FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wi-Fi rang extenders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wi-Fi rang extenders
    Posted: 31 July 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by reessi reessi wrote:

Just connect the D-link router to the virgin via ethernet and turn off wireless on the Virgin. On the D-link one you must login and turn off DHCP so that anything connected to the D-link will go straight through and ask for an IP from the Virgin one. You must change the ip on the D-link one from the default usually 192.168.1.254 as this is likly what your virgin one is!Change to ip you can remember like 192.168.1.100 and use that for subesquent logins. Change all Dlink settings before conecting it to virgin one! Good luck, I have diasy chained 3 routers in a row like this to share our internet with 2 neigbours.

You can do as above but leave the wifi switched on on the virgin router, set the dlink wifi to another channel and use the same encryption settings and key on both and you will be able to roam between the two.
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 2:30pm
Just connect the D-link router to the virgin via ethernet and turn off wireless on the Virgin. On the D-link one you must login and turn off DHCP so that anything connected to the D-link will go straight through and ask for an IP from the Virgin one. You must change the ip on the D-link one from the default usually 192.168.1.254 as this is likly what your virgin one is!Change to ip you can remember like 192.168.1.100 and use that for subesquent logins. Change all Dlink settings before conecting it to virgin one! Good luck, I have diasy chained 3 routers in a row like this to share our internet with 2 neigbours.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 9:05pm
I can recommend the Belkin range extenders as well as their wireless routers.  From the ones I've tried they've performed the best.
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 8:22pm
Another thing you can try is login to the modem, and take it off auto channel, and try different channels, and see if one particular channel has a better range.
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 11:44am
Thanks Ginge, good advice there!

S
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 4:19pm
if you used to manage range where it once was, just add a decent powered extender on ethernet at the routers location, and turn off wireless from the virgin router running everything off the extender. The router will also benefit from having less workload on it, generally giving a more reliable connection in my experience.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 4:16pm
i have two Edimax AP... model extenders running, pretty simple really.

They come with a nice little GUI, plug them into a pc via ethernet, go through the options:

1: take feed from main router via ethernet and run as a transmitter, router name/passwords can be configured etc

2: extender, takes wireless signal from main router, and transmits again.

With mine i found if you set the router name and IP address of the extender identical to the name of the main router, it will seamlessly transfer to the router of best signal. Only device that seems to have a problem with that is the iphone 3GS if you are directly inbetween the two, any other device has no problem.

My only problem is that the extenders only manage about a 12.5mb/s web downspeed as they do not have great signal where they are, compared to the 75mb/s of the infinity router - obviously still powerful enough for what i need of them. Ideally id like to ethernet them to get full speed but locations do not support this.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 1:40pm
Virgin eejits have replaced my trusty old D-Link router with there own piece of cheap garbage. The signal no longer reaches the hammock at the end of my garden.

So, I have some Qs on range extenders.

1. Which are the good ones (just need a full signal at 50-60 feet, have line of sight to the room where the router is)?
2. Are these just plug in an play or do I need to go through a whole load of difficult configs, passwords etc?

Thanks,

Shane
 Post Reply Post Reply