Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoot horn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoot horn.
    Posted: 12 July 2013 at 7:21pm
Be seeing you.
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 8:39pm
Altec A7 design type but with two ports???? Should be a good midbass box.   VECTORDJ
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 8:46pm
Yup,Altec A7/JBL 4560 type of affair,but enormous,4foot x 3 foot x 3 foot.
Be seeing you.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 9:28pm
Now there's a blast from the past!
I was demoed a Zoot Horn system some years ago by Alan Cheetham in Manchester (sold mostly studio kit and some PA stuff - anyone remember him?).
Well made and very punchy but felt like it had been bolted to the ground!
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 10:25pm
Definitely a name from the past, Anyone know any history. I only knew them from their ad's in Beat Instrumental
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 12:01am
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 4:58am
The seller also has some awesome vintage Hi-Fi stuff.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 9:54am
There is this on FacelessBook:https://www.facebook.com/ZootHornGear - there are some scans of their brochures/catalogue here. Will keep looking for more stuff.

Edited by jazomir - 13 July 2013 at 9:55am
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 10:36am
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

There is this on FacelessBook:https://www.facebook.com/ZootHornGear - there are some scans of their brochures/catalogue here. Will keep looking for more stuff.

Interesting reading some of the spec sheets, the B4 system was rated at 1500 watts only but I bet it was as loud as hell, nice post
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 10:54am
Nice post Trevor.

As Colin says above,i bet that would rip your ears off at 30 feet. Some nice components in there too,4xJBL 2405's on VHF...2 inch radials,ATC on mids,Gauss bass,it didnt come much better than that in the 70's.

Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 11:05am
I get the feeling they might have underrated the system power wise I would have thought the bass alone would be 800watts per cab with the Gauss in them but then again that sort of power was almost unheard of back then.
I like the smaller A4 system too, this looks almost 4560 based and very similar to a system I had back then except mine was 4560 with Gauss, RCF mid, RCF 1" on a JBL horn and RCF TW105 bullets, sounded great and was the envy of more than a few local Dj's. 

Edited by colint - 13 July 2013 at 11:08am
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 11:55am
Just found these: http://www.desch-audio.de/drop.shop/details.php?id=1174&kategorie=52  and http://www.desch-audio.de/drop.shop/details.php?id=137&kategorie=24 . There isn't a lot of info about Zoot Horn - the seach is made more difficult because there is/was an American amplifier manufacturer called Zoot Horn and someone who posts a lot on audio forums who uses the tag Zoot Horn. But I shall continue my search. 

Remember Google is your friend but you need Boolean logic to use it properly.

Edit: I have just read that Hatfield and the North used a Zoot Horn PA system (at least in their early days) so I probably did see & hear a system at one of their gigs. I have also tracked  down someone who has more info on Zoot Horn and I am awaiting a response to a post on a forum he hangs out on.

Edited by jazomir - 13 July 2013 at 12:17pm
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>