Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier cutting out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alec_Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifier cutting out
    Posted: 05 July 2013 at 12:28pm
Hey guys, I finally finished my setup, but I have a few big issues..

Note: I have a 800 watt JVC Amplifier. But NO Stereo. I just used RCA cables from my phone straight into the amp!

To turn the amp on I have Bridged a wire from the Power terminal on the amp to the remote terminal.

It seemed to all work, with the power light turning on. except when I try turn the volume up to a decent level, it cuts out the amp, then when I turn the volume back down a little, it will turn back on and play perfect.

Is there something wrong with my amp?!

FIY: I tryed running it off a Car jumper pack, and a big car battery and both did the same thing.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 12:37pm
it must have a cheap limiter circuit in it... and iv had a few that got real hot real fast and thermal'd, then once the temp dropped came back on.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Alec_Hood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alec_Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 12:47pm
I thought that too, but it will do it even when I just turn it on?
Like, it's not hot at all
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 2:07pm
Check for a short circuit in the speaker wiring. Is the sound OK up to the cutoff point or is it distorted at all? 800 watts isn't that big for a car amp, and is probably the 2 ohm rating. If you have 8 ohm speakers it will only put out 200 watts into them. Perhaps it just isn't as loud as you are expecting?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 2:19pm
Sounds like there is an output impedance problem (short circuit / too low impedance) - triggering some protection.

Alternatively, low Vin to the amplifier. Have you tried metering the supply as it cuts out?
Alec_Hood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alec_Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 3:26pm
The sound is perfect up to when it cuts out, The amp is 4 Ohms Independence , so is the speakers and Sub..
I am pretty sure it is going no where near as loud as it is meant to.
Alec_Hood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alec_Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 3:28pm
No I haven't tried that, But what would be causing it to short circuit? 
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Alec_Hood Alec_Hood wrote:

The amp is 4 Ohms Independence , so is the speakers and Sub..

If the speaker and sub are both 4ohms and wired in parallel your amp would see a load of 2 ohms!!

This would cause it go into protection mode.
Alec_Hood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alec_Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 3:54pm
That makes a bit of sense!
But how do I fix it? haha
Alec_Hood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alec_Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 2:53am
None of the speakers or sub is wired parallel.
The Amp manual suggests I use 4 Ohm speakers, and a 4 Ohm Sub
Bridge the Sub so I have double power
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 4:13am
Get a multimeter.

1. Disconnect the output loudspeakers from the amplifier, and measure the resistance (Stick on 10R on the multi). Report back.

2. Put the multimeter across the input power terminals, and watch the voltage as you force it to 'cut out'. Report the lowest number that you see on screen.

GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 3:04pm
Double check all your speaker wires and power cables. Sounds like its shorting itself out and going into protect for some reason. Have you tried it on a different speaker set to rule out wiring problems?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>