Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoot horn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 2:04pm
Fantastic work and much appreciated. Zoot Horn used some nice components by the looks of it.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 3:03pm
I've been responsible for more cabs in the past than I care to remember, but that catalogue picture reminds me of one of my bigger moments in the business. It was the design and production of the TRF570 horn. It was my first one in '75 and I'm pleased to say played a fairly important role in transforming the PA business. Today, we are spoilt for choice but back then, there was very little. There was always the 2345, but in those days a Mortgage was needed to purchase them, so their use was limited to the big boys only. The others available were the Celestion horns which I used originally and the RCF4823 which I also used. However, there were box makers who could do stuff but were limited because of the expense of horns. Along comes me with a horn with accurate reproduction that could be bought for £18.50. I used to sell around 60 per week. Everyone seemed to want to use them and it was a good intro into some of the biggest PA companies at the time.
Sorry Ifthis seemed like a Hi Jack but that picture brought back memories of exciting times in the business for me. I'm sure many people still use these horns without realizing they are ASS horns.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 4:17pm
I agree with you Tony,if it wasnt for your early fibre-glass horns,many of the big sound systems in the 70's and 80's simply wouldn't have existed,as there was no way most of us could afford the 2345 or 2350 imported JBL stuff,you took the 2350,made a fibre glass version that actually sounded better than the original,plonk a Gauss HF4000 on the end,and bingo,better performance than the 2350/2441 combination,at under half the cost. Clap
Be seeing you.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 4:30pm
Just found this post, took me wayback to the first real band I worked with called Zzebra when they signed to Polydor ? the advance paid for four stacks of Zoot horn A4 c/w dc300a's on bass and some HH on the rest. Must have been 1973. We had a trusty Ford 7.5t D series and rattled that rig in and out of venues all over the UK and Europe non stop for a good few years. I was backline & monitor boy then and though we all helped on the build it was my oppo Marty Haynes who ran the system. P.A was in its infancy we all learnt by the seat of our pants and watching our peers, afaik the system sounded fine & was reliable enough. It wasn't until much later I got into sound systems as such.. Just thinking about it has me reeling, holy macaroni 40 years back life on the road was different , Blue boar Watford sticks out. Golden diamond club,  Newcastle ballroom, Aberystwyth uni, funny the odd names that pop out in ones memories. It's all dissipated into the mists of time, for some reason I think Edwin took it in the end against storage fee's, after the demise  I went off and toured with Thunders and the Heartbreakers and that was another whole bunch of munkey business..

Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Nice post Trevor.

As Colin says above,i bet that would rip your ears off at 30 feet. Some nice components in there too,4xJBL 2405's on VHF...2 inch radials,ATC on mids,Gauss bass,it didnt come much better than that in the 70's.

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12