 12" driver, looks very promising so far. The Ciare however is very good value for money and already has proven itself.

Best regards,

Walt
Sibulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sibulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 8:42am
Originally posted by puffah puffah wrote:

Thanks walt for the pics. I know its hard to give advise because it sounds like personal preference. I need to figure my system out and I have been slowly doing that. I was thinking of picking up 2 10004 crest amps to run my subs run the 2 ca12 on the midbass cabs and ca9 and crest vl 650's on my extros. Still unsure of my design. I guess my question is do the punishers keep up with the lab horns or would I be better off doing lab horns with hd 15 as mid bass and a extro on top. But does the extro kind of already go as low as the hd 15. So the extros you can not array because they are square cabinates I would be better off using a diffrent top cab like the MT-22. I guess its two differnt ways of going about it. 3types of cabinates or 2 to make the stacks. Using the extros and punishers would be easier to get around but would it sound as good as doing lab horns hd15 and mt 22. It would be a much bigger system if I do the 3 cabs with the labs but i feel it would sound better???? Or do I just do like 8 punishers and 2 extros for each side. The other would be 4 labhorns 4 hd15 and 2 or 3 mt-22 per side. These are my thoughts as today.

Putting Labs with HD15's and X-Tros above would sort of defet the point of the X-Tro, as it has twin horn loaded 15's that server a similar purpose to the HD, i.e Kick Bass.

Also 8 Punishers with only 2 X-Tros might be a bit sub heavy.
puffah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puffah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 3:05pm
your right it should be like 3 punishers to every extro from what I have read. But I do like bass. Miami rock'en baby. I was understanding the extro hd15 difference already. That was what I was trying to talk about If it would be better to have the cabinates appart instead of all together. have been wondering about those p audio 12's. I like the lower power rating on them. They will work better on my ca12's. Mykey has not built them yet? So who knows. They look pretty meatie. I guess I need to deside if I'm going big or not. Got a good deal today a crest pro8001 for 600 bucks.Basically the pro verson of the ca12. I love craigslist everything is so much cheaper then e bay.
vicious bass since 1988
puffah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puffah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 3:06pm
your right it should be like 3 punishers to every extro from what I have read. But I do like bass. Miami rock'en baby. I was understanding the extro hd15 difference already. That was what I was trying to talk about If it would be better to have the cabinates appart instead of all together. have been wondering about those p audio 12's. I like the lower power rating on them. They will work better on my ca12's. Bartic has not built them yet? So who knows. They look pretty meatie. I guess I need to deside if I'm going big or not. Got a good deal today a crest pro8001 for 600 bucks.Basically the pro verson of the ca12. I love craigslist everything is so much cheaper then e bay.

Edited by puffah - 15 January 2007 at 2:22am
vicious bass since 1988
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 3:57pm
it seems that building of the Sd12 loaded punisher is due to start tomorow if everything works as it should.

wish me luck!
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
puffah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puffah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 2:20am
can't wait to hear how it turns out. I'm very interested in that driver. Has anyone looked into using the lab sub in the punisher. Those drivers are pretty big and cheap
vicious bass since 1988
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 5:25am
They aren't that cheap in the UK puffah, £27 more expensive each than the Ciare 12SW and only rated for half the power.
puffah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puffah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 9:58am
Im a eminance dealer I think I pay 124 dollars for them. Thats pretty cheap. The cheapest I can find the ciare is 250. I not a dealer. I can also buy from a company at cost that stocks p audio, 18 sound, and b&c. So I can build the extros. The drivers for the punishers I'm not locked into yet????
vicious bass since 1988
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 6:50pm
Perhaps best to wait and see what results Mircea gets with a punisher loaded with an sd12. I believe he is building them at the moment or at least soon.
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:40am
Still it might be very difficult for him to tell how the P-Audio SD-12 performs since he does not have any Ciare 12.00SW to compare with.

Best regards,

Walt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>