Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MHB-46 Measurements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 4:56pm
You will need about 3000W across those two boxes. then you will really see what they can do.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
slaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 11:09pm
Sorry that I didn't reply sooner, but I haven't been around here in a little while.

I haven't been able to make any testing yet, mainly because the carpenter has been really bissy with other things.
But I will probably get the ports after the weekend.... (probably) Smile

As for the response of the subs.
Well they probably doesn't dig deep enough for dub and roots and such, but since that's not my main goal I don't care.
But they are damn efficient, but I have also noticed that you have to give them some welly for them to "come alive" sort of speaking.

I don't really miss anything in depth from them, but a little more almost "free" doesn't hurt.
The aim is probably around 42-45hz, that should be enough I think.

Will do some testing with measurements in the weeks to come.
I will also try to incorporate it properly with my top system, which is now properly calibrated and measured.
And of course listened to.
But I have some thought about new low-mids, short hybrid horn.
Doing 110-350Hz, in a small 50x50x35cm trapezoid box.
To stack properly under my tops.
I also thought som more about your "brute force" kicks Marjan, did some simulating and with some boost at 110hz the response would be nice and flat.
slaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2014 at 10:12am

Update:

This thread is not forgotten.
I did some listening with a couple of friends during the weekend, where two are involved in the THAM series among other things.

We got to talking of improvements on the MHB:s.
And from mailing and simulating we have come to the conclusion that the hornpath in itself is really well thought out.
The peak is perfect where it is for a nice swift kick to the body, we think that it will only muddy things if we make the horn longer.
But I did a plan for an alternate baffle and hornpath in CAD.
Though it will probably never be built.

So I got the suggestion that thinking that the port response doesn't need to be the same amplitude as the horn, looking back at JBL hybrid horn boxes from way back you could see that the slope is tilting downwards from the horn response towards 20Hz.

So the idea is just to keep the port area as it is, and just make it alot longer.
Between 30-35 cm or as much as I can fit in the box before being unable to touch remove the driver.
I have a lid on the top to remove the driver.

This will take down the group delay into the low twentys, which is really good.
The port response will be wider and therefore you get more output at 40Hz, the distortion from the air will probably be a little lower.

Also the suggestion was to decrease the rear chamber volume by maybe 20-30 liters, and simulations in another program showed that this would increase the amount of power before running out of Xmax.
Although I gave them at least 1kw on several occasions and they just took it, no problems what so ever.
But making the rearchamber smaller isn't easy, but you will automatically loose some volume upon increasing the port length.
And some wood to make the chamber and hornpath a little sturdier and voila, well you get the idea.

We think that this is something that will make the MHB even better, this is already a prettty great all in one box.
Will try to do this when time permits, it's mid winter here.
So the weather for outside measurements isn't really that nice.

Thoughts, suggestions ....pies in the face?

Patrik
swapwaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swapwaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 12:25pm
I need MHB46 plan PDF
swap.waky@gmail.com
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 8:05pm
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123