Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebadged matrix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebadged matrix
    Posted: 14 July 2013 at 11:37pm
Hi all, ive got a Sherman 410A that decided to catch fire today for no apparent reason.. driving 8ohm monitors at low level. Its only been used in theaters for monitoring.
Anyone had any problems with these.
lucky I had another couple of labs in a rack with me so show was safe.. Just a bit concerned as ive also got a Matrix XT4004EQ which hasnt been used yet but was destined for a 3 way rack driving mids and tops..after tonite im'e a bit reluctant to do that..
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 11:59pm
I've put numerous Matrix amps into installs - and as yet none of the venues have been reduced to charcoal. Nor am I worried that my amp rack is going to catch light and bring any future venues to the ground.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 12:09am
Your man is right, Matrix and fires aren't well linked, but if the thing really did catch fire, like fire, not just smoke, I suspect it was jammed with dust, I would get it over to Matrix ASAP, I sure they take these thing VERY seriously...

Smile
Gadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 12:57am
Just had top cover off...no real dust in there big burn mark between heatsink and Pcb... looks like output devices have gone.. the fail was dramatic.. had low music coming thru monitors then nothing but arcing sound coming from wings of venue.. when got to it black smoke blowing out and inside lit up.. quickly pulled the powercon.. had venue staff opening dock to get smoke out..lucky no drivers died as well..
Gadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 12:59am
BTW Dylan any update on silver star bits.. narrowed fault down to CPU chip on the board..
Cheers.
Will phone Matrix in morning...

nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 6:55am
I have a 4004eq that I use for monitors and small jobs, I've pretty much run it ragged when needed and always been fine "so far"
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 7:00am
the thing that can cause the output stage to fail is putting 2 sets of outputs together.
easy done with NL4.

need the amp back to see what has happened.
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Gadget Gadget wrote:

BTW Dylan any update on silver star bits.. narrowed fault down to CPU chip on the board..
Cheers.
Will phone Matrix in morning...

Ill speak to the guy today for you and let you know.
Gadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 11:07am
Hi Andy.all speakon although NL4 were on 2 core cable so not that..Will call you guys soon..
ReubGold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReubGold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 11:33am

Hi all, ive got a Sherman 410A that decided to catch fire today for no apparent reason.. driving 8ohm monitors at low level. Its only been used in theaters for monitoring.
Anyone had any problems with these.
lucky I had another couple of labs in a rack with me so show was safe.. Just a bit concerned as ive also got a Matrix XT4004EQ which hasnt been used yet but was destined for a 3 way rack driving mids and tops..after tonite im'e a bit reluctant to do that..

what's the equivalent Matrix branded amp, XT4004EQ?

If he turns me into a zombie, first person I'm coming after is you.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 12:25pm

Hi Andy.all speakon although NL4 were on 2 core cable so not that..Will call you guys soon..

It's still possible if one of the amps outputs is 4 pole, one of your 2 core cable conductors could have touched another NL4 internal contact. Best visually check and meter all your cables anyway just to be sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply