Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" x 1" project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10" x 1" project
    Posted: 14 July 2013 at 11:57am
Hi everyone,

I'm gonna start a 10" x 1" project and i'm in need of some help. After some research i've (kinda) decided on Beyma SM 110/N as the midrange and BMS 4524 on a STH100 horn for tops. I already have 2 15" 500w subs to go beneath them. The 10x1 will be actively crossed at 120-150hz and 1,9-2khz. My first question is: will the Beyma's be able to do this?

Secondly, i've went in bassbox to try and design an enclosure. 20l internal volume (volume of the speaker deducted already) tuned at around 70hz. When i plot this, the graph doesn't go anywhere near 2khz at desired levels. I'm kind of a newbie at all this so can't really interpret the numbers and graphs, but is this normal? Or have i forgotten something in the equation? Or is the box just too small and is that why there is this 90-200hz hump instead of a flat response?

Sorry for the big picture.
This system is meant to sound good and provide around 100 people with music at club level volume and be compact at the same time. It's mainly because of budget that i've decided on this type of speaker. 2x 10" or 8" would be a bit too steep. But if you guys think that even 1x10" + 1 wont cut it for 100 people then i'm gonna go with the double route (after i've saved up Wink)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smile
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 2:02pm
Tshu
firstly knowing where you are located will be of use in giving good advice since different manufacturers only have availability in some places!

A 10"+1" will cover your requirement but have a look for more dedicated Mid-Range Drivers which are more efficient than the one you are looking at.
Find something which has 98dB/1W/1M. This is effectively doubling your input power compared with the the 95dB/1W/1M of the SM110/N.

The B&C 250 AMX is a possible, but not sure if these are still in production.

Welcome to SP
Mik

Edit: correct 'Driver part number

Edited by audiomik - 14 July 2013 at 2:10pm
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Tshu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 2:34pm
Hi Mik, thanks for your answer.
I currently live in Belgium.
I've been looking at Beyma 10mi100 and faital 10PR310 wich i think seem very good, but also twice the price as the SM 110/N. I can't find any datasheets for the B&C you mention. Thomann still sell them, but they are not mentioned on the site of B&C.

Also, what do you make of the plot? Is it the software wich is incapable of simulating midrange or is it normal?

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 2:52pm
Software generally doesn't do much above 500Hz.

Datasheet for the B&C 250 AMX here:
http://www.thomann.de/it/bc_amx_250.htm
link is 'Datasheet' - towards the bottom of the webpage, just below: "Navigatore intelligente" for the B&C product info.

They cross over very well onto 1" Compression drivers.

Haven't tried the other drivers you ask about, but have good results from the B&C's in 2 way boxes here, used in a Commercial product which is the Dare Micro 101
http://www.dareproaudio.com/PDF's/micro101ss.pdf
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 4:29pm
I have 10" + 1" over 18" subs in my system, I use the Fane Sovereign 10-300 with a Beyma CD10Fe 1" comp on a Celestion H1-7050 horn, enclosure is 32l internal volume and tuned to 71hz. The Fane 10-300 to CD10Fe Xover is 1.8Khz. I have also tried 3.5Khz Xover but the 10's start to beam and the mid clarity is not as good.  

I have 8 single 18" subs (4 each side….. approximately equivalent to 2 G-subs each side) loaded with Fane Colossus 18XB's ( the older 600/800watt version) and 6 of the mid-tops, I also have 4 x15" 500 watt kicks but very seldom need/use them as the subs easily get to 120hz (bass/mid Xover).

The system was built like this as it has to be very flexible and must be able to be scaled from about 50 people to over 400 but to be honest most to the time I just use one pair of subs and a pair of tops… you would not believe how this much noise a pair of the mid/tops with two 18's can make and still sounds very good. 

Alan.
Tshu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 2:03pm
Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into the b&c and fane. I know the sovereign series a bit, the 15" i've heard all seem very nice for the price, but the 12" on the other hand seem to be lacking a bit in definition to my ears, but perhaps that due to the soundman or builders...
Do you have to EQ them hard?

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 2:34pm
No…. not really , sometimes I add a few dB gain around 800hz as there is a small dip in the response there.

I also have a pair of these drivers  (also with CD10Fe comps) in two passive monitors, Obviously I've had to add an L-Pad to the Beyma to bring the output down to that of the Fane, but I've also had to add a Zoble to the Fanes to keep the mids under control near the Xover point. If the tops you have heard are passive and missing the Zoble maybe thats why the definition is lacking.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 2:45pm
Another driver to consider is the RCF L10 568H
Tshu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 8:40pm
Thanks i'll look into it aswell. You're saying these are better or on par with the faital, beyma, b&c drivers mentioned above?
 Post Reply Post Reply